Twin Souls: The Path Of Shadows Has Pretty Dead Things

“The stealth looks too easy, but these murders sure do look pretty,” declare news overlord Alice, as she strokes a cat made out of pale, white bytes. We all nod. In the interstitial place that is the RockPaperShotgun headquarters, all hearts are one. Lince Works’ Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows [official site] is an interesting beast. For a stealth game, the stealth-y parts of this Japanese-flavored work-in-progress don’t look terribly difficult. But the kill sequences, at least in this gameplay video, seem quite elegant.

According to the description on YouTube, the video actually showcases the game at a simpler difficulty. Possibly so the devs don’t have to spend hours trying to pull off kick-ass moves, I suppose. In case you’ve not read about the game before, Twin Souls will have you controlling an undead dude named Aragami. For reasons that will no doubt be explained in-game, you’re irrevocably bound to a damsel-in-possible-distress named Yamiko who is, in turn, being imprisoned by a company of warriors capable of controlling the Light. I don’t know about you, but I am suspicious about whether we’d be fighting this battle from a moral high ground.

ANYWAY.

The game will have you mowing through a legion of unsuspecting personnel, even as you break through Yamiko’s prison seals. Along the way, you’ll also possibly be trying to recover your own memories because what game is complete without a touch of amnesia? No concrete release date has been listed as of yet. The best we can do is tell you it might be coming in spring 2016.

1. Bernardo says:

IIRC, there’s a demo/prototype on ModDB.

• RedViv says:

Indeed there is. I wondered for ten minutes why I remember, very distinctly, playing this unreleased game.

Then I recalled that it was a prototype release from November 2013, and I very much enjoyed that. So, looking forward to the full release.

2. Xerophyte says:

Oh dear. Patches of inky blackness that suddenly appear in your path were apparently not covered in Guard School for those poor fellows.. Also, princess “darkness-child” seems a bit on the nose.

3. jcvandan says:

Looks pretty cool but I agree, it definitely look too easy. The ‘create shadow path in front of yourself’ looks like a step too far, and possibly displays a lack of confidence in their level design ability?

• draven says:

Constructive Criticism 101: Thou shallt not complain about a game sub-titled “Path of Shadows” allowing you to actually create an actual path of actual shadows.

Anyway, I agree that the video makes enemies look a bit dumb and easy, it’s more a “see how many cool powers do youhave in the game” video than a second-to-second gameplay one, maybe they should have labeled it accordingly.

Disclosure: I know the guys who’re making it, but comments are my own

• thedosbox says:

I seem to recall the “create shadow” ability was a limited resource that would recharge over time? Or maybe it was all a dream.

• skyturnedred says:

Seemed to me the white colour in the cape depletes as the player creates shadows.

• jcvandan says:

Haha! Didn’t notice the sub-title… Like I said though, it looks cool and right up my alley. The levels do look and potentially nice and vertically, which is always a good sign.

• Ansob says:

This is literally the first paragraph of the video description:

Work in Progress gameplay from Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows. The difficulty is tuned down to showcase some of the gameplay mechanics. In the following months we’ll redo the AI and enemy behaviours, and we will add the 6 unlockable Shadow Powers.

• jrod says:

I am sure for the final game they will constrain your abilities considerably. All they would need to do is make usage of each mechanic a finite resource for a given area and it would force you to optimize when, where, and how to best use your abilities and still be successful. Looks very promising (and pretty) to me!

• Flopper says:

Go back and look at the ability list on Dishonored and tell me at face value the player character doesn’t look OP as fuck. Then go play it on the hardest difficulty and stfu.

This game isn’t even in beta yet. All they need is a resource meter for the shadows and it will be fine. And make the enemies not completely retarded that you can sit on a ledge 5 feet above them in their direct line of sight and they ignore you.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I wonder if this is one of those deals where you start out the game with all your abilities, lose them and then have to slowly get them back.

I kind of like when games do that because it gives you a better idea of where to put your skill points.

4. frightlever says:

Tenchu?

• TallTippedT says:

I see a lot of Tenchu and a little bit of Mark of the Kri in this… Looks like it might be fun. I definetely watch out for it.

5. Ross Angus says:

Personally, I prefer stealth from the perspective of “no-one knows I was there”, rather than “stab ALL OF THE FACES”. Obviously this video was intended to demo specific aspects of the gameplay but perhaps the game will cater to gentleman taffers too.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I do too, but only generally — not exclusively. There are some killy stealth games that are a blast. Either way, this one does look pretty good.

6. DaftPunk says:

Funny thing,they made kill animations first in a stealth focused game instead of focusing on good difficulty curve and enemy ai. :v

Phasma Felis says:

This guy seems less like a stealthy ninja and more like a shadow wizard who occasionally also stabs people. Summoning a shadow dragon that eats people and drags their bodies into shadow certainly qualifies as “mastery of the shadows,” but I’m not sure you can really call it “stealth” anymore.