Remembering City Of Heroes

Sometimes you can wait too long, think it’s okay to put off saying that important thing to the game you love, and then they’re gone. Then time goes on, and it becomes less and less relevant to say. Then you never say it.

City Of Heroes shut off its servers about two and a half years ago. Alec had the sense to eulogise it then. I never got around to it. And yet my memories of the game still buzz around in my head, the fondness for the MMO that really was responsible for forming RPS, years before there was an RPS, all with no outlet. The game can’t really be included in Top X lists, since it’s unplayable. It doesn’t make good use of time or SEO to dedicate a feature to it on a major gaming website. So what to do? Waste some time, I say. Here are my memories of the long-lost City Of Heroes.

It’s very possible you missed City Of Heroes. It’s troublingly possible you arrived to it too late, by the time it was a muddle confusion of base-building, unfathomable loot, and far too much fiddle in front of the fun. But near the start, probably up until just after the release of City Of Villains in October 2005, there was the sweetest spot.

The best character creator the world had ever seen welcomed you to the superhero world. (So versatile that stupid, copyright owning people tried to sue it for infringing on their characters – the equivalent of Disney suing Crayola for its crayons being able to draw Mickey Mouse.) And then you landed in one of two starting cities, to see the hilarious and ridiculous sight of spandex-clad superheroes hugely outnumbering the city’s civilian population. Then you leapt, sprinted, and punched your way to glory.

My character was Nitefall. A purple lady with purple clothes, and eventually when they were added, a purple cape. She was a magic user, a Dark Controller, able to do spooky things like conjure up netherwordly tentacles from beneath the ground, or suck the life force out of baddies. She could also, in a very limited fashion, transfer life force from living enemies to team mates. More on that in a bit. Always a middling character, completely useless in combat on her own, Nitefall was a good team player, buffer, and most of all, not a healer. And for many months, she teamed up with giant robot ANDOV (Jim Rossignol), flying Scarlet Witch rip-off, Warwych (Kieron Gillen) and bug-like blaster Entomologist (Alec Meer). Indeed, two years before there was a Rock, Paper, Shotgun, the launch team had already united. We were often joined by a number of others, including Y’gor (Dan Griliopoulos) and journo-chums Neil Mohr, Ian Shanahan and others I’m rudely forgetting, and together we fought the shit out of crime.

City Of Heroes got so much right that so many MMOs since get wrong. Most importantly, it was instantly fun to play. While you didn’t get your super-amazing movement power until level 14, you would begin the game able to jump very high, or hover, or run fast. Just a few levels in it would improve, and level 14 was never so far away – at that point you were incredible. Nitefall had super-jump, which was some of the finest movement gaming’s ever seen, letting you clip the edge of a window ledge of a skyscraper to propel yourself another few hundred metres across the map. With Warwych in flight, ANDOV bouncing, and Ento super-speed running, we would gather handfuls of missions and then burn the night hours away in spectacular battles, plundering networks of caves, picking our way through suspect offices, and unleashing giant clockwork behemoths or building-sized octopuses before battering them back into the ground.

Not only was this a sweet spot for CoH, but a sweet spot in all our lives, too. We were 20-something games journalists, and as such did not keep sensible hours or lead healthy lifestyles. Night after night we would gather, maybe 10 or 11pm, and play until 3 or 4am. Weekends were a bonanza. And on the way, anecdotes were gathered. Heck, it remains my only positive experience of online multiplayer gaming, and what a thing it was.

I remember how much of our personalities came through in how we played. Jim would incessantly plough ahead into the next mob of mobs before anyone else was ready, starting off a fight before we’d recovered from the last. Kieron would want to be in charge, but incessantly get killed and blame it on everyone else. Alec would solidly plough on while constantly worrying that he wasn’t doing it well enough. And I didn’t want to make any important decisions, or have anyone else rely on me. This last aspect led to quite some troubles because no matter what, nothing could convince Kieron that I wasn’t the group’s healer. We didn’t have a regular healer. I had a crummy heal power, but it wasn’t useful enough to fulfil the role. You may well have heard, John Walker is a bad healer.

My terrible heal power required the enemy not to be killed during the lengthy countdown, and for the person being “healed” to not move away from me. Kieron would always either kill the target, or suddenly run off mid-heal, and then shout at me for having failed to keep him alive. Explaining why it had happened, again, would be studiously ignored. This would repeat, again and again (with, naturally, not a mumble of acknowledgement when I could top up his health). I’m not bitter or anything. I’m just very bitter, and settling the score.

However, when we were joined by a healer, boy what a team that made us. Someone showering green pluses upon us as we conducted our orgy of super-violence against the Circle Of Thorns in Perez Park, or the Freakshow hordes in the ripped up landscape of Faultline – it was beautiful. Just the titles of the zones are so intensely evocative ten years on – Skyway City, King’s Row, Talos Island. Ooh, Dark Astoria.

My favourite moment, and I’ve talked about it many times before, came after a routine clearing out of a factory dungeon. City Of Heroes split itself between the enormous sprawling overground maps, and instanced dungeons for specific missions. Rather too many of these took the form of mix-and-match office blocks and grey factories, always finishing with the same very familiar final room showdown. I forget who was in the party when we started the mission, but by the time it was cleared out it was just me and Ian (better known as Always Black, responsible for the incredible games writing of Bow Nigger and Possessing Barbie. At the end of this level, our two characters were in a small office off the side of the factory floor, and we were chatting over the in-game chat. After a while, we both used /sit commands to have our characters perch on a table and filing cabinet – an unspoken but symbolic act of committing to a conversation.

Neither of us can remember exactly what we talked about. I know it was about faith, religion, and different ways to encounter faith. I know that if either of us had had the sense to cut and paste the conversation, it would have formed the basis for a wonderful gaming article. Although there’s something poetically perfect about its being lost to the moment. After the conversation was done, neither of us wanted to leave – the location had taken on meaning, and our leaving it would mean it was destroyed forever. We awkwardly hung out a bit longer, pondering the finality of it, before giving in and spawning back on the streets above.

Oh, and there was the obligatory dancing around a boombox after every successful mission.

I stuck with CoH longer than any other MMO, even World Of Warcraft. I’ve never liked an MMO more than it. It felt so fun, so immediate, and I never had a moment where I felt I needed to grind. It had sidekicking to let you play with people of any level. It had a constantly growing roster of super powers. It felt like an MMO that gave, rather than took away. And then, a year or so in, we were all done. City Of Villains gave us a brief return, and jolly fun it was too. But then the updates made things more complicated, it became about base building, there was somehow a disco, and it slipped away from feeling like the game I’d so loved. So in November 2012, when the plug was pulled, I felt an ambivalence to its demise, grieving the loss from seven years prior.

But I still miss it. I miss not just the game, but the time – the freedom to stay up until 4am with my chums. (But God, that’s specific – I sure as hell don’t miss that part of my life in more general terms.) City Of Heroes captured a moment of my life, and indeed solidified four almost-handsome fellows into being a unit that could one day form a rather good website. Hey, City Of Heroes, sorry I left this so late.

Grizzly says:

RPS: Origins.

Skabooga says:

Aww, sweet article. It has me remembering similar periods of my life with other games.

3. cpt_freakout says:

Such a great game. My brother and I formed a supergroup with which we stuck for the… I think it was three years that we played this, longer than anything else I’ve ever played. We carried that over to the villains, had our own forum, wrote stories, and had an amazing time every weekend with friends from other countries that we’d probably never meet in person, but that were a great bunch all the same. A time came (before it was shut down) when we were just going through the motions of leveling up New Character #78, so we left for other MMOs, seeking the same feeling of fun and comradeship that CoH’s setting was ripe for, but we never found it again. The longest we played another MMO was about 3 months (I think it was Everquest 2), but nothing could capture what CoH did; a big part of it was age, of course (I was in my late teens, he was in his late 20’s), but I like to think it was also the game itself, the theme, the versatility of the mechanics, and whatnot. It’s a game I’ll always remember fondly, so much I think I still have all my screenshots buried somewhere in a hard drive back in my parents’ home.

cairbre says:

But rockpapershotgun was founded it in 1873

5. Kemuel says:

I think everyone who’s given the genre a try has ‘that’ MMO which did something really special for them, where everything just sorta fell into place and lifelong memories were made. Reading this reminds me of my time with Star Wars Galaxies back in 04-06.

• Asurmen says:

There’s three for me. WoW vanilla and Burning Crusade, Planetside and CoH, all from my late teens/early twenties (totally doesn’t feel scary to say that). Good times.

• SkiddyDave says:

My first MMO was Asheron’s Call. I still vividly remember the moment it really clicked that I was playing in a persistent world that would still exist when I logged out of my character.

I’d quickly decided I didn’t like the character I’d rolled up and wanted to make a new one, but didn’t like the thought of throwing away the few bits of loot I’d picked up. AC had a mechanic where you could drop items on the ground as physical things, and then pick them up again. It very slowly dawned on me, then, that I could drop my valuable odds and ends on the ground (hidden behind a tree, of course), log out of my character, log back in on my new one and my stuff *would still be there* in the world! That was a proper “Holy Shit!” moment that still makes me grin to recall.

• cosmitz says:

Guild Wars 1.

The game might change, but i think there’s room for a period in every person’s youth in which they can get sucked into a MMORPG and come out for the better.

6. oceanclub says:

I have fond memories of COH even though I didn’t play it long and was distracted from it by WOW (which at the time was SHINER in so many ways).

Yet COH I found was by far the more sociable MMO if like me you were a casual player with no interests in guilds, power-levelling or any of that. While WOW was fun, I did regret it lacked the character customization and casual hookup aspect of COH.

P.

7. Mr Bismarck says:

What a great game. My first MMO and when the character creator opened for the first time I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Probably my favourite moment came very early on in The Hollows. Our group had just spent an hour smashing through the Frostfire mission for the first time and were deposited back onto the streets blinking against the bright light. I looked at the clock and saw it was 2am.

Then we noticed two other players standing outside the door trying to get a group together to go in and deal with their Frostfire quest and all of us said “sure… we could do that again.”

I think I finally got to bed at about 3.30am, despite having to get up at 6 to go to work. I had fun in other MMOs, but CoH was the only one I loved.

8. Stugle says:

That was an interesting look at your behind-the-scenes personalities (as well as a welcome explanation for Johhny Come-Latelies like myself of the ‘John is a bad healer’ thing).

Never did play any MMOs, but this piece did rekindle memories of schlepping my PC halfway across the country to play co-op Star Craft and Hidden & Dangerous with a buddy all through the night, back when I was in Uni. It was glorious and those days will never return. :)

9. CtM says:

Well, and here I’ve had to comment for the first time.

I pretty certain I was one of your healers… Psionic Medic

I played, and played, and played CoH. I even found time to play it when I was working 7 12-hour night shifts a week. I played it until it died its final death in deluge of more and more confusing enhancement sets that twisted the barrier to entry. I played through the invasions. I played at 2FPS while taking down Hamidon, spamming superspeed heals while a Scrapper tanked (wait, what?). I gave many, many hours, and lost none

Ah, memories!

10. trioptimum says:

I don’t think I ever took a character beyond mid-level. I was just addicted to making characters and taking them into the world.

My favourite was Film Noir, a rugged-looking older man in a fedora and a suit, with an entirely monochromatic palette. Catchphrase: “Take it and like it!”

I’m still waiting for another MMO to match it in its potential for personal expression. It may be the only game where people-watching was a viable entertainment.

11. Jalan says:

Played briefly when I had a POS machine that would (likely) randomly restart because it either overheated or just because it was trash. What little I could play of it in-between restarts was… kinda fun, I guess. I say this as I recollect the days before I came to loathe multiplayer everything (just about).

Don’t have any particular memories to recall though (the character I made was a beefy/pudgy red haired blaster or something, I can’t even recall the name) thanks in large part to the problems with the crummy excuse for a PC I had.

12. Wubble69 says:

Yay! That’s me in the foreground of the fourth picture down. Red t-shirt, shades and a huge cigar.

I was a crap tank but damn I looked good.

13. HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

My primary character was a purple-themed and eventually purple-caped male gravity controller named Desticato. In those tights I had some of the most engaging, fun-filled adventures ever experienced in front of a computer screen.

Against all odds, I also met the neatest girl on a Task Force one night, a little after the beta once the game had gone live. We played together for years and eventually married. We’ve been together for over a decade and if not for City of Heroes, I doubt we would have ever met.

We’ve played every major MMO since–as well as some of the more obscure ones–but nothing has captured the essence or purity of CoH/CoV in terms of grind-free fun, plethora of options, or capacity to bring people together.

It’s safe to say that City of Heroes changed my life, and will therefore always have a special place in my personal gaming history and in my heart.

• fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Lovely! Happened to a couple of my friends too. Makes me feel all warm and happy.

14. Montavious says:

I enjoyed CoH, but when they let people make their own missions, it just became a grind fest.

15. Megazell says:

City Of Heroes was great. I only had one character and never alt’ed. I prefer to just sk down to someone’s else level and help them learn the game.

Freedom Server – Mister Power later named changed to Gun Convoy and later named changed to Santo Malo.

Base Raids were the best. I had a solid team and I am still friends with them years later.

16. MunkiLord says:

This game taught me the meaning of Scrapperlock. Which is how all games should be played. Ah, good times.

17. Jonfon says:

Every now and then I find myself between games and I think “I’ll jump on to CoH and make an alt”. Then I remember I can’t :(

Great game when you were on a decent pick up group, could be absolutely hilarious. Solo it was grindy but the social side put other MMOs to shame.

I miss my tiny chaotic controller…

18. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Loved this game. It was my first MMO, about 5 years ago. I used to team up with a friend from work and his Everquest friends, a lovely couple in their 50s from across the pond.

We all had detailed backstories – I was FunkenfĂĽhrer, a sonic blaster in a purple pin-stripe pimp suit with a huge afro, drawn into this world after his vocal power tore him from a ’70s Brooklyn gig with his funk band. I also had a couple of alts, an ex-science teacher with electricity powers and his villainous ex-girlfriend for COV. All their backstories ended up linked in the best possible way.

We had brilliant times. Auntie D always always always accidentally pulled mobs because she used the ‘click start running click stop’ thing. Caused those fights where you lose all hope of survival but one of you does exactly the right thing at exactly the right time and slowly the tide turns, leaving you exhilarated at the end.

I’d also say the amazing character creator almost forced role-playing – it was nice to go up a level but it was never the be all and end all. We’ve played other games since, The Secret World was very good, but if one (or all) of your team wants to grind it left less dedicated players behind.

I miss it.

19. Eiv says:

I am legitimately sad right now. CoH wasn’t perfect but it was ours. I truly, honestly miss it. Wish they would res it in some form or at least sell the code to a dev that gives a shit.

20. hungrycookpot says:

The only MMO I’ve ever felt this way about is Shores of Hazeron and Haven & Hearth. Now that Shores is P2P, I dunno if I’ll ever have a crew like the one I remember playing with, but I’d like to hope that some game will grab me like that again.

21. JD Ogre says:

Ah, JustiBot-6942 and Ulterion, you are still missed even after all this time. :(

22. Monggerel says:

Reminds me of playing Champions Online with a lady character and getting hit on by snotty little nerds (besides myself). And I played right along with it because it was the funniest god dam thing in the world.

Also I found the attention quite flattering. Hm.

23. Underwhelmed says:

Everyone remembers their time with this game because they didn’t just make “fighter elf guy”, they made an honest to goodness CHARACTER. The rules, powers, and game parts were only the accessories to that character.

I spent whole evenings in that character generator. Hell the first night I played this with friends we spent the whole evening designing our characters and about 30 minutes of the whole six hours actually playing.

24. Arglebargle says:

City of Heroes was the first MMO to pull me in, despite looking at (and even knowing developers of) other such games. Saw it in beta, and knew I had to play that one. Stayed subbed for most of the game’s lifetime, only missing chunks when the internet was bad, computer flake times, etc. Ended up with 40 or so max level characters. I counted open slots remaining for alts, not alts themselves.

I know the pain John felt for Dark Defenders. My first to Level 50 was a Dark/Dark/Dark Defender. A splinter of the soul of the Goddess Hel. John probably left the game before they fixed the Dark Defenders, as the original healing was just painfully difficult to use. My view of the peak of the game puts it years past City of Villains.

Several wonderful supergroups, including one with a bunch of devs from other games who just loved CoH as well. Another series of supergroups from a friend always came up with these brilliant ideas for thematic super teams; we’d play them for a couple of months, then he’d come up with another idea, abandon the old one, and draw everyone into the new paradigm. A Mexican Wrestling super team. The splinters of the Norse Gods team (Fallen Valhallan). The Alice in Wonderland inspired team. The Universal (film) Monsters team. It went on and on. Until it stopped…..

I cross my fingers that the negotiations to buy it out are still on-going. I’d subscribe tomorrow. And it’s pretty much the only way NCSoft will ever see another penny from me.

25. Crossbit says:

God I miss CoH/V. I can’t remember how many alts I played around with over the course of the years (or what most of them were), but I’ll always miss my mains.

Khepera, the gallant green and white heroine who would punish evil-doers with the powers of gravity! Which usually meant yoinking a fridge out of a singularity and chucking it at them… I swear she must’ve cleaned out most of the city’s kitchens over the course of her career.

And then there was Demonguise, who had glorious horns and a mane and liked to rob banks and stuff with her glowy red fists. I loved her powerset, tanky-yet-damaging and with lots of PHWUUUM and BOOOFF noises.

26. Plum says:

Oh god I loved CoV so much. I played heroes for a while but it didn’t stick, but then villains came out and hit me hard. My super strength/reflexes brute was just a constant joy to play – the rush of sprinting straight from one fight to the next to keep your fury topped up, the hilarity of bouncing a whole spawn into the air or upper cutting a boss through the ceiling! And the alts… Oh god, so many alts. So many hours lost designing new characters and outfits, just playing and creating and having fun.

27. malkav11 says:

I loved so much about CoX. The glorious travel powers. The incredible character creator. The best grouping tool in an MMO, which meant I literally never soloed a moment over years of play. The willingness to make you engage proper hordes of enemies instead of one or two measly enemies at a time, and the joy of being a controller and locking them all down so your compatriots could pick them apart piecemeal. (The Crowd Control role is the big missing factor from almost every modern MMO.) The complete de-emphasization of PvP, crafting and loot (alas, all crept back in under pressure from people who can’t handle difference).

I couldn’t resist WoW’s siren lure, though, and aside from an abortive revisit when I tried to get my best friend into City of Villains (masterminds!), never ended up going back. I wish I could, now. :(

28. Nick says:

City Of Heroes was the game that got me into MMOs in the first place! I remember it now…. (looks into distance, dreamscape visual….)

Walking around HMV randomly waiting for my GF to eventually emerge from TopShop, and coming across this Blue box with a superhero on it that I didn’t recognise. Reading the back cover… MMO???.. what the heck it that I thought to myself, then read on… Sounds good!

First question..
    Q) Will my crappy bought for uni work laptop actually run it???
    A) Yes it will!

Second question…
    Q) Can I afford to pay a montly subscription to a game??
    A) I’m a student, wasting loan money is what being a student is all about, OF COURSE I CAN!!!

Third question…
    Q) Will i end up single?
    A) Probably! Its a risk, but sounds worth it from what I read on the back of the box!

Bought it, sat down at my computer on Friday afternoon around 4pm and installed it… 5pm logged in.. Next thing i know its Tuesday afternoon and I’ve missed 2 days of uni…. and more importantly become addicted to the world of MMOs.. 4 player mario kart was multiplayer, this was something else!

About six months later COV came out, enjoyed that, but as mentioned in article above it all went down hill from there.. But I will say that I still loved the holiday specials and the badges you could get.. knocking on doors at Halloween to release Werewolves, Zombies and Vampires to beat up and eventually get enough to get a specific badge… everyone loved those badges! me especially.

Even managed to get my local Fish shop team (Aquatic hobby, not battered!) to have a go as they had a pc setup in the shop for when it got quiet… (Aquatic World in Cardiff if anyones looking for a good shop)
    I managed to get the 40+ year old owner all but addicted, he’d literally ring me a 11pm telling me about the buff styles he was trying on his new character.. the man hadnt touched a video game in his life till then.
    I’d CREATED A MONSTER!

This game ruled whilst it was up and opened the doors for me to Warcraft, then Eve, then LOTR Online, then SWTOR…. But none has lived up to that first experience…

GREAT ARTICLE by the way, made me very nostalgic for the old days! Thanks John :)

29. 2late2die says:

Great article and makes me want to share some of CoH impressions as well. CoH was my first MMO and the only one I ever really truly enjoyed. Since then I’ve played some WoW and Guild Wars, but while there was fun to be had there it was never the same type of awesome experience I had in CoH.

I can’t remember the first two characters I rolled, but the 3rd one is the one that stuch and remained my main for the next 2-3 years. A fire controller named Brimstone Gale. With her primary fire control set that allowed me to eventually summon fire imps and secondary air based defender (I think) set she was just awesome. Of course I took the flight power, and I remember before they nerfed the (whatever they were called) power add-ons, I was able to reduce energy use of flight (vs hover) and few other toggles to basically zero, which meant that I could keep flying, with my protective fog around me during combat. My god it was glorious! Flying above the enemies, unleashing fire, brimstone, thunder and lightning on them, and my imps jumping around burning enemies all around me. I have never experienced this kind of power fantasy in any other game.

That was the biggest thing CoH did right – give us the feeling of being superheroes. From the very early levels you could take on 2 or 3 thugs at a time and pretty soon, with properly upgraded powers (and depending on the power set of course), you could be taking 4-5 minions with a lieutenant. The variety of powers was amazing too – I mean to start with – four travel sets, like what other game has that? :)

30. LegendaryTeeth says:

I had a storm summoning/electricity defender I made in the pre order head start. Awesome character, great fun, as long as you got a group that knew you didn’t need an empathy (pire healing) defender to get stuff done.

I made piles of characters playing on and off over the years, but I finally got her up to max level the last time I came back, within a year of it shutting down. Only time I’ve ever done that in an MMO.

I miss that game.

31. Titler says:

The last moments of the game, on the Union server which became known as the home for European players; Video here.

Unfortunately I can’t make a playlist on YouTube for now (it’s broken!) but you’ll find them scattered about my channel above. The Bovine Avenger was my first, and favorite character; and what other game let you make an enormous Man-Cow and turn his ice powers pure white, then leap around shouting “Taste the cold milk of JUSTICE!” …?

I disagree that the game became worse as time went on; base building and badge hunting gave a sense of solo achievement for those times when you just wanted to fight crime as a broody, introverted and aloof Dairy Knight. And whilst mission creation did lead to an awful lot of farming and leveling exploits, for the creative amongst us, it was also a godsend. And I’m not sorry for a single cow pun.

Like Ultima Online (which I commented on elsewhere) because the character creation tools were so in depth, people really put themselves into their characters, and as a consequence the cowmunity was incredibly deep and close and so very, very creative. I do believe going P2P was a mis-step as it seriously divided the communities ability to play with each other, but the end came so soon after the change, I don’t think we ever really had the time to realize this, and as a cownsequence the game ended with a lot of love left over.

And the cowmunity is still together, both physically on forums, and spiritually in game development. . It’s a testament to the strength of the game that even 4 years after it’s death, it’s still held in such regard. I kind of drifted away myself due to being at a rough point in my life at the time, and taking trivial things a bit too seriously, but I’ll always remember the game fondly.

32. Furiant says:

I played a bubble defender as my main (Unit 9). I remember patrolling the leveling zones for hours on end, descending onto a few characters fighting for their lives and throwing a few bubbles around, or if things were dire, launching a large repulsion field to keep the mobs at bay while they recouped their HP and finished them off. People were generally really grateful and would cheer and bow and wave. It was nice. There was a small unofficial group of us who did this as a sort of volunteer work, patrolling around and aiding as you could for as long as you liked. It was one of the few times I felt like I had an actual impact on the world.

They eventually gutted the game with nerfs (and Suppression, and Defiance…) and I left and never looked back. But I miss my patrol and my supergroup and kicking the crap out of purse snatchers in alleys. Champions Online had a chance to carry the torch, but they have squandered it utterly. Oh well.

33. Jenks says:

One of the last filler MMOs between EQ and WoW, it never got much traction, peaking around 180,000 subs. Several MMOs during that era drew me in but I bounced off this one. The character creation was neat though.

34. Sentaph says:

I honestly can’t even fit all the feelings I have for this game into a post here. I will always cherish the memories and friends I made. It saddens me that I’ll never be able to show this to people, only tell them the stories.

However, I can leave this: link to paragonwiki.com
    A link to the client that will still let you create a character and log onto the (empty) zones. It gave me a second chance to get pictures of my favorite characters since I wasn’t able to before the game shut down.

35. Marr says: