Eugen’s Act Of Aggression Deploying In September

A funny thing, how Eugen Systems’ recent RTS games don’t get the attention they perhaps deserve.

Commenters point out even we are often guilty of neglecting them. Let’s try not to repeat that with Act of Aggression [official site].

There is a secret message hidden within this post.

Oh nothing as sophisticated as the

Flare Path Foxer – I’m no Roman

And honestly I don’t know much about war and planes and tanks and bombs and bullets though years of playing FPSs have

Granted me perhaps too much knowledge about types of

Gun

Right, anyway. Act of Aggression is

Eugen’s latest base-building real-time

Strategy game, calling back to their old Act of War

Series. Our Adam wrote a bit about

It and yes, that sounds splendid.

Oh good grief I’ve just realised how long it’ll take me to finish this lousy acrostic

No matter

War. Huah. What is

It good for? Everyone knows those

Lines but have you heard Edwin Starr’s follow-up single, Stop the War? It’s

Less iconic but I think I perhaps

Like it more. It’s always on my phone’s Spotify lists

As I roam around and ride the

Underground, just in case I

Need some kind of toe-tapping jam which a message that’ll keep me

Chill as some

Horrible

Oik

Named, I don’t know, let’s say

Simon

Exudes

Putrid

Terrible

Evil

Musk

Because dear lord, I’ve only just returned to London from

Edinburgh and this place is a

Right horrorbastard

2day and

no mistake

deary

1. Shiloh says:

Act of Aggression will launch on September 2nd, you say?

Is A N Wilson still a shit, as well?

Don Reba says:

I consider the formatting of this post an act of aggression. You won’t away with this!

3. JeCa says:

Indeed, this game looks exactly like something I’ll put on my wishlist now, waiting for it to appear on sale, then forgetting about it completely and feeling mildly guilty about not getting into/supporting in a years time.

On the other hand, Grey Goo, The Last Federation, Invisible Inc and Neo Scavenger all seem like they’d make pretty good friends with this game.

Bluerps says:

This made my laugh. :)

5. SuicideKing says:

It’s funny, when I bought Red Dragon I was actually looking for something more like Act of Aggression.

6. Monggerel says:

My addled brain combined the title with Sun Tzu and for a moment there I was like… “Yeah, Art of Agression is a pretty fucking apt title”
    But no
    but no.
    Euphemism wins.

7. KDR_11k says:

The wargame series seemed designed more for hardcore wargaming nerds so I mostly avoided it.

• Thurgret says:

It’s not generally considered to be a wargame, though. More a real time strategy. The underlying systems are quite simple and easy to understand, generally. The way they interact with each other is interesting.

• hamilcarp says:

Nah, Wargame is not a wargame, confusingly enough. It’s just a RTS without base-building, and with logistics management instead.

• Dinger says:

For me it was the opposite. I bought one, largely on the RPS plaudits, and then couldn’t figure out why I was getting massacred on the second mission. Only when I realized it wasn’t a Sim but an RTS did it make sense. At that point, I moved on to something more interesting to me.

It’s like the secret message. Cordwainer Smith would hide headlines by the page. Sure, doing it by the first letter of each word has a proud tradition: I mean, Gulliver’s Travels pulled that off brilliantly, right after a masturbation joke, and some would argue that Hurtado de Mendoza did the same with Lazarillo de Tormes. I’ve even snuck that one in myself a few places. But come on, just because the games we play these days mostly insist on holding our hands so we see the message doesn’t mean we have to the same. The joy of writing these is knowing they’ll never be understood. Like the inscription on that Obelisk in that old OFP Mod. Heck, even two or three took the time to ask about that one. No, nobody cares now. I smile knowing that one day — may it be far away — I’ll leave this world leaving secrets carved in virtual stone 10 meters high that thousands have seen and not understood.
      As a writer and an artist, do you want your basic message to be understood? Certainly. Do you want to leave something mysterious, even for the initiated? Hell yes.
      Of course, this could all be yet another ruse, and there’s something deeper here. Maybe our esteemed author is escalating things to a different level.

8. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
    You know how the developer’s older Act of War and its expansion have been patched “To work better on modern systems” recently? Well, that patch is baloney, and doesn’t solve any of the most obvious technical problems that game had. You can’t even choose 1080p resloution in the base game, fer christ’s sake. Thank Gaben for Steam’s new return policy.