Exodus Exited: Space Dogfighter The Battle Of Sol Out Now

Games I dearly want to go back to but am entirely convinced cannot live up to my fond memories? Space sim Freelancer is right there at the top of the list. Shallow oik that I am, I crave maximum beauty from my interstellar fantasies, and while I don’t particularly get along with Elite: Dangerous as a long-term endeavour, for noodling around in stunning space it’s hard to beat. Poor old Freelancer is far more accessible and immediate, but no, its time has passed. Maybe, just maybe, the recently-released Battle of Sol could offer some slightly more modern space dogfighting.

You may, however, have experienced it before, when it was on Early Access under the name Exodus Of Sol, which was itself a remake of 2012’s SOL: Exodus. Do try and keep up, 007.

Here’s the launch trailer so we know vaguely what we’re talking about, for a change. Includes mandatory post-BSG wardrums soundtrack:

Not bad looking – and yes, that is my primary metric when it comes to space games – though perhaps a little on the gloomy side for my personal tastes.

The Battle of Sol is technically the first project from Christopher Stockman’s Bit Planet Games, but again it began life as Seamless Entertainment’s 2012 SOL: Exodus. Our Adam reviewed that at the time, and found it not without charm but sadly not without grind, either.

Ben wasn’t particularly encouraged that the remake – in 2014 known as Exodus Of Sol – was set to change things up much, and it did look a little rickety back then. The 2015 trailer certainly suggests meaningful visual improvements, but hopefully we can launch Adam at it once he’s back from hols to ascertain if the space hi-jinx have come along too.

Steam reviews – based on Early Access – are broadly positive right now, though you may want to wait and see how it goes down with the masses now it’s launched fully, and the devs do seem aware that their initial plans were underwhelming:

“When we first acquired the SOL: Exodus IP, code, and assets our plan was to simply do some enhancements to the original game.

Instead we built a whole NEW game with revamped game mechanics, visuals, all new missions, new ships, all new VO (with a much larger cast), much improved AI, and so much more.”

Said new VO includes the chap who voiced Lee in The Walking Dead, by the by.

The Battle Of Sol is out now.

1. SuicideKing says:

That UCS Atlas (0:33 among other places) looks quite similar to the GTD Orion class from FreeSpace.

Anyway, Josh Parnell of Limit Theory is back in action (and thankfully safe) so its development should be back on track now.

2. Rindan says:

You know what I really want? A game that has you commanding a capital ship instead of a World War II space fighter. It has been done before, but never well. I went the ship to feel big, has some mass, and have interesting mechanics for dealing with stuff like facing, gun arcs, damage, damage control, fires, etc.

And while we are on the topic of damage, WHY THE BLOODY FUCK DO GAMES STILL HAVE HIT POINTS? Seriously. Hit points were an extreme simplification that were used for pen and paper games to deal with damage. There is no reason in the world for any game that has you in a vehicle to have “hit points”. Damage should hit parts of your ship and visibly break those parts. Not break them because the HP threshold was exceeded, but because a kinetic punch physically knocked it off or blasted a hole through vital systems.

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t mind hit points where it can be mapped to something that doesn’t break immersion too much, like “hull armor” in a cockpit-level space fighter game. That’s something that might be gradually depleted under attack, and eventually wear through at some point. Some of these games do allow targeting individual systems, like taking out engines in Elite D to leave a ship stranded without blowing it up. That was kind of a ganking exploit at one point, don’t know if they fixed that.

I agree about wanting to see more capital ships in space games and sims. Especially singleplayer games with AI crew management, damage control, etc. “The Mandate” looks like it might be that kind of game, if and when it’s released. There is “Fractured Space” in development by the Strike Suit Zero dev, but that looks like team multiplayer capital ships, not a singleplayer game.

For an older game there’s “Nexus Jupiter Incident.” I never played that, it’s on my “gotta get around to it eventually” list.

• Zanchito says:

Let me recommend you Nexus: the Jupiter incident . It’s old,but it really made you feel like you were commanding huge capital ships.

• Rindan says:

Thanks asshole. 370 Steam games clearly were not enough. Now I have 371. ಠ_ಠ

• 65 says:

There’s also Rebel Galaxy. Not quite what you’re looking for, more like Black Flag’s ship combat with a Firefly theme but at least you can’t buy it yet.

• Apocalypse says:

Nexus would have been available on gog.com too, and it is more like homeworld imho.

• Ejia says:

I don’t know why people keep recommending Nexus. From what I read they want something like Privateer/Freelancer but with a single capital ship instead of a fighter, and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is much more like Homeworld in that you control more than one ship.

But then again I suppose more people playing Nexus isn’t a bad thing.

• Cronstintein says:

Hmm that looks interesting, thanks!

• vorador says:

I remember being slightly excited about a teaser trailer for a game called Dreadnought that featured huge spaceships.

Pre-alpha footage appeared and it was a multiplayer arena with floaty physics. Urgh.

Nexus: Jupiter Incident is pretty good and might scratch your particular itch, but it was pretty buggy last time i tried to play it. Got trapped in a mission that crashed to desktop a few seconds in. That was years ago, they might have got around to fix that.

• Apocalypse says:

Infinite War and I-War 2? ;-)

• Zenicetus says:

I-War 2 was the best singleplayer, scripted storyline, cockpit-level space game ever made. But it was more like flying a large fighter or “corvette” than a capital ship.

It’s still a great game that deserves a look for anyone that hasn’t played it. If Elite D: had just copied that six-degree-of-freedom and semi-Newtonian flight model — instead of only copying the fast inter-system travel and interdiction part — it would be a much better game.

• TheGreatBaldOne says:

Hi Rindan,

have a look at: http://flagshipgame.com.
      Maybe that’s something for you.

• president_koopa says:

I made an account just now after years of reading the site just to say this…

Independence-fucking-War.

link to gog.com

Hell, even the sequel is awesome.

3. Gap Gen says:

Impressions:
    – Is he trying to do a poo at 20 seconds?
    – KEYS OF DEATH

• dsch says:

That is such an awesomely bad trailer. In the middle of it, it’s like oh, end of trailer—wait no, it goes on.

• Gap Gen says:

I mean, I feel like I should be charitable because if I tried to make a game and then make a trailer for it it’d be terrible. But yeah, the random straining sound was odd.

4. OmNomNom says:

Wow that UI/HUD is HORRIBLE.

5. Furiant says:

Speaking of Freelancer, my biggest nostalgia-fueled hope is for a remake of Wing Commander: Privateer (the first, not the gaudy sequel). Someone did a high-fidelity clone of it a while back, the purpose of which was to bring it onto modern (at that time) architecture. It was clunky, hilariously voiced, and, above all, mind-numblingly boring – just like the original. I don’t know what it is, but as dull as that game was I still look back on it as one of my all-time favorite games. A shiny new redo in the spirit of Elite: Dangerous (but sans the dogmatic, alienating, and flat-out deceptive design and marketing tactics) would be most welcome. I know that this is impossible, given that Robertson cannot show anything for his current $50 million effort. But I can reminisce and imagine (for free), which frankly is more entertainment than the last $1000 I’ve spent on new games.

• Zazzaro says:

Furiant you are def not alone there. Privateer was one of my favorite games too as a teenager. Too bad I didn’t have the manual and didn’t know you could hit a key to instantly fly to the different sectors after a brief flyby cutscene. I just would fly through empty space 20 mins at a time to get to each one for a little while until I figured it out. Loved it even more after that discovery. I too have been looking/hoping in vain that a remake or game very similiar to it would release but thus far nothing.

Also, it’s Roberts… Not Robertson. I’m actually into Star Citizen for $150 during the original funding period on their website primarily because of Privateer. Whether they come through with Star Citizen is an unknown, but since I enjoyed Privateer and the wing commanders so much I gave my money helping give him a shot to make his dream game. If it flops, oh well I have spent $150 on much worse. If it is shaping up to look like a great game, ill buy a multiple person ship. Def hoping Roberts pulls through though, lifetime insurance on the ship I have will be quite handy.

6. FriendlyFire says:

I’d just like to point out (as I have had to repeat many times in the past): Freelancer’s time hasn’t passed just yet. There are still community sites like The Starport as well as active mods and communities like Freeworlds: Tides of War or Discovery.

Yeah, the game’s lost players, but it’s still around and you’d probably be very surprised at just how different it’s become from the olden days.

7. Apocalypse says:

Anyway, time to get the hotas out again. Looks like some fun hours ahead.

8. vahnn says:

I’m pretty sure that guy also did the voiceover for that sweet Crawl trailer.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

His voice reminds me of the actor playing Bane (I think?) in that recent Batman movie.