Killing, My Friend Is For Action Heroes

Killing, My Friend [official site] isn’t always a bad thing. At least, if we’re talking about video games. Notably the kind named Killing, My Friend. Hard-Boiled Software’s upcoming co-op FPS isn’t particularly pretty, but it does have some good ideas. You’ll play Hollywood’s latest action star on a mission to shoot the coolest, most stylish action sequences known to cinematography.

If that sounds familiar, it might be because you’ve played Action Half-Life, a popular mod that squidged together Max Payne’s stunt system with Half-Life, while channelling the inimitable John Woo. So, does that mean Killing, My Friend, is a dyed-in-the-wool clone? Perish the thought. The happy reality is that AHL’s lead designer is also a – da-da-dum – designer for Killing, My Friend.

Moving on to the nitty-gritty stuff, Killing, My Friend will have you and up to three friends running, diving, wall gliding, and performing slick stunts as you gun down an endless barrage of enemies. Style is substance here. Remember, the objective is to look cool. Murder is secondary. Expect to be able to customize your weaponry and your costumes, some of which will be unlocked on the field of battle. (Or through the process of battle. Whichever is appropriate.)

Hard-Boiled Software plan to release it mid-2016, and will be launching a crowdfunding campaign.

1. Heavenfall says:

Can’t help but laugh at the two heroes throwing themselves flat on their bellies against 800 soldiers.

• TormDK says:

Any true 80’s action hero would of course still win.

Looks to be fun, so gave it my greenlight vote. Still a year off from release according to their site.

2. Kollega says:

I never did play Action Half-Life, but I did play the recent Double Action: Boogaloo, a small free indie outing that puts emphasis on stylish stunting in the middle of a firefight, so I can at least imagine the gameplay in this sub-genre.

And I gotta say, the gameplay footage looks extremely rough, but I can definitely see the potential for stunting there, and the art style at least looks better than your endless military/SWAT/counterterrorism manshoots. I hope there’s some incentive to chain together impressive series of stunts and kills (like a combo meter or perhaps something more elaborate), tons and tons of enemies, massive explosions, and some destructive helicopter cockpit/rotor sniping action.

3. Cross says:

Why is Jim Sterling in this gmae? Second guy from the right.

4. skyturnedred says:

Action Half-Life is my favourite multiplayer game of all time so I’m looking forward to this.

• HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

Seconded, and I recently stated this in a response to the Battlezone ’98 remaster announcement where I listed some of my favorite multiplayer games. While I started with Action Quake II, Action Half-life perfected the environmental interaction, character movement and overall gameplay. For this reason, nearly all action/shooter games since have left me cold.

Here’s hoping Killng, My Friend is the successor I’ve been dreaming about for years.

Phasma Felis says:

What the fuck is the shirtless guy with the knife doing? He looks like he just showed up for an illegal street race on a bicycle.

6. David Bliff says:

I always felt that The Specialists was the better mod. I never could get into AHL at all.

• rabbit says:

same

the specialists was a LOT of fun though

• BathroomCitizen says:

Well, I’ve got to admit that The Specialists sure had a lot of stuff in it – more weapons, more stunts, more everything.

BUT

Action Half-Life felt more “essential”, pure; balanced, even. Every item, every weapon, even if the overall count was way lower than The Specialists, was special.
        To me The Specialists was like The Opera: giving waylay to too much fluff.

Anyway, the footage of Killing, My Friend is really super-alpha stuff, but regardless it looks worse than Action Half-Life! How could this be in the Year of Our Lord 2015?

7. bill says:

Chow yun fat still kicking ass I see.