Tales Of Symphonia Will Sing Onto PCs Next Year

I suspect that Bandai Namco have realized, most likely thanks to a recent avalanche of happy news posts, that the world really, really likes its Tales series. Not too long ago, we squeed over Tales of Zestiria hitting western shores. Now, we have something else to be very exuberant over: the news that Tales of Symphonia [Steam page] will be coming to the PC.

The game was first released back in 2003 for the Nintendo GameCube, and then ported to the PlayStation 2 a little bit later. Since then, it has spawned a barrage of tie-in media, including novels, anime, and drama CDs. It’s rather obvious as to why too, if you think about it. The game is adorable. It has walruses to beat up. It has snow bunny charms. Butterfly people. And… unicorns? Endearing as only a game rife with bobble-headed people can be, the action-RPG succeeded in gaining the affection of thousands, despite a mildly pedestrian plot that sees the protagonists trying to rescue a world from an unspeakable threat.

No concrete release date has been chiselled out just yet, sadly. The best we can tell you right now is that Tales of Symphonia is tentatively scheduled for a 2016 debut. Maybe. We hope. Keep all your appendages crossed.

1. vorador says:

Tales of Symphonia is set as the highest reward in the prepurchase tiers of Tales of Zestiria.

Meaning that if enough people reserve Tales of Zestiria on Steam, al will get Symphonia too. Just a heads up if you’re interested in getting both.

2. malkav11 says:

It looks like it’ll be a preorder bonus for Zestiria. Not clear if it’s going to be sold separately. Also, let’s hope they plan to bring the sequel, Dawn of the New World or the bundled Chronicles version to PC – this appears to be a port of the HD version from Chronicles, so you’d think it wouldn’t be that much more work.

• Eriol says:

If they don’t bring DotNW, not much of value was lost.
      Now, Abyss or Destiny 2, on the other hand…

• PancakeWizard says:

“It looks like it’ll be a preorder bonus for Zestiria. Not clear if it’s going to be sold separately.”

It’s got its own store page. It’ll be sold separately.

• malkav11 says:

Not necessarily. I’ve seen separate store pages for things that you couldn’t buy on their own before. The Dungeon Siege games, for example, used to be bundled with DS3 and not available by themselves.

3. geldonyetich says:

The inner pessimist tells me they’re going to Bork the port job. Never mind the inner pessimist, though: that guy’s a real killjoy.

• Archipelagos says:

Let’s hope they don’t Arkham Knight it. But my guess is that would be tough to do, all in all.

• Xzi says:

Very tough to do, since this will almost certainly be a DX9 title. On top of that, they’re probably not going to use an outside port house like Iron Galaxy, and there’s no way the publisher is as apathetic to a release with shit performance as WB was.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

It is a PC port from Japan, I’d say that’s being a realist rather than a pessimist.

4. Archipelagos says:

I played ToS when it was first released and yup, it was a gorgeous and adorable game with surprising depth. I had one enormous caveat at the time and that was the voice acting: some of it was teeth-gratingly awful, especially the English VA for Colette. Hopefully this version will include the Japanese VA with the options of subtitles.

• EMI says:

Since I assume this is a port of the HD remaster from PS3, which did contain JP voices, I would be surprised if they didn’t.

Another interesting note of the JP voices: the skits that feature throughout the game don’t have voice in the EN, but do in JP. I think there was time/budget considerations, and they might’ve fixed it in later releases, but I know originally it was the case.

• BooleanBob says:

Grating VO work for Japanese game localisations is very much the norm, I think?

I’m actually struggling to come up with any games in which the dub is tolerable.

• Oozo says:

The Persona games have, by and large, a good to fantastic voice cast. Especially Persona 3.

Some deliberatetly grating voices nonwithstanding, it’s the very, very rare games where I often actively enjoyed the banter during cutscenes.

• wcq says:

Xenoblade Chronicles.

Because it’s always Reyn Time.

• SomeDuder says:

Collette was a wet damp towel of a character, no matter who is doing her voicework

Anyway, jap companies usually don’t give away their actor’s voices – looking at the Steam store page, it looks like it’ll be published by Namco, so it will probably be fine, unless it’s the western division, who might have to actually pay for being able to include the japanese audio. Zestiria does seem to include the original audio tho, so I gues Symphonia will as well.

Also, I played Symphonia a few times on the NGC – it’s got a fun combat system, each weapon has its own model you can see in use in combat and it’s fast and fluid. The story and characters are dumb as usual (Yes, that includes a 12-year old girl swinging a hammer three times her own size), but it’s got a lengthy story and some gimmicks that might surprise new players. Also, a novel New Game+ option, where you can “buy” which stuff you wanna carry over to a new game

5. Ejia says:

Huh? Bwuh? Wha?

Not that I mind, but it is really odd that Banco seems to recognize that the PC exists, at least for the purpose of releasing Tales games.

I wonder if they’ll follow suit with Vesperia. The PS3 rerelease never saw a localization.

6. bv728 says:

A surprising number of japanese games get a chinese PC release with english translation (note: may not actually be surprising numbers. Your surprise may vary). Traditionally those have not been brought over, but Bandai Namco tested with a few existing ones (Largely Naruto and Dragonball titles) and found that they sell enough to bother with what porting issues remain.

They’re also not working on the cutting edge, so they have some room for performance issues.

7. KDR_11k says:

Despite having released like 5000 of these since Symphonia came out on the friggin Gamecube they still tend to focus on it. Did the series go downhill since then or what?

Lexx87 says:

The last I played was Vesperia on the 360 which I thought was wonderful, i’m not sure about those released since!

• Assirra says:

Not especially but Symphonia will always be remembered as one of the best of series and since the game is now 2 console generations old they remastered it.

• plebman182 says:

It is essentially the Final Fantasy 7 of Tales of… games. Was a lot of peoples first one so it is widely popular so it gets more attention than the other, and in many cases superior, games in the series. That is just the impression I have gotten anyways

• jael182 says:

The popularity of this particular title in the series, is because he is one of the few good games on the Gamecube. And in the RPG department, this get even more rare in that console. ToS was on of the few Tales of i didn’t finished. I play a little, and is a good game, but it was the first 3D Tales of, and the battle system didn’t age that well. If will ask me, the best in the series in the gameplay department, i will easy put Tales of Destiny Remake Director’s Cut, Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Graces F.

8. Timbrelaine says:

Hm. I played this a looooong time ago. I have some fond memories, but they are tempered by recalling the game’s enormous length. Somewhere around 100 hours in I just wanted an ending.

• plebman182 says:

It isn’t actually that long, 40 hours for main story,around 60ish if you want to do all sidequests as well

9. Shakes999 says:

Exactly the same thing here. Once it got to the last 7 temples, I put it on the shelve for nearly a year cause it was grating on my last nerve. And I loved the game! But I was just exausted after a while. I think the dark temple was the one that put me over the edge.

Came back, slogged through it and was glad I did. Despite my comment, I still highly recommend it.

• Shakes999 says:

Hmmmmmm, that was supposed to be quoting the person above me. Whatever.