Shark Week: Depth & Shark Attack Deathmatch Antics

This here game's Depth. Shark Attack Deathmatch 2 looks a bit jankier.

The USA’s annual extended holiday of Shark Week kicked off on Sunday, celebrating the fact that their land is above sea level and, therefore, not filled with sharks. It’s an unusual national holiday, but one worth celebrating. Along with the customary week of Discovery Channel shows, this year’s Shark Weeks sees big updates from two shark video games.

Depth [official site] has launched a new hide-and-seek mode, while newcomer Shark Attack Deathmatch 2 [Steam page] has launched its co-op survival mode. It will never be safe to go back into the water, but that’s a death I could live with.

Depth folks Digital Confectioners explain their new mode:

“One player starts as a shark, and must hunt down the divers. When a diver is killed they join the shark side, and killing all divers secures a win for the sharks. But beware – diver players can defend themselves with their Bang Stick!”

Their update also brought new maps. To top it off, the full game will be free to play this weekend on Steam.

Shark Attack Deathmatch 2 developers Lighthouse Games Studio, meanwhile, have rolled out co-op survival to their currently-in-Early-Access sharkfest. As this is the first time we’ve mentioned this game, I’ll briefly explain: it’s the sequel to a game from Xbox Live Indie Games in 2012, and sees sharks and divers all fighting each other tooth and speargun. You’d probably guessed that.

How are you celebrating Shark Week, all? I’m marking it by playing along as if I know what Shark Week is.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Celebrate shark week by staying out of the water and not killing any sharks or pretending to do so.

• Conundrummer says:

I’ll pretend kill all the pretend sharks I want on a pretend holiday! Don’t tell me what to do, internet poster!

2. Kefren says:

I’d probably play as the shark and get some payback. :-) “For every recorded attack on a human being, more than four million sharks are destroyed by human beings.” Peter Benchley, author of “Jaws”. Some good stuff link to sharkfriends.com and link to narrative.ly

3. TheAngriestHobo says:

As a wise man once said, live every week like it’s shark week.

4. airtekh says:

Depth is superb, I hope the free weekend will bring in a bunch of players, because it definitely deserves it.

The devs are really going about things the right way; free DLC, community mod tools and constant updates.

5. loldrums says:

Sign me up for 1x Bang Stick, please!

6. Sidewinder says:

It’s not just celebrating that our country isn’t shark-infested, it’s remebering what the Discovery Channel used to be. But though only the former part applies to most places (I expect most of the world, if perhaps not most of you Europeans, don’t even know what the Discovery Channel IS), it’s something that everyone can celebrate: UK? You’re not shark-infested either! There are no sea monsters in Senegal! Suriname’s above sea level, too! And so are Honduras and Hungary and Hollan- oh, wait. Okay, it’s something that ALMOST everyone can celebrate.

(Don’t worry, Holland; our party scientists are hard at work coming up with a holiday to celebrate the fact that the sun rises).

• silentdan says:

Ah, the 1990s. I remember them well (I probably don’t, but I *feel* like I do.) They were the halcyon days of of Discover Channel and TLC. Ancient Warriors wasn’t exactly high-brow, but it made an effort to describe ancient armies, and dutifully filmed a whole bunch of B-roll with extras in period-appropriate outfits pretending to fight each other. Connections 2 was James Burke’s gift to every absentminded kid who reveled in the interplay between science and history.

It’s not like that anymore, is it? I’m honestly not sure why. I get why most content these days tries to appeal to everyone a little while impressing no one at all, but chasing an aging and dwindling television audience while the internet offers us history lessons in Extra, and Hardcore, and realtime-except-100-years-late varieties, seems less like a winning strategy than one in which you lose slowly enough to retire before everything collapses.