Fight! Arc’s Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition- Released

Those terrible teases at Arc System Works are continuing to tweak my nose by releasing everything but what I want: the gorgeous Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN. Ah well, more fighting games from that lot coming to PC is good all the same.

Overnight they released Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition- [official site], a tarted-up version of their 2.5D fantasy man-puncher from 2007. Unfortunately, it sounds like it has a problem or two.

Arc say this Revised Edition has all the latest balance tweaks from the arcade version as well as “improved graphical fidelity and exciting new camera angles during special attacks.” Cool-o. Like Xrd SIGN and recent Street Fighter games, it uses 3D models painted cartoony but still has the action in 2D. I couldn’t tell you much about the technical bits, but it has parries and counterattacks and mercy me I do want to see those in pretty much every violent game ever.

Several Steam user reviews, however, complain that this version brought to PC by DotEmu is a bit wonky. The game only has a handful of reviews at this point, but a sizeable proportion of them do grumble about bad netcode and microstutters in the framerate. Those are pret-ty big problems for a fighting game. Fingers crossed they get fixed sharpish.

If you’re feeling bold, Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition- will run you £9.89 on Steam for Windows.

1. TheAngriestHobo says:

Why does Horace keep making you review fighting games, Alice, if they’re not your cup of gin?

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Er, report on, not review.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I am interested in fighting games, and always watch chunks of Evo, but I don’t play them because I’m frustratingly rubbo at them and can’t/don’t want to put in the time to improve.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Eurgh, yeah, the whole “memorizing 300 combos every time a new game is released” thing is a bit of a pain, for sure.

• jon_hill987 says:

With good fundamentals you don’t have to, Take Jason Wong thrashing Combofiend (who works on the game) at SFV after only a few hours on the game.

• pepperfez says:

To be fair, “good fundamentals” barely begins to describe Justin Wong. (Your larger point is right on, of course.)

• jon_hill987 says:

He does make it look amazingly easy… But I think it is the case for everyone, the Skullgirls Tutorial made me play a better USFIV game for example. Talking of which, Robo Fortune has just come out.

• welverin says:

That’s a fair bit different though.

Picking up a new version of a long running series, particularly for a vet like him, is quite a bit easier than getting into an entirely new game or the genre in general.

I have no issues getting into a new SF, Tekken, Soul Calibur, or DoA game, but when it comes to something new (e.g. Skullgirls), it’s a struggle. Of course part of that is simply find a character I like.

• Remy77077 says:

Anyone in your position should definitely try out Divekick (simplest fighting game execution), Yomi (fighting game strategy and mind games in turn-based card game format), and maybe Pocket Rumble and Fantasy Strike Fighting Game when they come out :)

2. Hobbes says:

DotEmu who did the work porting this are getting as bad a reputation as Koei Tecmo when it comes to bad hackjobs. The max resolution this goes up to is 1080p but it’s not even “true” 1080p as the game will upscale (badly) from 720p, leaving the game looking like someone smeared vaseline all over your screen.

Wonky netcode and frame issues are the norm for a DotEmu hackjob as well, these muppets are fast approaching Koei for their incompetency it seems. Though at least in DotEmu’s defence they’re just the “Get rich quick, pile ’em high, sell ’em kinda cheap” type of hackjob as opposed to Koei’s “We’ll port our games and charge you £50 before we pile on the not very micro microtransactions” approach.

Both of them ought to go back to school though, these ports make TIS-100 cry in shame.

• tsff22 says:

Two things.

First, the only Koei Tecmo ports I’ve played are Dynasty Warriors 8 XL and Empires, and they ran pretty well (I’m not a graphics whore, so the PS3 graphics didn’t bother me), though Empires REALLY wasn’t my cup of tea, it turns out. Toukiden is supposed to be pretty shit though, which is sad, because I adore Monster Hunter style games.

Second, out of curiousity, what were some of DotEmu’s other shit ports?

• Hobbes says:

On #1 – Dead or Alive 5. That’s all I need to say. Seriously, go to the steam store page and scream in terror.

On #2 – Double Dragon Trilogy was one of the more high profile hackjobs they dropped on Steam. Ugh. That one left a baaaaaad taste in the mouth. They have no idea how to program for xinput (Go figure) so multiple controllers on the same system becomes a torrid mess if you use HID devices like an orbweaver unless you physically unplug everything beforehand.

Kortney says:

Speaking of wanting Xrd on PC, Arc System Works tweeted this yesterday, acknowledging that, while we’re all very excited for back-catalog titles like Battle Fantasia, it might be nice to see some slightly more recent games like, I dunno, Guilty Gear Xrd or BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Extend on PC.

I love fighting games, but man, those names. Maybe if Xrd comes out on PC I’ll figure out how to pronounce it.

• jon_hill987 says:

It is pronounced “Tenth”.

• Seraphina says:

Putting Xrd on PC now would be a waste of time. They’ve already announced a new version coming out, and I don’t want a BlazBlue PC situation all over again. Also, it’s pronounced mostly how it’s spelled: ex-erd.

4. Dilapinated says:

Yeah, it definitely makes me uncomfortable playing it.

link to eschergirls.tumblr.com & link to eschergirls.tumblr.com help ease the blow with Hanzo at least. :P

• Dilapinated says:

..Erk, that was a reply, honest.

*obligatory-lack-of-edit/delete-rant-here*

• Dilapinated says:

..to the wrong article, even. Screw it, I’m going back to bed. =_=

• TheAngriestHobo says:

lol

Having spent the last three days sleep-deprived due to a horrendous head-cold, I feel your pain.

• pepperfez says:

It’s quite understandable that Hanzo would get you all twisted around.

• pepperfez says:

Oh my gosh that cat.
      I love it so much.

Phasma Felis says:

I read the title and assumed that “Fight! Arc’s Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition-” was actually the full name of the game. It wouldn’t be close to the most ridiculous Engrish I’ve seen.