The Talos Principle’s Road To Gehenna Opens In Two Weeks

A return to lasersHere’s something I’ve been looking forward to for a few months (except I’d forgotten about *actively* looking forward to it and was more excited-but-put-it-on-the-back-burner-until-reminder-emails-arrived). The Talos Principle‘s [official site] expansion, Road to Gehenna, is out on 23 July.

That’s soon!

I rather loved Talos. Its puzzles were engaging, its peculiarly placeholder-ish environments were endearing and I thought the story managed to broach philosophical subjects in a non-wanky way. It was actually one of my top games of 2014.

So what’s the dealio with the new stuff?

It’s a four episode expansion with the same writers as the original (Tom Jubert and Jonas Kyratzes – hooray) in which you return to the world as Elohim’s messenger, Uriel, attempting to free trapped souls and solve more puzzles.

I suspect there’s not much else that can be said about what you’ll actually find without risking spoilers of some description. The wiffle accompanying the release date news says that the expansion will “show players an entirely different side of Elohim’s world through a journey to Gehenna filled with new characters and a new society with its own history and philosophy.”

Also clouds.

Perhaps also a sports arena.

And apocalyptic mannequins.

Or maybe it's a pop concert for dummies. Literally.

1. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

(Scottish accent) I gehenna wait!

Don Reba says:

The Talos Principle was surprisingly intelligent. Looking forward to the road ahead.

johannsebastianbach says:

Great! Really loved The Talos Principle and looking forward to more of that stuff!

4. Distec says:

Well, looks like I need to finish up the main game. I really, really liked it. But I started waning somewhere around the final chapter. I think I’ve technically progressed to the point where I can finish the game, but I couldn’t bring myself to call it quits on some of the more advanced puzzles before closing the book.

But for at least a solid week I would just come home from work and unwind with it when everything else felt too competitive.

• Brainstrain91 says:

I’m very close to the end, but some of those more advanced puzzles did me in. I fully intend to finish, though – and I’m interested in the DLC. The writing is quite solid, and the story came together well. Happy to support games like this.

• Ferno says:

Some of the final puzzles including the star puzzles are the most fun! Don’t give up on them. There’s a lot of opportunity of solution creativity and a bit of cheating in some areas. In one of the C levels I stole two boxes out of a puzzle using the available tools and then boosted myself over the walls to shortcut straight to the finale of some other puzzles. Of course I then went back through and made sure I knew how to solve it properly!

Such a good game.

5. Ferno says:

Oooh yes I did love The Talos Principle. I will almost certainly be picking this up.