Dragon Age: Inquisition MP Gets Easier, More Difficult

If you’ve mastered the multiplayer side of Dragon Age: Inquisition [official site], killing everything and saving everyone a dozen times over, good news: the game’s latest update has added a new ‘Nightmare’ difficulty setting to tackle and new rare weapons to collect.

Conversely, if you’ve barely scratched Inq’s multiplayer and find it a bit overwhelming, good news: the update also added a tutorial, which teams you up with AI characters on a guided experience through your first adventure.

BioWare explain in a blog post:

“The Proving Grounds begin with a guided experience to help you familiarize yourself with multiplayer. A team of AI-controlled agents will accompany you on your mission—at a reduced difficulty level to introduce gameplay mechanics without leaving you feeling overwhelmed.

“Once you’ve completed the tutorial, you can come back to the Proving Grounds at any time to practice.”

Update 8 also fixed a few small bugs, so do hit the patch notes if you’re curious.

How is Inquisition’s multiplayer, by the way? From the outside, it looks a bit like a mission-ified version of Mass Effect 3’s multiplayer, which I ended up playing far more of than I’d expected I would. I still haven’t picked up Inq, though; it arrived at a time when the last thing I wanted was a huge sprawling open-world game. So how is it?

1. SanguineAngel says:

To be honest, after being very excited for DA:I multiplayer and hoping for ME3 MP turned up to 12 I was really disappointed with it. On the whole it feels somewhat flat which is a real shame. It’s really god they’re still supporting it though!

• SMGreer says:

Yeah, after the pleasant surprise that was ME3’s multiplayer, I was really hoping for something similar with Inquisition. It’s utter rubbish though. Laggy, dull, lifeless and with very little customization. It feels like the tacked on extension we’d expected with ME3 instead of the nice, fully fledged mode we got.

• Rizlar says:

Yeah, it’s fucking awful. ME3’s combat was actually really satisfying and enjoyable when boiled down to multiplayer form. DA:I’s combat is completely different and just feels a bit lame without pausing and party management. And the peer hosting has only ever been a buggy, rubberbandy nightmare for me, impossible to connect to or care about connecting to.

• TormDK says:

Must be tough living in a 3rd World country.

For me, DAIMP has been an enjoyable experience, one that I have spent more than twice the number of hours on compared to ME3MP (200+ vs ~70). (I’m not that keen on bro-shooters).

There’s no lag or anything of the sort using my 1337 Danish internet.

• Rizlar says:

I did try to isolate the lag issues to no avail. Pretty sure it isn’t just my connection which works fine otherwise (eg. playing ME3 multiplayer).

Glad to hear that you enjoy it! Thanks for the sarky and nonsensical answer anyway.

• SooSiaal says:

I’m glad not every Danish person is a snobby asshat like you

2. montorsi says:

DAI MP is fun but not as fun as ME3’s excellent MP. If they increased movement speed out of combat by 100% it would have a bit better pacing, I think. Or maybe I’m just a little too used to the frantic MP from other games and don’t appreciate a more leisurely experience.

• nearly says:

Maps are too big. It’s easy enough to get separated from teammates already. I’m guessing that single design change (or misunderstanding it) is why it just doesn’t have the same staying power as ME3’s multiplayer and fell so flat.

3. MaXimillion says:

I tried the MP after finishing the game but the progression curve was a total grindfest, especially if you wanted to unlock new classes.

4. Wulfram says:

I didn’t like the DA MP much when I tried it.

The basic gameplay wasn’t really fun when you’re just playing a dumbed down version of a single character. The attempt to give each character a personality just resulted in hearing the same god-awful “banter” over and over and over again. And the difficulty spiked too much at the end boss, meaning that trundling through the tediously easy earlier rounds felt pointless.

• Wulfram says:

Oh, and I had big lag issues to.

Admittedly my internet is fairly third world, being in Milton Keynes, but other multiplayer games work a lot better generally.

5. Jenks says:

It’s fun, but the mission style makes it feel grindier than ME3. I played ME3 with my wife until long after we unlocked everything. In DAI, we’ve barely got a couple classes unlocked and are nowhere near the (previously) hardest difficulty, and we were already bored.

6. yoggesothothe says:

I feel that enjoying the multiplayer in DAI comes down to how much you care about build mechanics and chasing a perfect build. ME3 appeals on a more manual skill based level, but players who enjoyed ME3 multi at launch that return to it now will find ME3 just as grindy or even grindier than DAI (the grind is obviously less noticeable to players who simply topped up their already full list of unlocks and equipment with each content update–the same is true for DAI).

That is to say, the efficacy of your builds in DAI drastically alters how grindy the game feels, far more so than ME3. With ME3, manual skill tangibly contributes to success, so you can have an imperfect build but still enjoy the manual skill challenge, which softens the experience of chasing better gear. With DAI, since the manual skill depth is pretty shallow, success is reliant almost entirely on one’s build. In that sense, it’s a less diverse experience than ME3; a poor build results in a boring mission, or worse a failed mission, which makes progress feel tedious and insubstantial. It doesn’t particularly help that the starting classes don’t obviously lend themselves to strong builds. So mileage definitely varies.

Personally, I’ve enjoyed both for different reasons.

• yoggesothothe says:

Continuing that line of thought, DAI multi would probably have a better reception if more of the classes were available from the start–ME3 had a far more varied and numerous selection already made available to the player, in comparison.