Lost In Space: Five Minutes Of Tacoma Blast Off

Check under the Christmas Spaceduck.

Given The Fullbright Company’s background with 0451 games (its founders were behind BioShock 2’s DLC chapter Minerva’s Den), their next game going into space makes me a little uneasy. Watching five minutes of gameplay from the Gone Home folks’ spaceborne second game, Tacoma [official site], part of me is on edge waiting to hear a System Shock 2 protocol droid mutter “This place is a terrible mess” or hear a midwife’s eerie call of “I’ll tear out your spine.”

That doesn’t come, or at least not in this video. Or as far as I can tell, anyway, as two folks from Game Informer are gabbing over the top of it.

They do explain bits of how Tacoma works, at least, like the space station’s person-tracking tech which turns audiologs into visiologs, letting you cruedly recreate people and conversations and see what they get up. Looks like that’ll be used for puzzling as well as storytelling. Seeing as what should be a bustling lunar transfer hub is deserted, there are probably a few mysteries to solve.

Tacoma is coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux in 2016.

[Disclosure: I’m pally with several members of Fullbright. We’ve had afternoon tea, drank beer out a glass boot, tormented a plastic bulldog, and visisted M&M’s World. Never go to M&M’s World.]

1. zarniwoop says:

This is a perfect example of how not to talk over a video. How long did they take to explain the concept of motion tracking to an audience of gamers?

Anyway, very very excited about the game, but could not get through that video. Any other gameplay footage available without talking, or at least with talking that doesn’t make me want to scream?

• zarniwoop says:

I’m guessing not. I’m sure you wouldn’t do that to us if there was an alternative Alice.

• Kerr Avon says:

Yes, I know what you mean! It’s a bit like listening to a wonky robotic text-to-speech engine of Ellen DeGeneres’ Dory from Finding Nemo. If that’s actually a real person talking, I pity them, I really do. On another note, I’m a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the game this reminds me of… Douglas Adams’ Starship Titanic from 1998. in fact it reminds me of it so much that I’m a bit concerned there might be some ideas stolen from it? What do you think?

• KevinLew says:

I have no idea what made Game Informer talk over the entire video. It’s like having somebody give a running commentary over a movie that you’re trying to watch for the first time. Plus, I think that I could have summarized everything in six sentences:
      * You play Amy who shows up at the Tacoma station on her first day to work, and she discovers that everybody has vanished. It will be a “walking simulator” similar to Fullbright’s other game, Gone Home.
      * The crew members will always be represented by simple holograms. This is intentional and the developers wanted to let the player use their imagination. In game, this is explained that the security recordings don’t use cameras but crew members are only motion tracked.
      * The game wants to have some realism like Gone Home, so “ordinary” objects from our current history–like ramen cups–will appear in game.

Captain Narol says:

Discovered “Gone Home” on RPS and was deeply moved by it, so Tacoma is up on my wish list and I am quite impatient to see what they will do with those totally different settings !

3. James G says:

There is something fundamentaly unsettling about M&M world.

4. Penguin_Factory says:

I love the idea that you can follow participants of conversations to different locations. It’s a neat way to evolve the concept of an audio log and make it more interactive.

Let’s bet on what the fake-out and the solution to the mystery will be. My guess: there are some signs pointing to aliens, but it actually turns out everyone went for a space picnic.

• GameCat says:

After arriving at the station, you’re secretly hooked up to elaborate VR simulation. It’s a Halloween prank made by your friends.

• Geebs says:

I’m betting one of the characters had a terrible case of wind and everybody has hidden in an airlock until the stench dissipates, which neatly explains the “Taco” in “Tacoma”.

Having characters incorporeally manifest and move about the ship allowing the player to learn about their past sounds like a bit of a shock to the system, too.

5. Chaz says:

There’s a few crew members of that ship looking at their holographic representations thinking “Why didn’t anyone tell me my arse was so big!”.

• Jalan says:

Yeah… that bit is really jarring.

All for body type diversity (or holo-body type diversity, as it were) though. I’m hoping that refinements are destined for that area because right now it’s not exactly varied.

Also, it’s kind of like someone filled crash test dummy molds with gelatin.

6. cristoffson says:

I don’t wanna know anything. I was onboard at “Gone Home in space”. I just hope they flesh the place our more than they did the house, in Gone Home I wanted to find out so much more about the ancient history of the house and crazy uncle or grandfather or something that used to live there alone.

• Jalan says:

The strong indicator that he was a child molester was really all the ‘ancient history’ you needed to know about him. Which, in turn, helped give a better understanding toward the father.

And so on. At this point I feel like I’m writing things about Gone Home’s plot that have been explained to death all over the internet now (and not always in an enlightening fashion).

7. kalirion says:

Who is “more” and why is he or she being made a little uneasy by this game going into space?

8. TheSplund says:

Anyone else think Starship Titanic when they saw the top picture?

9. tonicer says:

eeewwww gamepad gameplay is disgusting to look at.

10. HilariousCow says:

Abstract primary coloured characters, abandoment, vertical surface transitions around space ships?

It’s a bloody VVVVVV ripoff!

( <3 )

11. Turkey says:

I hope that you have to solve all kinds of terrible pun based puzzles if you want to discover Roberta Williams’ secrets.

12. Gandor says:

First thought through my mind when I saw the first picture was Starship Titanic

13. PancakeWizard says:

I thought Gone Home was utterly awful, however this looks close to Ethan Carter than Gone Home in terms of quality, and the sign language to operate computers has piqued my interest. Happy to take a punt on this one. Can’t be worse than Sunset really, can it?