What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Yes, this is the way it goes now: we tell you what we’re playing, you tell us what you’re playing. Or, alternatively, you can pretend your dear pal Alice is making up stories about what everyone else is up to, then attaching their pictures in the hopes you’ll fall for it. Will you?

Adam: Rocket League, then more Rocket League and a smattering of Sorcerer King. I like football but I’m not a big fan of cars wot go fast, so I wasn’t sure if Rocket League would be my cup of tea. It’s more than that – it’s my bottle of single grain Scotch. When I realised I could score the equivalent of a bicycle kick using the car’s double jump, I recognised that Rocket League was my favourite multiplayer thing of recent times. Its five minute matches create more moments of nailbiting tension, triumphant shouts and dismayed groans than you’ll see on both benches during a Tory Budget, and it’s considerably less grim. In fact, the bright blue sky stylings of the arenas make a pleasant change from the gunmetal gray of most futuresports. Lovely.
Alec: I’m fiddling with a pre-alpha version of The Flame in the Flood, a rustic survival game/roguelike from some of the many scattered ex-Bioshock souls, who for SOME REASON decided to make a game about trying to get back on your feet after your world suddenly falls apart. I’m digging the mostly real-world theme and acoustic guitar soundtrack – a much-needed change from angry goblins and doomy scores – but so far it’s feeling perhaps a little too Don’t Starve for comfort. More on that next week, though. I’m also cleaning up the last few audio logs and whatnot in The Magic Circle, so I guess it’s a bit of a post-Irrational binge for me this week.
Alice: I’m stuck back into The Witcher 3. Reaching Skellige after sixty hours, I was a little tired and stopped as it felt a bit soulless compared to Velen, but I’ve made a start on some of the archipelago’s bigger quests and I’m digging it now. This weekend I’ll tidy up loose ends then get back into the main questline. It’s very good, isn’t it? I had dinner with Pip tonight and rambled on about the coolness of feeling like a clever monster detective while she told me about Batman’s clue-finding.
Graham: After weeks of hearing about Arkham Knight, the hankering to smoothly punch goons in the face became too strong and I reinstalled Arkham Asylum. Why not City? Because I think the enclosed spaces of the first game are a better distillation of Bat life, in which each area is a kind of environment puzzle you solve by stringing people up from gargoyles and luring criminals towards explosions. I never completed it first time around and I doubt my attention span will last long enough to do so this time either, but for a weekend, hitting things seems like the perfect pastime.
John: If I can sneak away from baby duties, I hope to take a squizz at a couple of unreleased aRPGs I’m getting code for today. There is an international shortage of good, distracting click-fests, and I leap on every potential one in the hope it will fill the Titan Quest shaped hole in my life. That as well as cramming in some more time with Neverwinter Nights 2. But far more likely is I’ll be playing Threes and Flow Free alternately on my phone while my son practises crawling backward into sharp things.
Philippa: This week I’ve been pottering about with some smaller games and a lot of transcription. Nothing that’s in a finished play state though. The big game that I’m playing at the moment is still Dota 2. My team (Uptown Dunk) is taking part in The Rektreational. It’s a games industry tournament and the first matches are on Saturday (come watch us!) so I’ve been trying to sneak in little bits of support practice as well as de-stressing by picking up some heroes I don’t usually play.

But you, dear reader, what are you playing this weekend?

1. mikmanner says:

As confusing and obtuse as it is I’ve found myself getting really into Warframe recently. I don’t know why. Hooked

• Awesomeclaw says:

Warframe is great. I’ll probably be playing a bit of that too this weekend (I might be in the mumble room but I’m not in the RPS clan).

I’ve also been trying the World of Warships beta. It’s OK, but I don’t think I like it as much as World of Tanks. I’m also playing SWTOR a decent amount at the moment. There’s currently a 12x XP boost for story missions which means you can skip a lot of side stuff. The game is fully voice acted which IMO makes it a lot more compelling than most other MMORPGs.

…And when I’m not playing any of those, I’ve got the sales backlog to get to work on: Castlevania LOS 2, Dying Light, and Witcher 3.

• Blackcompany says:

Warframe is quite fun. Sure, there is grind. Oh man is there ever grind. But unlike a ton of other games I have tried over the years that are heavy on grinding for stuff, Warframe simply does not bother me.

And I think this has to do with the moment to moment game play. Playing as a Space Ninja is fun. Its dynamic. Its challenging at times. And its very engaging.

Add in the TCG-like upgrade system for Warframes and Weapons and the great folks from the RPS clan and its hooked me thoroughly.

2. Darkheart says:

Icewind Dale EE… still.
    Almost 60h in and close to done. I ploughed through Trails of the Luremaster and Heart of Winter before going back to the main quest. So far I like what Beamdog did to the game. There isn’t much new writing in there, so I cannot comment on the quality of that. I will see that when I get to BGII EE.
    Right now there isn’t much challenge left for my group of badasses, even though I’m already playing on hardcore. Especially the mage battles were much better in BG.

• Lycan says:

Good man. I didn’t personally make it past Kuldahar with my IWDEE party led by Aegon Targaryen and his sisters, but I still think that the most fun in that game is rolling a whole new party of 6 chars for RP purposes.

Oh, and I’m currently playing Borderlands TPS, also known as Borderlands in space (with more laser guns, pew-pew!)

3. DeepFried says:

Call of Pripyat. Again.

Then something random.

• Ross Angus says:

I feel you. I usually wait for Autumn, to return to Pripyat, but I already hear it’s call.

• DeepFried says:

Its a masterpiece and its really as good to play now as when it was released in that it hasn’t really aged badly. I just finished it for probably the 5th time and I’m always a little sad at how quickly it ends, it is actually a much shorter game than it appears, I think as much as half of the gameplay might be in the first area, then the final area, Pripyat itself, is just a few hours.

Dorga says:

I’m playing “Survive the persian gulf summer in southern Iran”. It’s tough but rewarding just like a Souls game.

• Tei says:

I have no idea how you guys can deal with that. With 40º here I want to kill move to live inside my frezzer.

5. James says:

I’ve been alternating between SWTOR and Elite mostly. My chosen Power in Elite is quickly organizing itself, getting spreadsheets, debating tactics, trying to limit the tactical damage of the disorganized masses, brokering a deal with another faction. Pretty neat stuff. SWTOR’s semiconversion to an MMO that can be played solo is something I’m really enjoying, though the stories feel a bit badly paced without some of the filler – I should probably do more sidequests.

Also doing Heists in GTA Online with some friends. Given up on doing things properly, now set on doing things explosively – should be good.

• Philopoemen says:

Re SWTOR, I’ve found the perfect pace for me at least is Class missions, and the main planet mission chain for each planet. Gives some variety, and a further opportunity to play the role, in fact those planet chains have had some of the best NPCs and storylines (looking at you Thana Vesh on imperial Taris).

If you have the 12x class story XP boost, you don’t need to do the side missions, but you won’t outlevel it if you do do them.

• bleeters says:

Never really understood the appeal of Thana Vesh. I mean, her entire story arc on Taris is a repeating cycle of boasting about doing a thing, then failing at doing the thing. Maybe my disdain for Taris as a whole is just bleeding into everything associated with it.

• James says:

Even playing a lightside Agent I could not deny the satisfaction of… dealing… with Thana. I think I might also do the intermission quests (the ones on Nar Shadaar and Alderaan) to give a break between acts. But it’s so nice just to enjoy the stories.

• Awesomeclaw says:

There seem to be a couple of us playing SWTOR: is there any chance we can group up and start a guild or something?

• Philopoemen says:

It really depends on what server people are on. I imagine a few of the RPSers are on the Euro servers.

I’m on Harbinger (the Philopoemen Legacy), but that’s because I started on Dalborra on the old APAC servers, and all my stuff got migrated across.

• Philopoemen says:

and for those SWTOR folks unaware, the SDCC Cantina Tour at ComiCon gave out some freebies
            link to swtor.com – will work for the first five, and each redemption creates five more etc etc.

You get a free mount, and some extra stuff (dyes, XP boosts, etc)

6. Crimsoneer says:

I have become hopelessly attached to Dirty Bomb. I thought I’d become too old and decrepit for competitive shooters, but apparently not!

• airtekh says:

Double credits this weekend, so I’ll be DBing it up as well. Gotta save up for Rhino – I needs me a goddamn minigun.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

You may be old and decrepit, but I’m young and green and I CANNOT figure out how to play shooter games and not suck. Give me any MOBA and I can be decent, any of this twitch shooter stuff and I just cannot make headway with any character who’s not like Bushwhacker. For fuck’s sake, that bitch with the shotgun is the most annoying, what kind of shotgun hits you for half your health 12 meters away? But when I pick her and jump around like everyone else does, nope, instadeath. -.- I really want to learn how to play, but if I suck this much in casual games, I don’t think there’s much point. I want to buy Kira or Nader, but I don’t know if I can gather enough credits.

• airtekh says:

Look at it from the other side.

I have over 1000 hours played in TF2 and many hundreds in other online shooters, yet if you stuck me in front of DOTA or League of Legends I would feel like a useless lump and a liability to my team – since I’ve never touched a MOBA before.

It’s all down to practice, familiarity and learning from your mistakes.

Be aware that Dirty Bomb might be more difficult to get used to than most other shooters since the movement speed is a LOT faster than in recent times – it is reminiscent of the older quake-style shooters. Hence the need for faster reaction speeds and such.

If you really want to get better at the game, you just have to stick with it. Keep to the max level 5 servers to start with, make sure your mouse sensitivity is comfortable (lower is generally better), stick with your teammates.

DB is a team game and ranks your score as such, so it’s possible to have the worst K/D on your team and still top the scoreboard, as long as you’re supporting your teammates with health and ammo and playing to the objective.

Most of the mercs are quite expensive credit-wise at the moment (IMO they really need to lower the prices to keep players coming back) Nader and Kira are both 50k each I think. Make sure you do the 3-hourly missions to get extra credit bonuses.

• Vandelay says:

I quite like Dirty Bomb, but despise the business model. It seems like such a grind to unlock additional classes and the costs are too high.

I wish it would take the Smite route of letting you spend ~£20 to unlock all the classes that are ever released, using the free to play as more of a demo, but the Starter Pack only gives you something like 3 or 4 classes.

I don’t mind the way they have done loadouts, which are pretty easy to unlock without cash, unless you want the special cosmetic ones, but the inability to easily use the different classes is a bit of a deal breaker.

7. ikehaiku says:

Rocket League. And probably, also, some more Rocket League… All Adam said is true; I’ll just add that if you can find a few friends to play with, all the better.

• The King K says:

Yes, Rocket League is soo fun. I’m shit at it so far and miss on high balls more often than I hit them, but when it works, I laugh gleefully.

Andy_Panthro says:

A mixture of Pillars of Eternity and PES2015 (on PS4, with the online stuff not working for some reason). Might fire up Darkest Dungeon too, and I’ve got Space Quest 1 VGA to finish blogging about.

Also will be watching the ashes (surely England must win the first test today?).

9. Cross says:

Hatfall! That game is a lesson in comedic timing. Even after having played over an hour of it, i still regularly chortle.

• Ross Angus says:

I failed too hard at the start – it really doesn’t like you using the mouse. I’m a fan, but I had to give it up pretty quick.

10. aircool says:

Um…

Age of Sigmar and AvP Board Game.

11. MajorGoose says:

I’ll either be on Planetside 2 (if Lizard Squad stop DDOSing it) or playing operation Barbarossa as Germany on HOI3. Just declared war and the stage is set! :-)

12. akstro says:

I’m also a little sick of hearing Arkham Knight so I’m playing Origins. Maybe I will replay Asylum as well. If the massive witcher 3 patch drops by however I might get lured back.

13. Herzog says:

Same as last week. Trying to finish Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION with 1cc. I unlocked the Type Z this week. Tempted to use it to finish the game. Guess purists would consider it cheating. But the backlog!

Bought me my first 4WD car in Dirt Rally and started a new league. Currently on place 10 on professional. Feels quiet different after driving only RWD cars for weeks. Also finished first daily event. Only 2:30 minutes behind the first one!

Also installed Torchlight 2 again. Trying to get it to run using 360 pad. Also going to add some mod packs, because PC.

Captain Narol says:

Probably a mix of Black Closet, Crusader Kings 2 (trying to take over the Byzantine with my Russian Empire before the Mongols arrival…), Football Manager, Shadow of Mordor and War Thunder…

But in the end the game that I will spend the more time playing is Conquest of Champions : link to store.steampowered.com

It’s a F2P hybrid of CCG and turn-based tactics, easy to play but deep and hard to master, can’t get enough of it !

It’s still in Early Access but already well polished (didn’t encountered any serious bug yet) and very fun to play…

Along with quick matches and solo quests, it also offer a slower “casual matches” features that works like PBM and allow you to play your turns at your rythm over a few days (perfect for people like me with childs to handle who can’t really focus on a quick match, John you could appreciate that I think !)

Please preview it if you can, it’s only problem is there isn’t enough players yet and it could use more visibility !

15. somnolentsurfer says:

Inspired by the article from the other day, I’m finally going to make a start on Kentucky Route Zero. Until someone comes and harasses me for a game of Dota, at least.

16. OmNomNom says:

Fallout New Vegas – DUST mod

17. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

Giving vanishing of Ethan carter a shot. Lush, ethereal mysterious.. Supernatural… Only given it 5 mins so far, recalls Alan wake a wee bit, no bad thing, thermos flasks aside… Also trying to de-fuckwitt myself on portal stories: Mel.

• Munin says:

I have the Vanishing but I’ve basically been stuck on a shitty laptop ever since I got it. It’s one of the games I’m really looking forward to experiencing once I can get my gaming PC out of storage again.

• Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

Bah.. Me too. My old 660m is still capable enough for most games but I’m looking at 27-45fps here with some annoying stalker esque load stutter. Again; bah.

18. FreeTom says:

C&C3: Kane’s Wrath. No, really.
    Oh, and also some Zuma’s Revenge. What has become of me?

19. AriochRN says:

System Shock (Portable version), haven’t played it since I bought the CD version when that came out. Thankfully the intervening decades have faded my memory to the point where it’s quite a fresh experience (I only really remember the first 2 floors of Citadel), almost like a proto Alien Isolation. Those invisible manta ray mutant things are right getting on my wick, though. Look at me panting and sweating through her corridors (missus!)

• ansionnach says:

Great. Really loved the first SS. It’s a very unique game. Someday I’ll go back and complete the second one but I wasn’t as pushed about it. A shame that the first SS is still under-appreciated, especially given the fact that the sequel is completely different (having RPG elements).

20. mrwonko says:

I’m playing “write your own compiler” for my bachelor thesis, and maybe a little Payday 2 during breaks. Both are quite fun! :)

21. SuicideKing says:

I’m resisting continuing to play TW: Rome II (Divide Et Empera mod) this weekend because it’s a massive time sink and I get nothing done. I also have a sore neck (damned pillows).

Otherwise, Arma 3 with Folk ARPS as usual.

Admiral666 says:

How is Folk ARPS? I always want to play ARMA in that sort of environment. I’ll freely admit that watching Shacktac videos is what transformed my slight interest in ARMA into hundreds of hours of play. I simply don’t have the schedule to commit to a community, though.

Do you guys use or plan to use ACE3? I just downloaded it, and I’m quite happy.

22. montorsi says:

Picked up MKX this week and have had a surprisingly good time playing through the cheesy story. I’m looking to do a bunch of practice this weekend for eventual PvP. Still heaps to learn.

23. aoanla says:

Probably some TIS-100, which I finally cracked and bought on Steam (despite promising myself I wouldn’t start on it until I’d beaten the last 3 challenges on SpaceChem), and maybe some of really-beautifully-designed “roguelike” shmup Steredenn. (The latter is on Early Access, and looks like it’s strongly influenced by both Bullet Hell games and also R-Type – the “roguelike”ness is actually mostly just Procedural Levels plus No Continues, so not really that rogue-likelike, honestly.)

24. davemaster says:

Elder Scrolls Online and Planetside 2.

25. Morcane says:

I tried Rocket League (it’s in PS+ on the PS4 so I could get it for free) but I didn’t care for it much. It’s more Hearthstone – the new brawl is amazing and tons of fun, I created ladder and brawl pally decks (my first love in classes), as well as Elite: Dangerous, checking out the Powerplay stuff. I also tried Trove and it’s kind of fun, for those lost moments.

26. RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

I FINALLY beat the Quarantine mission in Alien: Isolation and am free to continue! Yayyyyy! I hope someone actually sees this and I want to ask – if I’ve missed Nostromo logs and ID cards in previous levels, can I just pick up by selecting to play a certain mission in the level select without losing my current progress or do I have to start a new game?
    Also, I will go through the first episode of Life is Strange to figure out if I will want to buy the season pass after that.
    And I’ve been playing Borderlands with a friend, lvl 22 Elemental Siren, but I’m waiting for him to catch up to me due to the stupidly fast levelling, as I played a bit solo. While I wait, I’m going through Borderlands 2 solo with my Anarchy Mechromancer. It’s too much fun once I get two-three hundred stacks.

27. Mud says:

F1 2015, Project CARS and some Fifa 15 with me mate.

28. PsychoWedge says:

I’m hoping for the Witcher 3 patch today, so I can continue that thing. You never know though… And I started Ori and the Blind Forest yesterday but I think that’s a game I would rather play at night when it’s dark. Just beautiful! So in the meantime I’ll try to finsih my Twilight Princess playthrough on Dolphin but I don’t know, somehow the game doesn’t click with me…

29. UncleLou says:

John, I don’t suppose you can tell us which aRPGs those are? I could use a few “unreleased aRPG”-shaped ” holes I can fill with anticipation right next to the Titan Quest shaped hole in *my* life. :-/

And where’s Lost Ark, anyway?

30. Agnosticus says:

Trying out Freedom Planet, because I’m on my traveling gear. It’s very enjoyable so far!

• Kitsunin says:

I’d go so far as to say it’s what the 2D sonic games wanted to be, but even 2 & 3 didn’t really manage. I mean they’re good, but even 3 which I loved at the time, I found to still be full of BS when I went back to it. Freedom planet is just great.

And mmmm, that soundtrack.

31. v1tr1ol says:

PoE: The Awakening – started yesterday with a freshly made char. Looking forward to Act 4, also planning to start on Cruel by tomorrow.

32. lowprices says:

I’ve found that increasingly as I get older and life happens, I’m getting away from epic story-led RPGs and open-world games and all the stuff I used to love. I just don’t have the time or patience to play them anymore. These days I find myself playing either short indie games, roguelikes, simpler multiplayer stuff and handheld games. Stuff that can be completed in a couple of hours, or that has been designed to be played for half an hour here and there and still be rewarding and fun.

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying I’m still just playing Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Monster Hunter 4.

• Frings says:

Absolutely agreed. I find myself wanting *so much* to get into those RPGs again, but I find myself simply unable to due to life. Which is why I would probably be absurdly happy with Witcher 3 and PoE some years back, yet nowadays I just cannot get myself to invest in something I know I won`t even have the time to enjoy.

Whenever people ask me why I don’t enjoy Skyrim for instance, I just say something along the lines of “my time has passed for those kind of games I guess” (whereas it was surely the kind of game I used to DREAM of when I was younger.)

Which is my very long winded way of saying that yes, agreed, and I am also playing Heroes of the Storm.

• OmNomNom says:

That was actually quite sad to read :(. Surely there will come a point where you get old enough that you have MORE free time and you can do those extensive modded Skyrim playthroughs.

• notcurry says:

Yeah, that happens with age. However, the only game I’m currently playing is Mass Effect 2. I still enjoy it even though I fire it up once every two weeks for just a couple of hours. It’s like watching a series in the 90’s. You had to wait a whole week for a new episode, and it didn’t last long, but it was a sweet moment.

Anyway, I think it is still possible to enjoy those kinds of games when your life gets in the way, but the experience is quite different from what you got from them as a kid.

33. Demon Beaver says:

Preparing for a trip to Tuscany by replaying Assassin’s Creed 2. The graphics of the game haven’t aged well, but I like how the episodic nature of the game makes you feel like a lot of time has passed in the story line (a bit reminiscent of the progression in Fable).

Also, playing Resident Evil 5 co-op with my mate. While it’s often silly, the game is surprisingly really fun. I’d love recommendations for similar 2-player co-op experiences, if anyone here can suggest them.

34. Munin says:

I’m planning on continuing my playthrough of the Blackwell series which I picked up during the Steam summer sale. First two games have been really solid. Puzzles have been sensible so far with the only issue being the occasional time where it is unclear you can talk to the same person multiple times and the occasional time where it is not obvious that one character might be able to see something that the other might not. It’s something that’s perhaps a bit more obvious if you didn’t play the first game just before the second as some of the mechanics are rather more limited in the first which can throw you a little in the second.

I also need to get around to finishing my PC play through of the first chapter of Trails in the Sky since the second chapter should be out this year. Second Chapter is slated for Summer 2015 but it has not been a stranger to delays…

• somnolentsurfer says:

I finished Blackwell Deception yesterday. The story really picked up in that game, but I found playing it a lot more frustrating. Had to consult a walkthrough several times, which I hadn’t so far in that series.

35. tsff22 says:

Motherfucking PILLARS, baby!

I also picked up Grimrock 2, Halfway, Loot Heroes and Convoy this week, so I’ll see if I can try out those as well.

I might also continue Divinity and Wasteland 2 to see how far I can get before the Enhanced Editions come out.

36. Bobtree says:

I started AC4: Black Flag this week. Quite a mixed bag, IMHO.

• Orix says:

Quite liking Blag Flag myself, although mainly for the eye-candy of the environments. Loving the beautifully rendered ocean, mayan temples and ramshackle towns.

As a game its just great to chill with. It offers very little challenge if you’ve played through previous games in the series, and I quite the fleet management mini-game.

37. raiders says:

I’ll get a couple of online Talisman games in, then I’ll start my Path of Exile character.

38. TormDK says:

I started on Skyforge.

Decent combat, decent story and plenty to grind.

39. Freud says:

Gwent

40. Perkelnik says:

Witcher 3. Again. Stop asking dammit! :D

41. ansionnach says:

I’m playing Realms of the Haunting. Started it early in the week and had been pretty much glued to it until life intervened. The combat is very easy (I’m used to selecting some sort of hard mode where available) and the adventuring isn’t very difficult but I really like its unique mix of FMV (with decent acting, surprisingly), great voice-overs, 3D exploration, light puzzle solving, adventure and reading. The voice work for Rebecca is particularly good – what a voice! It’s like nothing I’ve ever played before but feels like some sort of Ultima Underworld-lite mixed with Gabriel Knight 3 (with only easy puzzles). It really is much better than the sum of its parts. Or, maybe it’s just that the atmosphere, which is one of those parts, is incredible and the story is delivered very effectively in a unique and interesting way (usually from the voice-overs when you examine your surroundings or inventory; some FMV scenes). Definitely recommend it.

• ansionnach says:

Finished it. Unfortunately it meandered aimlessly for a lot of its length and then ended. Whatever was happening in the story you’d go somewhere (after wandering around aimlessly a lot wondering what you’re supposed to be doing), maybe see a cutscene and solve some puzzles, where there was an over-reliance on hiding things you needed. Playing the hidden object game in a large 3d world is a lot more annoying than in a confined 2d one – especially when you’ve no idea you actually need an item to proceed.

The combat continued to be woeful with enemies that were pretty much all slow-moving and unthreatening, but that took ages to kill anyway. Towards the end I just ran past them as it’s easy to run rings around them without fear of injury. With the hidden item stuff they’re just there to hold you up rather than pose an interesting or engaging challenge. A lot of them move, act and attack identically, the only difference being how much health they have. One of the last bosses just stood there. I stood behind a rock that he couldn’t aim around and sniped at him without needing to move an inch. Not even any crouching required – the AI was so stupid that he couldn’t hit me even though he had a 50% clear shot. Pretty much all other enemies are confined to a certain area so you can just go to a safe spot and pick them off at your leisure (although it’s more like tedium).

It is more about exploration and adventuring so the combat doesn’t matter too much. The plot is (surely intentionally) silly and played out in earnest. There’s a decent amount of reading, which I don’t mind, but I found the text in every book almost illegible, and often felt a bit at a loss as to what was going on. Discussing the important details with your sidekick explains most of it (so you can skip the reading entirely) but I think the pacing of the game suffered in that each time you do something you then have to go off somewhere else to do another seemingly arbitrary thing. I had no idea of how I was progressing in my quest as I had little understanding just how much these errands were achieving within the opaque logic of the game’s world. It was like playing a game of The Dark Knight – you’d solve one problem and then find out the joker was up to something else that was seemingly unconnected with the rest of the “plot”… so you’d go and stop him and then see what else he wanted you to do. The game is a long procession of doing things that seem to have been made up on the spot – perhaps it’s like taking an aerobics class of indeterminate length where you never know what you’ll have to do next until told… and sometimes you’re not even told so you just wander about wondering whether you’ll be allowed go home soon.

It’s still well worth a look, especially since the game shows its strongest hand from very early on – you should know whether it’s for you or not in the opening two or three hours. As I said, the atmosphere is great and the acting is decent (voice-overs are superb). It’s a very unique game. Not the lost classic I was expecting but certainly an interesting curiosity that I could see many liking quite a lot.

42. sairas says:

Crusader Kings II, almost vanilla (only the first 300 dlcs or so).

43. OrangeGills says:

This weekend I’m throwing back to Rome: Total War (the first one).
    It’s been quite fun conquering Rome without waiting 5 minutes to load the next turn, and without having to deal with all the complex buildings and diplomacy of RTW 2.
    It’s a game that is simple (compared to other total war games), yet still challenging and fun to play

44. Kerr Avon says:

I think it’s about time for another playthrough of Douglas Adams’ Starship Titanic. Just me or anyone else?

45. Nureaufan says:

Dawn of Discovery, Cities Skylines, and Dungeons 2. Good times ahead.

Mungrul says:

I’ve been drawn back in to Diablo 3, and I really should complete my Seasonal Hardcore Crusader before end of season.
    To be honest though, I’m getting a little bored of the season format that requires you to level a character from 1 to 70 with no assistance from any of your other characters every time. I’d like Blizzard to come up with some other seasonal format, one that’s not quite so repetitive, but I’m having trouble thinking what that could be.
    To break up the monotony of levelling, I’ve also reinstalled Grim Dawn, which I’ll endeavour to play between grinding sessions in D3.

I’ll also be pootling about pew-pewing in Elite, and I may dive back in to Pillars of Eternity at some point. Although unlike the Hivemind, it really hasn’t gripped me as much as the other resurgent RPGs that have been released recently. I’ve had a much better time with Original Sin and Wasteland 2. I don’t know exactly what it is, but those two games just feel better than Pillars. I’ve had it since release, and have recently started again after getting very close to the end in a previous save before getting bored.

I would be playing Witcher 3, but after two complete playthroughs, I’m a little weary of it. I hopped in briefly earlier this week in order to try out the new quest, but it doesn’t look like it’s playable with Geralts who’ve completed the main quest. Bah.

But I’ll also be walking around parks in South East London a lot, watching parrots in Greenwich and dogs in Hilly Fields :)

Mungrul says:

Bugger, forgot to close my italic tag. DAMN YOU, LACK OF EDIT!

47. malkav11 says:

Well, my SWTOR two month subscription ended earlier this week, so that’s going on the backburner for now. I fully intend to reup before the end of the month to finish out my Jedi Knight’s storyline and I think probably then finish up the Sith Inquisitor that was my first character, plus snag that freebie companion from the leadup to the next expansion. But right now probably time to knock out a few things that aren’t that.

Such as Tales from the Borderlands (started Episode Two on Thursday but was too tired to make it very far). And The Magic Circle, since that came out. I suspect I may push further on in Splinter Cell Conviction, as well. I can certainly see why fans of the prior Splinter Cell games objected to it, since it seems about 50% cover shooter and only 50% stealth game, as opposed to the previous games’ very heavy emphasis on stealth. But frankly, I never got very far into those games because they weren’t particularly forgiving or permissive of multiple approaches (certainly the first game wasn’t). And Conviction definitely doesn’t let you play it as a straight shooter. You’ll die quickly if you just charge in guns blazing. But sometimes you can sneak around picking people off in quite satisfying ways, and only go weapons free if you mess up, and sometimes stealth and tactical approaches are the keys to winning virtually unavoidable firefights. Either way, that’s a gameplay loop I find pretty satisfying, and I also appreciate a lot of the aesthetics of the game. Not to mention the system where you get to upgrade your stuff for completing various gameplay feats. I’m told Blacklist is a distinct improvement on all of these things, which I can believe, but hey. I like to play things in order. There’ll be time for Blacklist later.

48. simplesauce says:

Playing Underrail and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. A high contrast situation.

49. Chorltonwheelie says:

All set for the final Big One in GTA V. I’ll be sad to finish it but I get my life back.

Will probably do some Payday with my boy (you can look forward to this John. We were both crying laughing…he swore at me for the first time ever *PROUD*).

Might try to get back into Elite in the week.

teije says:

I really want to play something else (Pillars, EUIV, Divinity, Darkest Dungeon all are calling) but can’t tear myself away from Sunless Sea. It’s genuinely hypnotizing.