His Story: FMV Murder Mystery Contradiction Released

Contradiction [official site] is essentially a daytime murder mystery show made into an FMV-tastic game, only it’s starring not a detective you know but some new chap whose quirk seems to be wearing a hat. Her Story it is not. My dream daytime murder mystery game would be a take on Persona, where me and my pals Jessica Fletcher and Mark Sloan uncover clues by day then at night transform into fighting avatars, but Contradiction has my interest until that arrives.

Our John is right now piecing together clues to deduce Wot He Thinks, but I saw it and got excited so I’m telling you before then.

Contradiction sees strange-goings on in a small English village, with suicides and whispers of Satanism and demons and mind control. Oh, what a classic murder mystery plot!

The game’s split between Myst-y 3D exploration and live action video. As people tell their stories to your policeman, you’ll need to spot contradictions in what they’re saying to catch them lot. It looks clunky and hammy but quite charming. I do have a soft spot for this daytime murder mystery sort of thing. I wonder what John will tell us all once he’s finished with it.

Contradiction is available from Steam for Windows and Mac for £6.99. It’s the brainchild of Tim Follin, who was a video game composer before moving into TV.

1. phlebas says:

I remember Tim Follin’s name from some amazing Spectrum game music – clever stuff it was hard to believe came from a monophonic beeper.
    This new project looks like fun – Casebook meets Phoenix Wright, but English?

2. Chaz says:

Is that Paul Darrow I see, aka Kerr Avon from Blakes 7?

distantlurker says:

Opening pic dialogue.

Hatman “Alice, did you use my police badge to eat a sticky bun, again?”
    TheSuit *underHisBreath* “draaamaaaa”
    Alice *staring at feet* “Sorry, the young Mr Malkovich..”

*Enter Taggart, stage right*

DCI McAngry “There’s been a murder!”

Lars Westergren says:

> a small English village, with suicides and whispers of Satanism and demons and mind control.

So, a slightly grittier Midsomer Murders? I’m up for that, if the puzzles are good.

5. melnificent says:

Netflix seems to be expanding the daytime murder mystery lineup…murder she wrote, murdoch mysteries, Midsomer murders, Jonathan Creek, poirot and I swear I saw diagnosis murder too. There’s a 1920s flapper detective that I can’t remember the name of but is also good to watch.

Country flicking might be necessary for them all.

Lars Westergren says:

> There’s a 1920s flapper detective that I can’t remember the name of but is also good to watch.

Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. Shot in Melbourne, Australia.

6. TheAngriestHobo says:

I think you may be underestimating the critical role proper headwear plays in solving crimes. No one ever stopped a killer with a chilly pate.

7. caff says:

Having just completed(?) Her Story, I’m genuinely interested. Again at such a budget price you can’t really go wrong can you?

Who ever knew FMV could make such a comeback.

• tomimt says:

I do love that FMV has returned in some form and I’d guess it might be cheaper in some cases to do FMV rather than try to achieve same thing thing with 3D. And I do think FMV works far better now because of the higher resolutions. The 90’s FMV always annoyed me a bit because ot was so pixelated or in worst cases interlaced.

8. XhomeB says:

There are some FMV adventures I absolutely LOVE – Gabriel Knight 2, Tex Murphy series (Tesla Effect got criminally ignored pretty much everywhere, btw) and Black Dahlia (the latter is pretty much forgotten, sadly – a shame, because despite the rather kitschy plot in the latter third part of the game, it was bloody awesome. Fun puzzles and incredible atmosphere).

Is there a demo of this one?

• tomimt says:

Yeah, Tesla Effect does deserve more love than it got. The game is pretty good and the FMV parts are done pretty damn well. And in many places the FMV looks far more expensive than the actual budget of the game was.

9. Geebs says:

Tag line: “That’s not an argument!”

10. alms says: