Jade Raymond Heads New EA Studio

Yup, that's the EA logo all right.

Cross-studio collaboration is a big deal in AAA development nowadays, and EA this week announced they’ve opened a new studio that’ll chip in with others’ games and work on new things.

Motive Studios’ first known project is working on Visceral’s mysterious new Star Wars game written by former Uncharted head writer Amy Hennig. They’ll be working with their fellow Montreal lot at BioWare too (I imagine on Mass Effect: Andromeda, yeah?). EA also mention Motive will be working on something new using DICE’s Frostbite engine, which is now ubiquitous at EA, though that game’s still under wraps for now.

“Yanick Roy and the BioWare Montreal team are doing some new and exciting things with Mass Effect: Andromeda and it’s clear that there is already so much talent to collaborate with on site,” studio head Jade Raymond said in the announcement. Raymond was formerly managing director of Ubisoft Toronto.

She adds, “Motive will be a creative-driven team, incubating entirely new IP and taking on some amazing projects. The first one is going to be really exciting – we’re going to work on Amy Hennig’s Star Wars game!”

Hennig was formerly head writer on the PlayStation-exclusive Indiana Jones simulator series Uncharted, and the big-mouthed actor behind its big-mouthed star has let a few details slip. Nolan North recently called it “a brand new Star Wars franchise in the style of Uncharted”. That was the basic idea of the scrapped Star Wars 1313, but it sounds like this is something different.

Raymond will also oversee the Visceral studio in California, who are working on that game. You might know them as the makers of Dead Space, but I’ll always remember them for their old name, EA Redwood Shores, for its great acronym.

So far, this is all a load of announcements with nothing to show for them but hey, I know some of y’all have a fascination with games industry goings-on.

1. Stupoider says:

Who?

• kevinspell says:

Somebody who made mediocre games and became a news piece becouse there was no real news to report.

But if we consider this as news, since I mostly avoid EA, I guess it’s good news.

2. Xzi says:

Good to know EA is determined to spread its plague of low-quality games as far as they can.

• blindfish says:

I think the problem with EA is that it’s run by a greedy soulless (and somewhat stupid) artificial intelligence that just wants to take over the world by brainwashing us into unquestioning mind slaves for the uranium mines.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Ugh not the uranium mines. I hate uranium mines. So dull and depressing. Took me ages to escape the last one.

3. Distec says:

LET’S NOT GET TOO POSITIVE ALREADY, FOLKS

4. Hobbes says:

Given her last major outing was AC: Unity and well, that turned out to be artistically brilliant but mechanically stodgy and technically horrific, that’s going to be an interesting thing to follow. Then again, she’s decided to throw her lot in with Visceral (Siding with Jim Sterling on this one), who are essentially next on EA’s firing squad, so she’s essentially on a short term contract. At worst this will just add another line to her resume, and then get reshuffled from EA studio to EA studio as they jettison Visceral much like they’ve done with Maxis.

I hope Jade knows who she’s shaking hands with, because when you deal with the devil…

• briangw says:

I don’t know where you got that information from but she never worked on Unity according to her list of games. In fact, she’s been at the Toronto managing that since 2010 while Unity was developed at the Quebec office.

• briangw says:

Well, this was in your link

“It wasn’t a game Raymond was connected to, at least not in terms of development.”

• briangw says:

That would explain why it’s not in her profile, yet, given how she has been associated in the series, I’m sure she sat in on various project meetings.

• Hobbes says:

Truth of the matter is we’ll never know exactly how things went down re AC:Unity, but Jade did get it wound around her neck as far as I understand, and she doesn’t seem very keen to discuss it. Which means it’s not been a pleasant outcome. That said, is EA a better option, really?

Like I said, shake hands with the devil…

X_kot says:

Wait a second…they’re creating a studio rather than acquiring, eroding, and then discarding one? Next you’ll tell me that they’re revisiting franchises long thought abandoned.

6. Wulfram says:

Are they actually working on ME:A? It sounds more like they’re in more or less the same building and will be probably be sharing expertise and stuff.

7. Gwog says:

Her treatment by the community was sickening so it is pleasing to see that she has been successful and likely has made large mountains of money.

Obviously I’m not going to start buying EA games or anything, but hey good on you Jade Raymond.

• SuicideKing says:

What had happened? Over Unity I’d assume?

• SuicideKing says:

Sorry I meant to quote you but ended up putting my own sentence in that block.

• Gwog says:

She was put out in front of the first AC marketing because she’s smart, legit, and beautiful, and the disgusting trolls who don’t understand how biz works did what they do best. Success is the best revenge.

• SuicideKing says:

Ah, I see. Thanks.

• Distec says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t just swallow that.

There were certainly a few interviews/articles where the author would awkwardly mention her attractiveness, but she was hardly mistreated by the “gaming community”, however you want to define that.

In the last interview I read with her in the last year, she doesn’t appear to have any problems with the industry or culture. Make of that what you will.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

It’s nothing to do with the trolls tbh. Big businesses seem to feel the need to make a scapegoat when a disaster happens. Convince the shareholders that the person/persons responsible are gone and that it won’t happen again etc. It’s the same thing that happened with John Riccitiello over the Sim City debacle.

8. anonzp says:

the only news we should be getting about EA is that its shutting down

EA has killed so many beloved game franchises that its disgusting that anyone would pay more than 30 seconds of thought to them

9. bit.bat says:

Never heard of this Star Wars. Must be entirely new IP, please tell me more.

• welverin says:

I believe Alice mentioned everything that is known about it right now. Beyond the fact Amy Hening is heading it at Visceral, EA really hasn’t said anything.

• AngoraFish says:

Yes, the terms “new IP” and “Star Wars” don’t seem to belong in the same sentence, at least not without a negative somewhere in there.

• bit.bat says:

Yeah I thought so as well. To be fair what she says doesn’t mean that they will be doing new IP exclusively but the two terms are quite funny to see in such close proximity!

• Jimbo says:

Why can’t the stars just get along? :(

10. Spacewalk says:

Is that logo the new branding for early access?

11. Perjoss says:

I’m more interested in hearing news about lead designers, lead programmers, concept leads and art directors, you know people that actually create content for the games we play, but I guess they are not as pretty as Jade.

• pipman3000 says:

i’d be more interested in hearing stories about ARE TROOPS instead of some lame nerds who probably who probably live on benefits and burn the poppy

Don Reba says:

I’d be more interested in hearing stories about Jesus our Lord, but I guess he doesn’t have guns and bomber drones.

• Perjoss says:

I can only assume this is sarcasm, seeing as we are on a video games website, and the only troops you’ll be reading about here are little digital ones that appear on your monitor.

• AngoraFish says:

I’m fine with pretty.

12. Armante says:

Just pick up what’s left of Star Wars 1313 and finish it. It was looking pretty good

13. Dicehuge says:

*Straightens tie and clears throat*
    Actually, EA is bad.

14. peterako1989 says:

So, chicks dig douchebags afterall