Let’s Be Franc: Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege Video

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege [official site] is due for release on October 13th, which means there’s presumably still 650 trailers waiting to be carted out of Ubisoft’s enormous underground trailer mines. I don’t mind. I’m keen enough to return to Rainbow Six’s world of tactical first-person shootering that I’ll even enjoy class introduction videos like the one below.

The video introduces the French GIGN and their myriad of equipment, including a man with a shield, a man with a healing dart gun, a lady with a remote control explosive de-sploder, and a man with a selection of natty kevlar vests. That last guy should probably distribute his goods before the mission starts, but I don’t think that’s how it works.

Here it is:

Rainbow Six: Siege is aiming to marry to the slow-and-steady tactics of the best of Rainbow Six – with pre-round scouting using remote cameras in place of a strict planning mode – with the faster and more frenetic combat of something like Counter-Strike. It’s trying to accomplish that via destructible scenery, which both rewards those who like smashing things with those who like carefully planning where to place defenses to be smashed.

Pip and I had a go at hitting things with sledgehammers back before the closed beta closed, if you want to read our thoughts. I liked it – it’s more Rainbow Six Vegas 2 than it is Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, but Rainbow Six Vegas 2 was great.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. vahnn says:

Hmm.

2. go4brendon says:

Played the multiplayer alpha, its was ok nothing amazing.

3. SIDD says:

How convenient that there’s 20x50cm holes at ground level for “Twitch” to drive her RC car through … instead of …. say … shoot someone in their feet or roll a grenade through.

And healing dart? Seriously?! WTF is this? Team Fortress?

4. FieldyGB says:

yeah Stim pistol? tut tut

5. Gap Gen says:

Next up: the terrorists *shots of menacing Greenpeace activists*

6. Synesthesia says:

A healing gun? Man, they’re getting desperate.

7. BlackeyeVuk says:

I don’t want to be Frank. Im Martin ;____:

8. pund says:

So sad what they’re doing to the tom clancy/rainbow six franchise..

9. slerbal says:

It’s certainly no SWAT4, that’s for sure :(

If I wanted to play CSGO I’d play CSGO.

No thanks.

10. Howard says:

“but Rainbow Six Vegas 2 was great”
    Should have put that first. Would have saved me the bother of reading the rest of it as your opinion is clearly of no use to me.

11. kulik says:

Life of a special force member is more important than saving a civilian life. If you’re making a game about special forces better do some research.

• firefek says:

Well, I disagree, especially for CT operations. How much experience do you have in a special forces outfit? They’re all pretty expendable in reality. SF don’t win wars, they get the hardest jobs and the prestige that goes with it, but they are also only human – contrary to what Act of Valour might show. The main priority is the mission, which could be ensuring the safety of a citizen, it’s up to the brass to decide that. I know for sure that they won’t bat an eye to send an entire commando unit behind enemy lines to rescue one downed pilot. Rescuing civvies is not far off, in fact, the fact that the civilian is not a soldier could make him innately more valuable because he is not in service.

• kulik says:

No experience here, just lots of books and a friend of mine is a member of police special forces.

One member of CT forces may have like 1-3* mil. dollars worth of training (*resources give different figures, nobody knows, it is classified), yes, you send them in but you rely that their superior training and equipment will tip the odds significantly in their favor. Nobody expects them to go die for a clerk held hostage in a liquor store.

Don’t know about military SF. Downed pilot with training and combat experienced may be easily worth over 10 mil. of dollars, it is a different story, and they still may let him move miles for a favorable landing zone to mitigate the risks. You sometimes read stories about their heroic actions, but there are also disastrous anecdotes like the faith of quick reaction force rescuing Marc Luttrell.

• Holysheep says:

There are more GIGN members who died in training, than in an operation. As such… I highly doubt that.

• kulik says:

You doubt what?

The point is that the life of a police officer isn’t worth less than hostage’s. …unless a high priority target like diplomats, politics, high religious officials and such, and even then, they aren’t told directly “Go, save him with disregard to your safety, die if that is what it takes.”
            My friend actually told me that is for their individual judgement how much they want to risk their life, he literally told me “I would not trade a flesh wound for a junkie held hostage by his former buddies.” When I asked him about mother and two kids he said something like “I don’t know, maybe I would and maybe I wouldn’t.”

12. hamilcarp says:

First line of the trailer, the narrator calls the organization “Rainbow Six” when Six is just the name of the program director, Rainbow is the organization. Doesn’t help that everything after that point just looked like regurgitated Battlefield sameness. I have no hopes for this abomination.

• cosmitz says:

By this point it’s a brand name, even if it bears little resemblance to its origins.

13. Troubletcat says:

I am eternally sad that big budget game studios categorically don’t make games that are as deep, interesting or challenging as the classic Rainbow Six titles anymore. Gotta look to indies for true successors to nearly every great franchise of yore. The one POSSIBLE exception I can think of is Deus Ex…

I get that it’s the nature of business. The industry has expanded. Budgets are bigger now. The market is much bigger for casual gamers than for people who are willing to spend 20 minutes planning a mission on a map screen just to see it all fall apart 30 seconds after the shootbangs actually start. It just makes me sad. When I was young and naive and full of hope I thought that improved technology would eventually mean games with prettier graphics and maybe better interfaces, but also with even more depth and complexity. Instead we get big budget games that are so watered down that it’s basically homeopathy and small budget games that are often apparently willfully obtuse in order to pay tribute to games that were designed in a time when we didn’t know any better and the technology wasn’t there.

How come we so rarely get to have games with polish and shine and a high level of usability but that also feature as much depth as we saw in the games of the mid/late 90s? The RPG genre has shown some promise with this lately, but outside of that, forget about it. Especially in shooters.

Kind of went of on a tangent there. But I see what’s happened to the Rainbow Six franchise as a striking example of something endemic to the industry as a whole that I just find really depressing.

• vlonk says:

With massively raising budgets they need to aim for bigger marketshares and so they water down the game to reduce the entry barrier to the tactic shootyshoot down to the ADHD lvl.
      What the industry needs to achieve excellence in exotic titles again is a modular scattershot approach to gamedesign and their tech and art assets. Take your nice assets and iterate a dozen games out of them which each can be quite different. The same assets can probably produce anything from a tactical shooter (netcode + needs more interface) to several story driven romp (insert gangster/ revenge/ police/ military/ vigilante/ mercenary storyline here) to an arena shooter (netcode + finely balanced shootybang corridors).

With this approach the development costs could be DRAMATICALLY reduced. This is basically the approach the modding scene is taking. Build on the HL2 engine and develop your game out of it. Build on the Skyrim engine and develop some new exotic storylines. This is also what Telltale is doing with their engine for storytelling.

There is NO reason the FPS gameindustry could not approach it the same way. This approach can reduce your unit cost down to 20-30 EUR as a online retail price and therefore vastly increase your reach. But no… every FPS game must have every STUFF there is and be a standalone full fledged product with a thousand DLC and a dozen multiplayer modes nowadays.

• aperson4321 says:

They actually do reuse assets between games at Ubisoft, the generic badguys, generic art assets, etc is reused after a bit of editing in different games, but it still takes ages making a game, expecially something with that got enough polish and gold plating to provide the type of reliable entertainment that actually makes enough money in the AAA business. While mods are great and are made by a few people the type of entertainment mainsteam people want need to be far more polished for them, a 40 somethind dad who got 30 min of gaming each week dont have the time for hard to understand mods.

14. Leroy says:

My biggest issue with this is that most of the French operators all have English code names.
    I like Montagne. But Doc, Rook and Twitch?? Would be nice if they gave each nation a bit more individuality.

I have no idea how each nation plays differently in the game, there may be gameplay/clarity reasons which I do not know of.

• Gap Gen says:

I like to think that doc is short for “docteur” (who continuously flaunts his PhD that no-one cares about), rook is short for “requin” (who really likes sharks and won’t fricking shut up about it on the chopper ride over) and twitch is short for “twitch.tv” (who keeps muttering “kappa” every mission)

• Gap Gen says:

Also all of them have really strong opinions about the UMP.

• Leroy says:

While I get your response is tongue-in-cheek and makes references which have gone over my head, I still am annoyed at some choices.
          ‘Doc’ tends to be used more by US forces (and interepretations). It seems out of place for English forces, let alone French!
          I also feel ‘Rook’ is the opposite, very English. For American forces ‘Castle’ would be more appropriate.

15. FoSmash says:

Rainbow just got sixed!

16. Holysheep says:

Alright, females in the GIGN. Ubisoft confirmed for not doing research.

17. Oktober Storm says:

When they put so much work into a game, why can’t it be about the challenge and the brainwork of real tactics? Why can’t this be a spiritual sequel to SWAT 4? Healing shot, really? This is a game for kids.