Soar Over Stormwind In Warcraft Interactive Trailer

No, really, I do.

Hey look, a cool trailer inspired by the Warcraft movie where you fly over Stormwind on a gryphon. You can even move the camera about as you do so and… what’s that? A chance to overthink the whole thing?

Sure, sure, I can do that.

Prepare to soar through the epic world of Azeroth in this official 360 video inspired by the Warcraft movie and developed by Industrial Light & Magic xLAB. Look all around you as you fly over the city of Stormwind on the back of the mythic gryphon.

Technical point: it’s been designed for Chrome. You can try it in other browsers but it might be rubbish or broken. I tried it in IE and the 360 interactive aspect didn’t work and the gryphon was a bit of a mess.

Here’s where I’m at with it all though:

1. What the heck is my point of view supposed to be here? The most obvious idea is that I am riding the gryphon, but then I look down and I have no legs and no butt and no arms. I am floating several feet above the gryphon.

2. But then if I am not physically attached to this creature and I can clearly hover or fly, why am I only going where it goes?

3. I also don’t seem to have any limbs or extremities so I guess I am a ball.

4. A floating ball.

5. As a floating ball why do I want to be friends with this bird?

6. Maybe I am a floating ball that is also some kind of airborne remora and I am cleaning this gryphon of mites by sucking at it from a respectful distance.

7. That sounds right.

8. Maybe I should resubscribe to WoW if I can be a parasite-eating ball.

9. I hope the ball is in the movie.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

1. You are a floatign ball
    2. Magic
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. What, now birds aren’t allowed to have ball-friends? A bit racist, don’t you think?
    6. You’re not in a Sharknado
    7. Not. Sharknado.
    8. Not responsible for your life choices!!
    9. Yes, played by Michael Fassbender

2. Sam says:

In the world of Warcraft (not World of Warcraft, but the world in which Warcraft exists) there are difficult questions about personhood. With humans, demons, orcs, elves, living corpses, beast races, people that turn into animals, and so much more, how do we decide who should be considered a person with rights and freedoms, and who is just an animal?

Fortunately these metaphysical questions of personhood are answered by viewing perspective. Player characters are able to see themselves in the third person meaning that they are true Persons worthy of respect, freedom, and free bank storage. NPCs are stuck in first person, marking them as little more than animals or quest givers. It is tradition that when a child first learns to read a sign is attached to their back, if they’re able to read it they will be taken from their non-person parents and raised as the independent hero they deserve to be.

This video documents the first gryphon to attain personhood by projecting their perspective outside of their body. The gryphon is very happy about this, so is flying around Stormwind totally showing off like a big show off.

• LionsPhil says:

Truly, this one is wise.

• Comradebluesky says:

I await further exposition of this viewpoint in a respectable academic journal.

• Robert Post's Child says:

Third-person view: The sign of a living being achieving true self-awareness, also good for getting at those tricky back hairs.

3. PancakeWizard says:

It works with the iOS YouTube app, FYI.

4. Fluxo says:

You can also view the video via the YouTube app on iOS and Android to see the 360 effect.

5. Caerphoto says:

Someone should tell the Stormwind guard about those giant WARCRAFT letters in that cloud. Could be a flight hazard.

6. Barberetti says:

Just soared over Pluto riding the New Horizons probe, using the NASA’s Eyes app, which is not browser dependent.

NASA 1 – 0 ILM

7. Rizlar says:

I prefer the non-360 version, it looks like the griffon is doing the superman-flying-with-your-arms-out-thing. Also bending reality around itself.

8. Spacewalk says:

#1 – #6 – A wizard did it.
    7 – Right.

9. Freud says:

But why?

10. RayEllis says:

If only the game looked as good…

11. jrodman says:

Having been to Stormwind, I will say that the geography of this is rubbish.

• nearly says:

Well it hasn’t been burned down and rebuilt yet. Trust me, the people upstairs agree with you and they have plans to scrap it and redo the whole thing.

phuzz says:

It works with the Occulus Rift when you use Virtual Desktop.

13. Xzi says:

Was this also the VR trailer they released for the movie? I’m guessing so, just with 3D tacked on.

14. racccoon says:

How much waste of money was that?
    So stupid.
    Some of these tech tweaks are just a waste of time, the guy who got paid so does not think so!
    These crazy ideas do not deliver any messages but hopelessness.

• icecreamjones says:

…you okay bud? You sound a bit nihilistic about a fucking movie trailer

• tumbleworld says:

There is no truth but pain.
      There is no fate but death.
      There is no hope at all.

Particularly not on patch day.

Blimey, Stormwind’s grown a bit…

15. jrodman says:

I hope Metzen was heavily involved in authoring the storyline of the film. Because then it will truly live up to being a videogame movie.