It’s Coming Home: Five Nights At Freddy’s 4 In August

Over eleven months and three games, Five Nights at Freddy’s [official site] has terrified more children than I could hope to in a lifetime. Imagine their snotty little faces peeking out from beneath blankets at night, bottom lips quivering. The fools. Five Nights at Freddy’s 4 will despoil this final sanctum, bringing animatronic jumpscare horrors into a normal home and a child’s bedroom. Let’s see you sleep now, kiddies. Creator Scott Cawthon may be my new hero.

A new trailer shows off this setting and brings word that the game’s release date has been bumped up from Halloween to August 4th – the one-year anniversary of the first game’s release.

First off, dang! Four games out in one year! That’s pretty impressive. And three of them have been pretty big hits. Some grumbleguts always seems to pipe up that they’re not the most sophisticated games but sheesh, give it up. I’ve been impressed by the series inspiring a big fan community, with folks who pore over details to draw up theories about what’s going on (a serial killer murdered kids at the pizzeria and stuffed them into the animatronic animals, goes one theory) and many who make their own Five Nights-inspired games.

When I looked back in January, I found 217 Five Nights fan games. I went to update this list recently but they now number in the thousands, and I do not have sufficient time or copy/paste finger stamina for that.

A couple of YouTubers also have word that Five Nights will still be spooking up Halloween, with a free update bringing something chilling.

1. Nevard says:

So is the main character called Freddy? The landlord? How can you call this game Five Nights at Freddy’s when the owner of the house isn’t called Freddy?
    Despicable.

2. tnzk says:

The developer must be making a boatload of money, and I don’t say that snarlingly.

Keep the costs down, make it accessible, and please the hell out of the fans. I think AAA developers with their monstrous budgets, plethora of bugs, and ambitious sales targets could learn a thing or two from small teams or even one-man bands. Except the Assassin’s Creed developers. Don’t learn a thing or two. Just stahp.

• Shuck says:

This is basically the strategy of any game developer who wants to survive has, in theory: if you make a hit game, continue doing more of that, as quickly as you can get them out. In this case, they’ve made a game of a manageable scale using tools and/or methodologies that allow them to really crank out the sequels. I suppose this is really just episodic gameplay that actually works, at least as far as the target audience is concerned.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

It’s fine to respect the accomplishment, but I don’t think we should be piling on the commendations for a company that hit upon the way to make the most money with the least effort. I think that far more of us are interested in games as entertainment, rather than games as contrived vehicles for cash delivery. To me, FNaF is a puzzle game with a gimmick that has been rebranded three times and counting.

3. Kollega says:

And then, the whole shebang was ground into dust by the 7th Geistpanzer-Division of Erwin Rommel’s atonement-seeking, time-travelling ghost. BOO!

Sorry. I’m just a bit cheesed off that Five Nights at Freddy’s is oozing out of every major fanart site like it’s the only thing on the menu. And it’s hard to feel animated about the whole affair when the writing takes itself dead-seriously. Maybe it’s just my foxy sense of pride speaking, but it feels like serving the whole affair like an uprarious black comedy would be child’s play – hell, some fans do exactly that.

• RedViv says:

Well duh, of course animated puppetry killing things would be an uprarious darkly comedic horror called Child’s Play.

• Kollega says:

Touché. Your observation is cutting like a pizza knife.

4. JimmyG says:

I’m trying to remember the last time I saw a game’s release date moved up, and how much smaller the leap was than “almost three months.” All I can think of is Spacebase DF-9, and I don’t think that counts.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s interesting, Scott seems to be cautious with his release estimates, and winds up pleasantly surprising folks when the FNAF games come out earlier than expected. I wish more people would do it this way, it’s just so, so much better than the opposite.

5. fco says:

so if I were to get one of them, which one should I go for?
    what sets each of them apart?

• Kitsunin says:

Probably the first one, really. Its gameplay is the simplest, with 2 basically being 1 but more complicated and difficult. 3 is probably the easiest, and also the most interesting gameplay wise (1 and 2 are somewhat gimped by the fact that they can be bested via very simple strategies, and pretty much need to be for the last nights because they get so nasty), but its story makes little to no sense without having played the first two.

6. Demievil says:

The jump-scare in the trailer got me – I think this game is not for me

7. MikoSquiz says:

The animatronic puppets being stuffed with murdered children isn’t so much “one theory” as it is canon. It’s implied so heavily that if they wanted to be any more heavy-handed about it they’d have to use some kind of combustion-powered lever mechanism.

Fan speculation is short on the “what” at this point, it’s all “who” and “why” and “when” and “how”.

8. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

I picked up the first game to see what it’s all about.. Meh, its for kids.. If puppets started fucking about in my house I’d simply beat the shit out of their fuzzy little mecharses. Outlast and amnesia use the dark and disempowerment to scare you but.. I dunno… Why can’t gaming do scary with substance?

• Kitsunin says:

I don’t think it’s so simple. I watched a review in which the guy talked about how the reason it scared him so much was to do with the way it targeted childhood fears. It’s true that animatronics aren’t that scary…I mean, everything isn’t scary to some people, it’s just that some fears are more common than others.

Where Amnesia’s dark and unknown are near-universal fears, Freddy’s’s animatronics vary from something which could be anywhere from terrifying, if you had some sort of animatronic-related childhood trauma, to unsettling, if you’ve had creepy experiences with the uncanny valley, to boring, if you had little of such experiences during the time in your life when irrational fears tend to form.

• Kollega says:

And of course, the whole thing makes no goddamn sense as a psychological horror whatsoever if you haven’t even seen a single animatronic in your entire life and never heard what Chuck E. Cheese’s even is untill this game, like for example most Russian, Indian, or Chinese people had. Which means that to at least 1/3rd of the world’s population, FNAF is deep not so much as exploration of childhood fears as it is as as exploration of a setting that’s more American than a greaser-frequented malt shop in a suburb of Indianapolis. That, and a jumpscare-a-thon :P

• minkiii says:

This game looks terrifying! You don’t need specific knowledge of Chuck E Cheese in order to find these puppets scary as hell. But then, I couldn’t get past the demo of FNAF1 – can’t stand jumpscares, the suspense was crazy, I couldn’t do it.

It probably depends on how easily you suspend disbelief when it comes to puppets and animatronics in general. I love puppets but animatronics (nice or evil) creep me out. I don’t trust them. Probably mentally scarred as child by “evil Bill and Ted” and the Terror Tomb at Chessington.

9. dethtoll says:

The first FNAF was one of the most incompetently put together games I’ve ever spent money on and this series’ popularity baffles me.

• Kollega says:

As something of a furry, I can easily say in two words: furry bait. And not always in a good way.

• Kitsunin says:

As slightly more than something of a furry, I would say usually not in a good way. There’s some cute Chica art, but everything else is creepy as hell, mostly because it’s not supposed to be creepy but eww eww eww it is.

And I only just realized that it’s the souls of children in the animatronics…wow, that makes it even more awful. Wow.

• Kollega says:

By “not always in a good way”, I was meaning that some popular artists are drawing Freddy and the gang as cartoon heroes (like one TaleSpin-looking series on dA), which I also qualify as “furry” because personal definitions, but… well… yeah, I was dumb and you’re pretty much on point. And yes, the fact that animatronics are actually controlled by the dead children makes it about ten times worse… not that it will deter anyone >_>

• statistx says:

As someone as a “not furry” I’d say the dead children make it better…JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING XD