Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor – Martyr Announced

He could lead a crossover thrash band with a face tattoo like that.

In the grim, dark future, there is only war, but in the grim, sunny present we… well, Warhammer 40k games haven’t taken over everything just yet. Games Workshop are preparing to launch an assault on another genre, though, announcing an action-RPG with the lengthy title of mouthy title of Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr [official site].

NeocoreGames, them lot behind the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing action-RPG trilogy, are will let us purge heretics as a member of the Inquisition – the fiery secret religious police of the Imperium. The game’s due to launch in 2016, but I couldn’t tell you much more beyond that.

Neocore’s announcement calls it a “persistent sandboxed Action-RPG” and “grim” and “brutal”, and this is the biggest chunk o’ details:

“The single player campaign pitches players into a grim and secret war among the stars as the agents of the ever-vigilant Inquisition. After the end of the campaign the story continues in a colossal sandboxed game set in the same secluded sector of this vast universe. This persistent setting grants years of constant entertainment, gradual development and a continuous flow of content that enriches the Action-RPG gameplay.”

Okey doke. Purging and murder, then. Neocore plan to show more of the game at Gamescom in August. In the meantime, here’s a short cinematic teaser trailer with a skull and and an angry man:

1. Volcanu says:

Im not sure an ARPG hackfest is the best use of the ‘Inquistor’ theme to be honest. There’s so many more interesting ways it could be explored.

And another 40k going to a studio of dubious credentials. Did anyone play this Van Helsing game? Was it good?

• wengart says:

It’s been a while, but if I recall. The Van Helsing game was good in a workmen like quality. Not a star of its genre by any means but a fun romp if you enjoy that style of game.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

My opinion also, Helsing would be even better if the genre wasn’t flooded by say Grim Dawn, Path of exile etc.

• trn says:

I enjoyed the first Van Helsing more than PoE or Grim Dawn. This is (rather suitably) heresy, I am sure. The focus was on completing the story rather than the post-game loot fest. On hardest difficulty, hardcore mode, it was more of a puzzle game trying to create a hero that could survive the end boss. Sure, the aesthetics and music ripped off the Downey Jr Sherlock but I am a sucker for anything that reminds me of Arcanum. 2&3 got a bit bloated with unnecessary additional content, but Neocore have always struck me as a friendly and engaged developer and I am looking forward to this.

• Kreeth says:

Inquisitor would be the perfect setting for a proper party based talk-sneak-and-fight RPG. I read the Jaq Draco things recently and was struck by how close to something like Mass Effect it could be.

Oh Emperor, I just thought of CDPR doing a proper Inquisitor game and nearly died of wistful longing.

• Zephro says:

The Jaq Draqo character or any Inquisitor would entirely suit a Deus Ex style of Action RPG, but not a hack and slashy one. Something with open levels and conspiracies, with all sorts of different ways to approach a problem (talking your way in or just burning everything for example).

• blastaz says:

Talking your way in AND THEN burning everyone you mean?

That sounds awesome. Frankly I would settle for a talkie rpg by spider of orcs and men and war logs cult status. They would do grim dark well even if the final game was only a seven.

On the other hand I would like to see neocore go back to their King Arthur the rpg tbs days…

• Flopper says:

Fuck ARPGs!!!!!! God I’m so sick of them and their shallow gameplay. Just kill it with fire already and move on to a more interesting genre.

2. AriochRN says:

Hmmm, the longer I stare at that Bolter, the more it resembles a slimmed down Impossibear from Bravest Warriors

3. geisler says:

Next in a long line of 40K shovelware.

4. int says:

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only gritting teeth.

5. Monggerel says:

In the grim etc. there is only shovelware

6. TomxJ says:

In the Grim Darkness of the far future the symbol of your secret organisation is tattoo’d onto your forehead.

7. Bydandii says:

If I could make a Caiphas Cain clone I may just sign up.

8. Press X to Gary Busey says:

In other Warhammer news: GOG’s got Chaos Gate, Shadow of the Horned Rat and Final Liberation now.

• Volcanu says:

Ooh has it? That IS exciting.

I love Chaos Gate and although I still have my CD copy the prospect of a stable version is too tempting to pass up!

Thanks for the heads up!

• melancholicthug says:

Yaay, that’s the best news!! Will definitively get all of them come next sale.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

Chaos Gate is for sale? Happy day!

Earl-Grey says:

Oooh, I just had an idea!
    Think Eisenhorn meets Knights of the Old Republic/Mass Effect/Deus Ex
    Hear that Games Workshop?
    You can have that one for free.

Here’s another one for you, on the house:
    Gaunt’s Ghosts meets Men of War/Knights of the Old Republic/Mass Effect
    (it seems I have a one track mind when it comes to game concepts)

So in the ego-addled words of LesBoeuøf: JUST DO IT!
    Goodness are you folks, GW, shoveling out arse in truckloads.
    -some really cool stuff as well, though, more cool stuff please.

10. Kollega says:

And why not make an RPG about Nineteen Eighty-Four’s Thought Police while we’re at it? Same general idea, pretty much, but notably less dorky.

Earl-Grey says:

D-dor….dorky?
      You take that back right now!

• Kollega says:

NEVAAAAAARRRRRRR!!! *dramatic thunder*

Earl-Grey says:

Why I’ve never…!
          *huff*
          *puff*

Just wait until I find those Exterminatus request forms, you’re in for a bad day.

• Kollega says:

Good luck with that, my magnificently-moustachioed Imperial friend. You’re going to need it. *turns around and leaves*

11. Chaoslord AJ says:

I don’t know why everyone’s complaing. We had RTS (lots), RBS, FPS, so a nice Diablo-clone now?
    Ok, I’d rather have a triple-A multi-planet open-world Mass-Effect/Witcher/Skyrim/Fallout immersive first-person RPG set in 40k but who knows…

First expansion of the human empire, the discovery of chaos, the great brother war, there are so many cool settings to choose from…

12. Greg Wild says:

Y’know, my first thought was “man, they should really do something a little more cerebral – a party based RPG or an immersive sim or something”.

But really, when you get down to brass tacks, ultimately 40k’s characters are pretty much one dimensional power-fantasy facilitators. Yes, including Inquisitors. After all, the narrative would basically boil down to poking around a hive-world until your handler turns out to be a chaos worshiper or something equally par for the course.

ARPG sounds fine to me.

• Asurmen says:

Have you read any of the books involving Inquisitors?

• Renevent says:

Can’t imagine he has with that opinion. I haven’t read all the books myself but Eisenhorn, for instance, despite having a nice amount of action is actually an excellent read and does a wonderful job with it’s characters and they certainly aren’t one dimensional.

• Greg Wild says:

Nothing recent, honestly. I got bored of 40k’s literature probably over 10 years ago. It’s a fun setting, but undeniably trashy. I’d rather read some proper sci-fi.

• hungrycookpot says:

I agree that there is a lot of poor writing around 40k. I read a bunch of Gaunt’s Ghosts but could just never get into the series, the writing was imo quite poor for such a talked up book. But I read the Ravenor series and they were quite good, I could see how a party based Inquisitor game would work pretty well.

• Zekiel says:

I have now been constructing a plan for a Warhammer 40K version of Mass Effect (starring an Inquistor, obvs). It is glorious. It will never get made. It is a shame.

13. FlipMooMonkey says:

“In the grim, dark future, there is only way,”

War?

Also, I think Tzeentch has his claws in me, in the last dawn of war 3 news post i mentioned how they needed to make an inquisitor RPG, lo and behold news of one turns up the next day! Only it looks like it’s going to be an action rpg clickfest. :(

Damn you Great Manipulator! DAMN YOUSE ALL TO WARPZ!

14. Isometric says:

Let’s not call in an exterminatus just yet chaps…

• Bfox says:

Guys I found the Genestealer!

• Renevent says:

15. Danarchist says:

I would love to see a turn based version of 40K ala Shadowrun Returns, or more exciting like Xcom2. When one of your soldiers dies you could loot their corpse for the Gene seed and get a portion of their skills back.

16. kael13 says:

Can we not just get a proper Space Marine sequel? Is that so much to ask, Games Workshop!? All I want to do is smash orks with mah hamma.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I like FPS/TPS games along with RPG’s/action-RPG’s, so this might be the second Warhammer game I put on my someday-if-backlog-allows-it-list after Space Marine. Without playing Space Marine, I wouldn’t object to a sequel, because the first game seems pretty good.

17. Freud says:

It’s a terrible name, even if the plan is for franchise with several titles.

18. PancakeWizard says:

Well this is embarrassing….

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Flopper says:

How is it embarrassing? It’s a different studio. It could still be coming.

• PancakeWizard says:

You didn’t read my linked comment did you?

• PancakeWizard says:

To prevent a back and forth: Specifically in that comment I was wishing for a sci-fi ARPG and it appears I’m getting one (albeit a 40k one).

19. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

That’s quite a title, but they should have also put an “: Origins” or “: Revelations” in there to be more current.

Hammer says:

I don’t understand why they give so much of their IP rights to a board game company at the top of its game, who consistently churn out excellent products (barring FFG’s tendency to let spelling mistakes slip in), but keep handing our VG rights to anyone and their dog. Surely they’d be better off handing them to one of the big studios. CDProjektRed would be an obvious one if they weren’t doing Cyberpunk, but Obsidian could probably do a decent job on a WH RPG.

• thelastpointer says:

If they specifically wanted an ARPG, then Neocore is not exactly a bad choice. They did a decent job with Van Helsing, and other ARPG devs are too busy nurturing their own IPs.

21. Da5e says:

There isn’t enough crossover thrash about 40k.