Electronic Old Men: Warren Spector & Pals Play Deus Ex

Who run the world?

We shared our memories of Deus Ex on the seminal FPS-RPG’s 15th birthday in June, but who are we? Your best Internet pals, sure, but nobodies in the field of Deus Ex compared to director Warren Spector, its writer Sheldon Pacotti, and its lead programmer and assistant director Chris Norden. Nobodies. We’re baby birds in our gamenest with open beaks cheeping for them to nourish us. Which is exactly what they do in a new video, playing through the first fifty minutes of Deus Ex to celebrate the birthday.

Yes, they’re late, but I imagine electronic old men get tired and disoriented running the world.

Spector, Pacotti, and Norden take to Liberty Island to take down the terrorists, but how? Do they take the sniper rifle, GEP gun, or mini-crossbow? Are they sneaky or murderous? Do they let their stiff lips do the talking or their fists?

It’s been many years since they last visited Deus Ex, so they’re returning with plenty of memories to share from its making, how they hoped it’d be, and what they made of other people’s responses to it, while also rediscovering the game themselves.

If you dig this, you might also want to check out John Romero playing Doom.

1. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I thought that was going to say Jon Romero replaying Daikatana. Now that I’d love to watch

2. egg says:

They look DESPERATE!

YOUR TURN!

3. montorsi says:

Aww man, there’s really no going back, is there? I don’t know that I’d want to, really, but nostalgia is a powerful drug and all that. I’m not sure I’ll ever come across another game that is so universally considered the pinnacle of the form at release.

• ansionnach says:

Probably by people who hadn’t played Ultima Underworld from 1992. It’s still the pinnacle of the skill-based wide-open first-person dungeon (or something else) crawler.

4. Thurgret says:

Warren Spector. That’s the guy who made that Mickey game.

5. Jinarra says:

Finally, the true story of the 0451 code.

• DaViD_082 says:

True, but still the one „it´s based on Bradbury“ could be truth, because code to the LG office could be based on it… ;o)

6. RogerioFM says:

U..Unatco?

7. Shaftoe says:

Godamnit Warren Spector! (@6:03) That wasn’t ‘some website’. That was old man murray, perhaps the best gaming website that ever existed. And no, you shouldn’t be proud of TtC = 0, since they were mocking poor video game level design, obviously.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’m pretty sure War Inspector is aware that “time to crate” was not a compliment.

• Shaftoe says:

Yes i got the sarcasm – but everytime i hear WS talk, i feel a certain smarmy arrogance that sets me off. Maybe its just me. I mean, yes – Deus Ex was really amazing for its time and did pioneer a hell of alot of things, but no, everything wasn’t really great. Like the conversation about the tetris inventory. no, sorry, that was a bad design decision in retrospect.

8. Unclepauly says:

I guess sarcasm is hard to translate over video as well as text.

• Unclepauly says:

Yeah I hit the reply button to Shaftoe about time to crate. Thanks chat system.

9. Muzman says:

This was a little dull really, although probably fun for them. I was hoping they’d dig in to the writing and development more; the politics, the philosophy, conspiracy theories etc etc.

The ad hoc, non marketing tie-in System Shock anniversary playthrough is really the pinnacle for this kind of thing.