Private Quarters: Locked Doors Come To The Sims 4

A series of small walls.

The Sims 4 [official site] will now allow you to make some areas private thanks to a lockable doors update for the game. This happened a few days ago but my patch notes email alert failed to pick it up and is therefore a disgrace. You had ONE JOB.

Okay, so here’s what EA have to say about the update on their blog.

“After the release of The Sims 4 Get to Work* we heard the calls for employee-only rooms loud and clear, so we made sure to include that option. There are also more standard locks, like the ability to lock a door so only your Sim can get in, or being able to lock it for a household. If you’re tired of random Sims walking into your Sim’s room and taking a nap on their bed at 2:00AM, you’ll be able to prevent that with door locks. We’ve also added new gender-specific doors to the catalog, which open up some cool possibilities for improvements to some of the Venues in the game.”

Essentially it switches on a few possibilities if you want to gate access to any areas of the game which you control using particular parameters like employee status, residence and gender. The point about gender-specific doors is a curious one. I guess it’s intended to make the experience of some venues seem closer to reality, although I’d hesitate to definitively describe that as “improvements” given it would presumably require buying into certain assumptions about gender binaries which I suspect not all players do. I’d also say that gender-marked doors in real life aren’t the same as gender-gated doors in a game as the latter would need to apply an active enforcement of that binary. Unless they’ve done something particularly clever with the coding. I don’t think they have as the notes just list the item as “The King’s and Queen’s Door (allowing only just the men or women to pass through it)”

Half walls of varying heights are also included in the update. The idea there is to act as options for counter creation and room division. Or, I guess you could recreate the environment from your favourite cover shooter?

“The three medium heights give you a range of options for living room dividers, borders for stoves and counters, or eye-level spots to hold fancy decorations. They’re also a handy place to put your drink! We also added a low (1-1/2’ height) wall that works great as an architectural border piece, as well as a tall wall that can be used to make enclosed spaces within rooms, especially when using taller full-height walls. Half walls are super easy to place, too – if you’ve ever put a fence down in The Sims 4, you already know how to build a half wall.”

Looking at the update and the options, I’m thinking that locked doors and half walls would lend themselves to a recreation of the dorms in Orange is the New Black.

I’m also now watching this. A series of small walls.

1. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Archaeooeoeoeology

2. Minglefingler says:

I don’t see how the inclusion of gender gated doors as an option in a game which essentially functions as a dollhouse can be an issue. Unless I’m wrong the only alternative is using unisex toilets.

3. geldonyetich says:

Being able to restrict room access in Sims 4 is more important than you might think, thanks to the presence of mood-effecting props. It means you can keep your “inspired” artist sim from accidentally taking a wrong corner and ending up “focused” instead, ruining their artistic vibe.

That said, I think the real update we’re all looking for is the one that restores the ability of the client to simulate cells simultaneously. I know it must have made it a lot easier to manage the technical side of things, but this was a critical feature! Sims 4 will always feel like a lesser imitator of Sims 3 until they restore the ability to send one sim to the gym, one sim to the park, and still simulate the comings and goings at home all at the same time.

4. Ejia says:

Locks, gender-restricted doors, and half walls have been in The Sims at least since 2, the latter two being used in quite a few community lots. I’m glad that being able to lock doors is back – the “let only this sim in” option was quite useful.

5. vexis58 says:

A step in the right direction. Now if only we can have doors that auto-lock themselves to the current sim occupying the bathroom. I don’t really want to have to micromanage my locks to keep people from walking in on my sim while they’re on the toilet.

I am strangely tempted to fire up the game to create that apartment complex lot that this makes possible, though. It’s so annoying to have lots with more than two sims without having them sleep in each other’s beds all the time.

6. SuicideKing says:

Patch notes – Arma 3’s 1.48 patch/update dropped yesterday too.

7. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“The point about gender-specific doors is a curious one. I guess it’s intended to make the experience of some venues seem closer to reality.”

I don’t know, happens in bathrooms sometimes, without much need to overthink it!