WRC 5 Takes To The “Mythical” Roads Of Portugal

The first in-game video of WRC 5 [official site] promises to show us the “mythical roads of Portugal”. Sounds good to me. Rallying is my favourite type of real-world motorsport but I’ve always felt it could do with an injection of myth. Hoping to see coca rabicha racing through the dirt in pursuit of St George and his robo-rally-steed, I was slightly disappointed that WRC 5 doesn’t seem to contain any legendary creatures at all, region-specific or otherwise. More distressing still, there’s a distinct lack of dirt and grittiness to the track.

DiRT Rally, Codemasters’ Early Access mud ‘n’ motors game, has raised the bar. That’s not something I expected when it appeared seemingly out of the blue a few months ago but it’s already a fantastic game.

Next to it, WRC 5 looks clean, which is a damning criticism of any rally game. There’s no sense of the track churning or of the surface feeding back to the car. Rally cars are the opposite of a pet dog – the muddier and messier they get, the happier I am. These cars are not filthy enough for my liking.

Here’s what you’re seeing:

Made from the Beta version of the game, this video puts you in the gloves of the double World Champion and French driver, S├ębastien Ogier and his Volkswagen Polo R WRC, on the mythical roads of the Vodafone Rally de Portugal. It presents a full stage made of 90% gravel and 10% asphalt, under sunny conditions at mid-day.

Some elements are missing, including pacenotes and the HUD. The game will include 13 rallies, with all manner of terrain. No word on how many of the rallies are mythical. It’s due in Autumn.

1. Gothnak says:

The problem they have is that Dirt Rally is already what Rally fans have been clamoring for. It has the golden age of rallying covered, i went to the Somerset Stages rally recently and modern day Polos and Fiestas don’t match up to the monsters of the 80’s and even watching a Mark 1 Escort zoom by.

Also, in that video, the background hum of a cheering crowd felt really weird in the reasonably deserted stages.

2. Sarfrin says:

Demonstrating that you can’t always just plug in a different word from the thesaurus and have it mean the same thing.

3. Jason Moyer says:

That has to be the most boring rally stage I’ve ever seen. No uneven surfaces or elevation changes or camber changes, just one long sequence of corners of varying radii on a nearly flat road.

4. DrollRemark says:

I immediately loaded a DIRT video after that and yeah, this looks so much worse. Where is the bumping and twitching? The car looks way too easy to control.

5. eljueta says:

As a portuguese myself, I never realized that my roads were mythical.

6. fredc says:

The handling just looks weird to me. Perhaps I’m being unfair, but that looks like a car on an “irrigated” tarmac skidpan – no indication that the grip available is different at any point on that track or that the tyres are working to find grip.

7. vahnn says:

Well, they managed to make rally look boring.

8. Foosnark says:

Maybe I’m weird, but I like Monaco > Germany > Wales > Greece in Dirt Rally… I prefer the tracks that aren’t dirty. But even so, they all have a lot more character than this. This looked like a basic kart game with some dust rendered behind the wheels.

And I know it’s a beta, but that disembodied crowd noise was just weird.

9. SooSiaal says:

Meh, wrc games are like motogp games, it carries the name, and that is all that can be said about them…

10. Derty says:

You could fit like 3 cars wide on most of that track…

11. racccoon says:

Greece would of been cheaper :)

12. trjp says:

The WRC franchise has, of course, moved from Milestone (who make gaming-by-numbers titles with a tonne of copypasta features and a general air of unfinishedness) to Kylotonn (who has a history making what I can only describe as bargain-bin shite)

Here’s their history

link to kylotonngames.com

Most recently they released Motorcycle Club which is – well – it kinda sells itself on licensed bikes without mentioning that you change bikes ON THE FLY – it’s some sort of Super Hang-On arcadey thing which had a less than stellar reception.

Thus I have no great expectations for this – it will almost certainly be a massive turd – it may involved changing helmets mid-stage, even.