The RPS Bargain Bucket: Sunlight Sweet

Hello from surprisingly sunny London, which is looking absolutely lovely today, except for the fact I’m limping everywhere post-sparring session last night. But I’m hoping to visit Brixton Market today, regardless. If you have recommendations on what is good, or what should be avoided with extreme prejudice, I’d be totally happy to hear. This week’s plushie comes from rgk! As always, send me more, if you have any lying about!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
$31.36/£20.10/€28.95
It feels like only yesterday that I was making uncertain faces at The Witcher 3, unconvinced that I would appreciate the charms of its womanizing, gravelly-voiced protagonist. And you know what? I was wrong about him. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt’s combat may be flawed, the quests might not be all great, but it is wonderfully absorbing, nonetheless. Few games so thoroughly reward randomly skipping through a monster contract. (Then again, few games provide monster contracts to work with.)

Cities: Skyline – Deluxe Edition
$21.65/£13.88/€19.99
Cities Skylines is the game that SimCity should have been, as opposed to the juggernaut of design compromises that it was. (I’m told the game is doing better now, after a mountain of fixes.) If you haven’t checked out this city builder yet, it certainly bears inspection, especially after eager fans helped put together an absurd number of mods. (And by absurd, I do mean absurd. There’s an absolutely stunning number of mods in the workshop.) Charming, sweetly luminous, and surprisingly engrossing, it promises hours of fun to armchair city planners.

Saints Row IV: Game of the Century Edition
$7.49/£6.24/€6.92
Despite my best efforts, I never really got into Saints Row IV, and you might not either if you’re not a fan of over-the-top, neon-blooded games that will let you shoot people with guns that make them dance. Okay, who am I kidding? That sounds awesome, doesn’t it? Progressive enough to allow you to tailor the size of your male package, Saints Row IV, for those not in the know, is an open-world action adventure game that invites outrageous behaviour, while simultaneously asking you to fend off alien invasion as the one and only President of the United States. (That should say it all, no?)

Introversion Complete Pack
$7.49/£6.24/€6.92
Uplink was probably one of my first introductions to indie games, an introduction I’d forever be grateful for, as it is has brought me so much low-priced pleasure. (Say what you will about indie games, but they’ve generally got triple-A goods beaten on price.) I took a little longer to warm to the other titles, but they’re generally excellent as well. Don’t forget to add the GMGSUM-MERSAL-E20OFF.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game
$1.99/£1.53/€2.19
From what I’ve heard, Ghostbusters: The Video Game enjoyed considerable approval despite its flaws. Some even called it a decent use of the movie license, which is more than can be said about most game tie-ins. Although it won’t let you step into the shoes of the original cast itself, it will have you excitedly waving a proton pack at a menagerie of slimy, hideous, and wonderfully comical ghosts.

Also of note:

The Humble Book Bundle – Pay $15/£9.61/€13.85 for it all!
Although I’m usually the first to jump at new book bundles, I crinkled my nose at this press release. Kickstarted books? Sure. Over recent months, crowdfunding has left me deeply disillusioned, after seeing one too many projects fail to live up to expectations and others quietly dissolve like a bad smell. But this Book Bundle is a happy reminder that sometimes, things work out.

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag – $7.47/£4.79/€6.90
While the odious taste of the most recent Assassin’s Creed might have yet to leave our mouths, let’s not forget that the franchise has produced some admirable installments, including Black Flag, which seemed to have been universally adored. Set in the waters of the 18th century, it has players swanning about in pirate ships while trying to unravel the omnipresent Plot. Quite good fun, if you’re into nautical battles.

1. Chaz says:

I’ll wager that mop bucket has never been used to clean up so much as a drop of spilt milk, there’s not even a smudge of dirt on it.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’s the set some people use when their parents come sniffing about, perhaps.

2. james___uk says:

I played the Ghostbusters game when it came out on Xbox 360 and I thought it was genuinely good. It had the original cast doing voices (which is AWESOME so many years later, even if the story wasn’t amazing), the new weapons you get keep things interesting (they’re pretty neat and inventive), the gameplay is just good (I like it, makes you feel like a ghostbuster XD) and well, I’m a fan of the ghostbusters so it’s awesome in that respect too (even has some cool hidden details and you get to check out the old HQ)

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I got most of the way through it on 360 myself and it’s very well done. At the time people were suggesting it made a pretty good Ghostbusters 3. Now that they’re making Ghostbusters 3, let’s hope that that endeavour is as successful (if not more so).

• Jalan says:

No one’s making a Ghostbusters 3 just yet. Dan Aykroyd keeps pimping the notion of it but thus far, the only idea Hollywood has visibly clamped down on is the Paul Feig directed all female Ghostbusters film (which is currently filming, I believe).

Then there’s also an all male film, which isn’t “technically” Ghostbusters 3 – allegedly to feature Channing Tatum, which is also being tossed around. That one has seemingly entered a developmental limbo phase though and if the Feig film flops (and it could – and no, I’m not one of those “no females in title roles” types who stupidly boycott/get salty about the film but I do remember Feig’s film The Heat and how it went over like a Lead Balloon so if Spy was his hit afterward, the trend of a flop follow-up might befall his version of Ghostbusters), I wouldn’t be surprised if both the Aykroyd vision (even though he’ll never let it go – Bill Murray seemingly avoids it like the plague and with Ramis’ passing, it just doesn’t seem as “cool” as it once did) and the new all male film get snuffed out.

• thebigJ_A says:

They’re filming ghostbusters 3 right near my work, in Boston, as we speak. Traffic was all a mess last week. (It’s under a fake name, like all films, Ofc, but it’s open knowledge).

• Jalan says:

That’s Feig’s film, which is not Ghostbusters 3. It’s Ghostbusters, I’m not denying that. But it’s not Ghostbusters 3.

“Paul Feig, who also directed “Bridesmaids,” appeared on the Financial District set at approximately 7 p.m., clad in a suit.”

• thebigJ_A says:

I’m just confirming that it’s being filmed. Whether it’s got a 3 on the end is neither here nor there

• Jalan says:

A strange choice of wording then, you can understandably see how I might interpret it as you using article citation as a means to counter my claim that it isn’t the third film.

• welverin says:

I played it on PS3, and enjoyed it as well. Despite my complete and utter inability to aim with an analog stick, which made it a chore at times.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, that’s why I stopped playing on 360. I don’t know if I’ll ever get around to revisiting it on PC with so much else to play, but for $2 it’s worth making that a possibility.

• welverin says:

I’d say it’s worth going back and playing through all the way, especially at that price.

I’ve subsequently found some shooters aren’t that much of a chore to play with a pad.The demos for one of the CoD games and Bioshock weren’t bad, and I played through Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 with out too much of a struggle. Though I did have to turn the difficulty down.

• melnificent says:

There is a technical issue on the PC version with the screen going janky and shaking partway through stages until you get to a different area. Other than that it’s fun

3. aergistal says:

Lassie’s “What Makes You Tick” series, including both the short prologue and the commercial sequel “A Stich in Time” are free to download as they closed the store and stopped support. They’re point ‘n click adventure games in the style of the old Lucas Arts titles. Full spoken dialogue included.

Go check it out here: link to lassiegames.com

4. bungalowjoe says:

The Witcher 3 seems to be unavailable on Nuuvem now

• emotionengine says:

It’s available for $29.99 at link to greenmangaming.com (link probably only works if you are already logged in to GMG). The extra 20% off voucher can’t be applied, I think, but it’s still probably the cheapest you can get it right now. I think this comes as a GOG code, but not sure about that.

• Leucine says:

Err, I’m not sure how the folks in RPS feel about people discussing things like this so I’ll try to keep it vague. If you’re using the localised Nuuvem site then it doesn’t appear but there are… ways of getting around that. Doing so will allow you to purchase it.

• thebigJ_A says:

Ahem….
        Hola, mi amigo.

I said, HOLA.

(Honestly I don’t think they care though, or can even think why they would. I feel like I’ve read similar advice in these very articles before)

• malkav11 says:

Hola is apparently a security risk and probably should be avoided.

5. James says:

There is also a sale on at GOG.com. Pillars of Eternity is 33% off.

6. Ross Angus says:

Bundlestars are selling a Ship Simulator Extreme bundle for £2.75. I’ve no idea what it’s like. I just wanted an excuse to link to Quinns’s impressions article, which is hysterical.

7. welverin says:

I’ve backed a number of things on Kickstarter that weren’t video games and the only ones that had any real issues were a couple of RPGs. One went so far over it’s goal that all the additional content has taken a long time to produce, and the other was fairly early in development , which has taken longer than expected.

The comics I’ve backed have all gone quite well, and turned out well. Then again, I suspect it’s less likely known comic creators are going to have the same kind of difficulty produce a good product than a video game developer.

8. melnificent says:

The Crew is down to £12.49 on Steam and Uplay.
    It’s fallen from £50 before the Steam sale to £27 in the summer sale then got a new price of £25 before this current price drop. Ubisoft seem to be stepping their games down in price slowly as FC4 and Unity are down to £30 from a £50 just before the summer sale too.

9. Ryboflavin says:

Ooh almost everything in Brixton Village is good, but top tips are Casa Morita for Mexican (actually in neighbouring Market Row) and Honest Burger, queues in the latter can be a bit crazy though. Mama Lan’s good for dumplings too.

10. Jalan says:

Deadpool recently returned to Steam (and I presume other digital outlets). I’m sure this disappoints everyone who sat on their gift copies when it was pulled from sale thinking it was a golden egg that was eventually going to make them Steam rich.

• malkav11 says:

And they’re still charging $40 for it. Riiiight. Like that’s going to happen.

• Jalan says:

Yeah, but the fact that it’s available for purchase again means it’s possible it will get put in sales again as well. At least, until the film releases and potentially flops.

• malkav11 says:

Sure, but when they’re starting from $40 they have to put a much bigger discount on it before it starts approaching sane levels.