Death Whale: Crush Ships And Get Ahab In Pequod

Really good sunrises and sunsets, this game.

On one end of the Seriousness Scale of Games Inspired by Moby Dick, we have Nantuck, an upcoming series strategy gaming about managing whaling boats in the early nineteenth century. Breaching with thunder and fury far, far at the other end of the scale is Pequod [official site], a free Death Worm-ish game about god-whale named Mobias smashing the heck out of whaling boats and singing laserbeams.

I’m far too serious for such frivolity, of course, but must cover Pequod too lest readers accuse us of endorsing cruelty like punting geese off motorway bridges or mocking dogs to their stupid faces.

Pequod is a game about smashing ships. Dive down deep, rise in terrible fury, leap clear out the water and crash down upon the whale-hunting gits. Smash enough of them and the level’s boss will arrive, and then you can crush them too. It’s Death Worm-y fun.

Helping out with the smashing are a few roguelikelike flairs. Pickups can boost your stats, which include damage, magic damage, luck, and madness. Mobias can gain powers too, perhaps picking up a shield, the ability to summon damned souls from the drowned, or strapping a honking great laser gun onto his head. A shop sells bonuses too, in exchange for loot you’ll sometimes get from wrecking ships. And, obviously, waves and power-ups and all that are different each time. Eventually, you might be tough enough to take on Ahab himself aboard his ship the Pequod.

This paragraph is devoted to explaining how much I dig its glorious sunsets. I like them a lot.

Developers Bearmancer have released Pequod for Windows and Mac as a pay-what-you-want download with no minimum on Itch.

1. Beefenstein says:

This looks amazing and I would lick a nun to play it. If I like it I will pay some money AND lick a nun.

Phasma Felis says:

I would also lick a nun to play it. Hell, I’d just lick a nun. Does, uh, does anyone here have a nun? I just need one, man, just one and that’s it, I swear.

2. Dewal says:

Don’t know what are they planning to add to the gameplay, but the game already exists in flash :

link to whalegame.net

link to whalegame.net

Maybe not the same quality, but hey, it’s free !

• Bugamn says:

I thought the same when I read the description, but from watching the video I can see that they have added a lot actually.

3. fahrenheit451 says:

Luftwhalers, without the screenshake

• Monggerel says:

And without frame skip. It’s like these folks never played a spectacle brawler. Hitting something feels the same as not hitting something.

WHERE’S MY FUCKING DIVINE DRAGON AND REAL IMPACT HUH

For reference: check what it looks like when you hit something proper hard in Nuclear Throne (a game more comparable to Pequod than my example of DMC). It’s just a matter of feedback. Which this game lacks.

And I was just going to use some Mastodon lyrics right until I actually watched the video. Oh well.

• Syra says:

Yup, first thing i thought was it’s an upside down luftrausers. Without the weighty quality or the awesome soundtrack :<

4. Sarfrin says:

Moby Dick simulator? Yes please!

• vlonk says:

If it where a Moby Dick simulator it should actually never show the white whale. If I remember correctly he SPOILERS actually never shows in the books…

Phasma Felis says:

…For Cutie?

6. Mordio says:

There are two somewhat similar ( albeit without the whole items shenanigan ) flash games :