Rust Update: Female Models, Steam Inventory Items

This chap has a very dusty shoulder!

Female character models are now available in Rust [official site] (but only for server admins during the testing phase).

When the models do go fully live it won’t be as a “pick your avatar” option. Instead you’ll have a male or female avatar permanently assigned to your Steam ID. It’s the same deal with how race (or at least skin tone) is assigned in the game. Penis size also works that way but apparently that was serendipitous – the result of how skeletons are constructed for animation and the fact that one of these “bones” is the penis.

As developer Garry Newman says via the dev blog*:

“To clear up some confusion, when we it does go live you won’t get a choice of whether you’re female or male. We’re not ‘taking the choice away’ from you. You never had a choice. A man’s voice coming out of a woman’s body is no more weird than an 8 year-old boy’s voice coming out of a man’s body.”

This latest update has brought a number of other options too, including Steam Inventory integration. The items which are part of that system will be purely cosmetic, awarded to players based on playtime and won’t be charged for by the developers. At the moment it’s only giving you the option to earn (and thus craft) some of the clothing items but armour is up for consideration as part of that system. It might introduce a pay-to-win element hence caution but there are several upsides or mitigating factors (needing to harvest materials in order to use it, potentially losing the armour to another player, the blueprint being a likely early drop anyway…) so Facepunch are accepting player feedback on the idea.

Looking down the rest of the list we have chat about cars, bug fixing info, crossbow progression and all that other stuff. What I most liked the sound of, though, was the ambient sound management.

“This week I finally finished up the first real pass at weather-influenced ambience. You’ll hear rain hitting the tree leaves when it rains in the forest, and some days will be windier than others. Things like wind volume levels and the thresholds that we switch between different weather sounds will probably need a bit of tuning still, but I’m pretty happy with where we’re at so far.”

The number of sounds that are now in the game means the management system for which one plays at any given time is a bit wonky so reworking that is on the list for the coming week.

I’m not much into survival games – I’ll play them for adventures with friends but mostly I like exploring the worlds and anything with a thirst-ometer and potentially hostile other players gets in the way of that. But talk of trees and rain and weather always gets me excited.

It reminds me of the first time I appeared in Day-Z and the exhilarating moment where the scrubby plants and the beach reminded me of a part of the Kent coast I know so well.

*It is the same blog which former RPS writer Craig Pearson runs as part of his work on the game.

1. Niko says:

I’m getting more and more interested in playing Rust.

2. Villephox says:

Yeah, I have never really been interested in these sorts of games, but I’m tempted to try it just for the randomly assigned race/gender aspect. Not only is it an interesting idea, but it is bound to piss a lot of people off, therefore keeping those sorts of people away from the game itself. I can dig that.

• Distec says:

I mean, it’s just so terrible that people might want some control over their avatar’s appearance.

• australopithecus says:

It’s not terrible to have control over your avatar’s appearance. It’s not terrible not to, either.

• Niko says:

Why was I not surprised to see a “Comments by Distec blocked by you” here.

• Distec says:

Why am I not surprised to see somebody who allegedly has me blocked commenting on my posts? Check your self-restraint! :D

No, there’s nothing wrong with withholding character customization from players. You make your game how you want it to be. Now, I personally think that its implementation in Rust just seems like a way to get attention, but nothing worse beyond that. It makes me slightly less likely to purchase it, but that’s after multiple other factors.

I’ll definitely respond to dumb sentiments about how “well at least those people won’t play” that imply so many assumptions on other people.

Wisq says:

Yeah, I’m expecting this’ll be one of those hot topics that brings out a lot of “them”. I wonder if it’ll be more or less than the recent thread on CS:GO toxicity — that one was a treasure trove of new people to block.

• Distec says:

Nice to see that non-flaming discussions that might involve viewpoints you disagree with are good enough justification to get blocked and othered. I guess it’s a somewhat grounding experience to see the kind of myopic club mentality that permeates your average gaming board is still alive and well on RPS, despite all the francy dressins’.

• Synesthesia says:

haha, ditto!

• Distec says:

How’s that circlejerk going over there? I think the biscuit is up for a taste.

• jrodman says:

Regardless of what you believe, Distec, your presentation is not doing you any favors.

• Nogo says:

“non-flaming…myopic club mentality”

We’re not dumb. We can see the snark behind them fancy dressin’ words.

I’m doing it now!

• TheRealHankHill says:

Thanks for showing me that I should block you.

• Villephox says:

I absolutely love a really good character creator, but there are tons of games already in which you have no control over the character you play. Mario, Half-Life, CastleVania, etc. These kinds of games are just as common as games where you choose who to play. When you complain about being “forced” into playing a character this isn’t your race or gender identity, you’re saying that games should only be about a specific kind of person.

• aleander says:

I boycotted all the Half-Life games over not giving me voice customisation options.

• Distec says:

This has a qualitative difference in that there clearly is a working character creator under the hood; it’s just not available to the players. Rust isn’t assigning you some authored character or appearance, but potentially spitting out random numbers that you’ll have to live with for the rest of the product’s life. At least that’s my takeaway from the statement that this is tied to your SteamID. I don’t think it’s right to demand otherwise from the developer, but it’s not the audience’s failure if some people might not be particularly warm to the idea.

If I was in charge of Rust, it’s not a design call I’d make, is all. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• PancakeWizard says:

Many games you don’t, and this is one of those games.

This is an interesting experiment to me, pricesely because of this kind of thinking. It’s weird that it bothers people so much.

• Distec says:

See my above reply as to what makes this somewhat different. You aren’t “rolling” a Geralt or a Gordon Freeman.

As for why people are bothered by it… Well, I’m sure there’s a range of reasons, which go from bigoted sexist bullshit to something as completely innocuous as “I’d like my avatar to look like me”. Personally, my first character in any RPG or MMO is always some kind of extension of myself. On subsequent playthroughs, I usually always have a female character with a different personality who might make some substantially different choices as a form of role play. This is, in fact, a big selling point for a lot of these games. Now if Garry doesn’t want to indulge that, that’s absolutely fine. But it’s still a little bit of a headscratcher when what’s typically been considered a standard feature is withheld to further some kind of social experiment, as one other poster termed it.

What I don’t understand is why people somehow think these protestations are somehow strange or frightening as I read somebody on Gamasutra put it. They’re really not.

• PancakeWizard says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not implying that anyone who doesn’t like this is a bigot/sexist. I think that kind of labelling is just lazy. What I’m saying is, if the parameters of a game are ‘you can’t change this’, then that’s the parameters you play with.

You can wish it wasn’t so, but complaining about it to the devs as if they pissed all over your dreams is a bit much.

• nearly says:

I really don’t think it strikes women or people with dark-ish skin as all that weird. Just as it reveals a lot about the people who are upset about it, I think there’s a lot revealed about anyone surprised by the response.

Hopefully it leads to some deeper introspection, but of course there will always be the “I’m not racist / sexist, it’s just that I’m not playing as Gordon Freeman or Geralt of Rivia and if I’m not playing as them, I need to be a white male with average size penis length” crowd. Maybe it’s ungenerous on my part but I don’t imagine that type is going to think about it any deeper because they’re either not capable or aren’t being honest about their response in the first place.

• Distec says:

I’m pretty sure I read recently that female players are statistically more likely to care about customizing their character. Now, I take all statistics surrounding that wide-ranging topic with a grain of salt because I am not a statistician, have never pretended to be one, and I am never completely sure if the methodologies are sound. But I think chances are good that, yes, female and minority players might also find the lack of character customization to be weird.

Also, I think we’ve reached the crux of my issue here: That you seem to think that any negativity over this is “revealing” of… what? Bigotry? That those sexist/racist/privileged folks can’t just admit that they don’t like this because they are being dishonest about their prejudice? I’m very sorry if that is indeed not what you’re saying, but I am having trouble parsing anything else out of it. I agree that you are being ungenerous.

If a straight white male with a penis wants to play as a straight white male with a penis, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• nearly says:

I am utterly unsurprised by your response. Feeling a wee bit defensive? I’m not sure why you take issue with the idea that feeling a certain way about a certain thing (and expressing / responding in a certain way) is revealing of what kind of person you are, particularly if you are or aren’t upset about said certain thing.

Some games let you choose what your character looks like: others don’t. Did you boot up Half-Life 2 and respond to the opening address with “it’s really bizarre that I didn’t get to decide whether or not Gordon has a goatee”? If you’re spending time being upset about one characteristic of your character (that is, if your character’s skin tone is the sole thing preventing you from saying “hey, that fella looks a lot like me”), then you really ought to do some reflecting about why that is the straw breaking the camel’s back and why it’s such a big deal in the first place. I would hazard a guess that your Rust character does not look very much like you, regardless of skin tone or sex or sexual orientation. The player avatar is only meant to represent the player inasmuch as it is the player’s sole means of interacting with the world.

Nobody has said it’s wrong to want to play as a straight white male with an average penis length (and thank you for bringing sexual orientation into this, because that’s also quite revealing) but needing to tell everyone that you can’t play the game because it might not portray your player character as a straight white male with an average penis length indicates that maybe you have some other issues going on. Continuing to justify your desire to play a character that is a straight white male with an average penis length to anyone talking about an entirely different subset of players (unless you’re intending all of this to reveal that you are indeed upset about this despite trying quite dearly to present yourself as not upset) further indicates that maybe this is a much bigger deal to you than it necessarily should be, in which case you’re either capable of self-reflection or you’re being dishonest about what the issue is.

Honestly, it seems like you have a particularly nasty case of “they’re trying to take our games away from us”; games were never just for straight white males with average penis lengths, even if they sometimes seemed to be exclusively about such people, and won’t ever be. That’s okay, there’s nothing wrong with that. Not all games are about straight white males with average penis length and, for most players, this is one of those games.

• Villephox says:

Seems quite defensive. What I really like about all of this is watching people bend over backwards trying to explain how their dislike of this feature is not racist and/or sexist. This sort of thing really shouldn’t matter. It shouldn’t be an issue. The fact that characters are randomized and permanent is important precisely because people are getting upset about it.

And what’s crazy is that the people complaining that they just want to make a character that looks like them probably don’t realize that that’s what a lot of gamers want, but can’t get. Oftentimes, in games with customizable characters, it’s very difficult to create a character that isn’t white.This is one game in which you have no choice about your skin color or gender. Get over it.

I think what it really boils down to is that some people get to be white men, but they don’t.

• Devan says:

I’m honestly surprised at the amount of racism controversy in this thread. I’ve never played Rust but I have paid some attention to it over its development, and it seems to me like the kind of game you’d want character customization in, at least for the people who like character customization.

It’s disingenuous and even harmful to dismiss everyone who disagrees with a randomized unchangeable avatar feature as being racist or sexist. Customization is a valuable feature to many gamers, especially within the open-world, sandbox, and multiplayer genres. It’s perfectly reasonable to lose interest in a game that announces it won’t have a feature you were anticipating.

It’s also ridiculous to assume that detractors were planning to make their avatars white males (or to assume that they are white males IRL). False accusations of racism won’t help racism go away.

• Villephox says:

If you’ve been following the game, you have to have seen the controversy that erupted when they did the randomized race thing. Race is a central topic when it comes to character creation and this game. For a lot of people that are consistently made to play characters that look nothing like them, this sort of feature is a sort of poetic justice.

And you’re right to say that wanting character customization isn’t inherently racist or sexist, but given the larger conversation surrounding this game in particular, this is a feature that has upset racists and is sure to upset sexists. You don’t always get to look how you want in games, even sandbox ones. Rust is just doing it a little differently, and I fully support that because I support things that upset racists.

• Distec says:

It should come as zero fucking surprise that people might get defensive when they are accused of being bigots. Particularly when they, y’know, aren’t. I am absolutely right to resent it, and I’m sorry that you quite clearly don’t get enough pushback on this crap if this is indeed what you express elsewhere.

Apparently me even arguing against the abjectly stupid notion that people don’t like Rust’s implementation of character customization (or lack thereof) because they are closet racists implicates me as well. Throw in a fucking Gamergate reference and it’s par for the course. I guess we’re in the same boat in one regard; Your response doesn’t surprise me either. Despite my hope, it’s pretty much what I expected And yet I am still incredibly disappointed. Tut tut.

I am not upset at Rust or the developers for restricting their character creation system. It’s an annoyance, but I’ve already said I wouldn’t be buying the game for other reasons (namely; survival sandbox isn’t my gig and it’s early access). I am upset at idiot armchair psychologists who think they can divine the racist motives of other people on the internet based on *whistle words* and *key phrases* or *argumentative tone*.

There is a difference. You should try understanding it. Because one is a problem with the game and the other is a problem with you and anybody who thinks like you.

• Juan Carlo says:

You guys are missing out on the most provocative reveal in the article: characters have penis bones. Like chipmunks. Truly that’s something we can all get behind, right?

• TheRealHankHill says:

I like how you are completely disregarding the major balancing issues that their system brings up. As it stands groins and heads are the two highest damage hit boxes in the game, size of those is random so plenty of people will be at a major disadvantage balance wise compared to others. This isn’t touching on the fact that it is impossible to see rust players with dark skin at night in this game. Sorry that I like games to be balanced. You are attacking him as if you know what he wants and you don’t in the least bit. For all you know he wants to be a woman bc he feels most comfortable as that in a game. Quit calling people bigots and getting butthurt when they respond, troll.

• Nest says:

RUST: the game where everyone is a something-something trapped in a somethingelse-somethingelse’s body. An anarchic post-apocalyptic survival game where everyone is Trans.

• Shaftoe says:

While your comment has generated a fuckton of posts explaining in detail why most people might think that most people complaining about randomized, locked gender/race are probably bigots, perhaps including you, perhaps not, I’ll just:

link to steamcommunity.com

link to steamcommunity.com

link to steamcommunity.com

So yes, everyone who questions the design decision is not necessarily a bigot, but personally I feel that the correlation is high enough I dont mind assuming someone is if it comes up.

• Nest says:

As long as you can style your head-hair and pubic hair and get tattoos and customize you clothes, it’s fine. Otherwise garbage.

3. RedViv says:

A great moment in Walk A Mile In Our Shoes gaming history.

• Villephox says:

Not only that, but I can imagine that there are going to be a lot of people running around having to explain to everyone that even though they look like women, they are actually men. Just imagine a world in which your body does not conform to your gender identity. It’s insane, I tell you!

• RedViv says:

It’s such a sneaky way to conduct our glorious social justice war.

• coldvvvave says:

People who are unhappy with their character roll will kill themselves until they spawn as whatever they wanted.

• James says:

Good thing it isn’t random then :D

• pepperfez says:

I look forward to the stories of people starting multiple Steam accounts to get the character they want.

• ScubaMonster says:

It’s permanently tied to your Steam ID. The only way to get a new character is to create a new Steam account and buy the game all over again.

• Synesthesia says:

Activate Protocol Omega. My pass phrase is: “Thanks Obama”

• Shaftoe says:

I immediately thought of this when I saw the news:

link to venturebros.wikia.com

but the sad truth is its going to be mostly pre-pubescent teens that can’t keep their voices from cracking as they talk smack. Ah if only life were as good as my imagination!

4. karthink says:

I’m assuming the female avatars will start off nude too? The Internet being what it is, I think there’s going to be another storm in a cup when this happens.

• Villephox says:

I would absolutely hope that that would be the case. If there is no reason to censor the male avatars, there is no reason to censor the female ones.

• SuicideKing says:

Pretty much. And I think the randomization is important for thwarting any…unwanted behaviour. Though obviously you could just shoot the other virtual character.

• joa says:

Well I think this is rather unbalanced – if one sees a naked woman, it takes one’s mind off the task at hand, to say the least. If one sees a naked man, it is just mildly gross.

5. wengart says:

I’m not really interested in Rust. It seems like DayZ: Part Two.

However, I’m kinda disappointed that your character is assigned to your steam id. I think it would be a lot more fun if it was random each time your character spawned without you knowing when you spawned.

6. Petuko says:

I don’t even care about Rust but forcibly and permanently assigning a gender to players is um. rather gross. I deal with enough of that shit in my own life thanks x.x

Wisq says:

Because nobody ever forcibly assigns women gamers to play as male characters, right? Or even vice versa in some games, albeit much less commonly.

• TechnicalBen says:

And this game in no way forces women gamers to play as men?

• Villephox says:

It does. It also does something crazy: it treats everyone equally. Everyone, no matter who they are, gets an avatar at random. And I think that is the important thing.

• anHorse says:

It’s all a bit Harrison Bergeron though, isn’t it?

Sacrifice of player agency for the sake of equality is not in of itself a good thing

• Villephox says:

What agency is sacrificed here? You still get to run around and build stuff and kill people and eat cats or whatever these sorts of games do. You are still free to play the game in any way you like, within the limits of the game. You just don’t get to choose what race/sex you are. You can’t choose what you look like, and that’s it. That’s how it is in The Witcher and countless other games. Except this time, there’s inherent diversity.

Also, you can just choose not to play the game and make a character that looks sorta like you in Dragon Age or whatnot, provided you don’t look too non-white. This game doesn’t have to offer that feature. Women and people of color constantly have to play characters in games that look nothing like them. This one game randomizing physical features isn’t the end of the world.

• TechnicalBen says:

Other games treat everyone equally as well. They make everyone play as character X or make everyone choose their own character traits.

This is a new mechanic. It’s an interesting game. But just as art can have the colour green or blue in the paint, I don’t see how this is objectively “better” than the other options. It is less stereotypical, but sadly I don’t see it as solving most of the problems.

• Villephox says:

I certainly don’t see this as a better option, but I do see it as an interesting one, especially for the conversations it is promoting. But it’s wrong to think that other games treat everyone equally. When the player has no choice over the character, that character is disproportionately white and male-identified. When a female character is an option, that character is almost always sexualized(ie Blizzard’s Overwatch). When you can choose physical character traits, those traits are often slanted as white and male-identified as well. Creating a non-white character is never very easy, and female body shapes and armor styles are typically ridiculous. On the other hand, a game that randomly chooses some traits for you and send you on your way, regardless of who you are, is refreshing.

7. aleander says:

The game seems like a very interesting social experiment to witness from a distance.

I mean, I actually applaud the ideas. But personally I’d rather play with literal fire.

8. JamesTheNumberless says:

Good idea when you have a system that can populate a world with a diverse array of avatars, but where every character is player controlled. It would be a shame to end up with a world full of archetypical choices rather than an even distribution, which is almost certainly what would happen if everyone could fully customize their character’s height/weight/sex/colour/etc. Embrace your inner-midget-albino-man-with-giant-dick, etc

9. Foosnark says:

Dysphoria Simulator 2015!

10. Cederic says:

So I can’t experience the game twice, as female and male avatars? I can’t switch race? I may end up with features I dislike, and that cause an in-game reaction to me that I just can’t be bothered with?

No thank you.

• Villephox says:

From what I understand about this game, you never get to see your character. It’s always first-person. It’s always you, on the inside, no matter what you look like on the outside.

• RedViv says:

You do see yourself in the inventory screen, but that’s 0.1% of the time spent in the game anyway.

• Villephox says:

I actually just noticed than when I looked at the screenshots on Steam. I’m really tempted to try this out now, but I’m still not sure that this is my sort of game.

11. anHorse says:

Rust is a big old sandbox, with all the usual survival grinding right?

In those types of games I’d much rather have choice over my character if I’m gonna have to watch them do mundane stuff for the majority of my time.
    Of course if it’s first person I couldn’t care either way.

In principle the idea of every single player in an online game having a unique avatar is interesting but that usually emerges organically.

This seems like a move designed to get headlines from interested journalists rather than to do anything which actually improves/diversifies the experience for players.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Is diversity in the population really an emergent property of MMOs though? From what I’ve seen there are a fairly narrow range of choices people typically make from what’s available when you take fantasy races out of the equation.

When it comes to human avatars people either make idealized versions of themselves, or comically silly ones, or ones that fit an archetype or stereotype of what they want to role-play. Lots of fairly average, imperfect, and awkward looking avatars is not what you commonly end up with.

What they’re suggesting is something seldom (if at all) seen in MMOs and therefore it would a uniqueness to it that’s worth commenting on. I don’t think anyone is suggesting this is somehow better than being able to generate your own character. It’s a significant deviation from the normal format and will be interesting to see how, if at all, it affects how people play and how they rate the game.

But I wouldn’t be so cynical as to say this was done only to gather press interest, if I were one of the people responsible for the procedural avatar system I’d be chuffed to bits that it was going to be used to its full potential.

12. Geebs says:

That’s super-interesting, although it would be a bummer if you end up with a character that looks exactly like Pol Pot or something.

I’m not sure I see this as being popular with the Persistently Unfinished Griefing Simulator crowd, though. I expect they might express a bit of outrage over the whole “I already paid for this” thing.

• thecommoncold says:

True, but think of all the fun opportunities for irony. You could play Pol Pot as a nice guy. Or even a capitalist, if you are feeling especially daring!

13. spacein_vader says:

If you read back through some of the recent devblogs Garry talks about the reasoning. The end goal is to have people be able to tell who someone is by looking at them, and then to remove the name text that floats above them when you get close enough. For that to work peoples physical features need to stay the same.

14. melnificent says:

Having got my body and gender identity into alignment I’m finding this update putting me off playing more than anything. Unless there is a long and arduous pathway to be able to correct the ingame gender. With added crap thrown at you along the way for no reason… Just like real life.

• Villephox says:

I see it as a way, perhaps, for some to have to suddenly see things from a different angle.If they think it’s bad being forced to play a game that makes them play a character that doesn’t conform to their gender identity, maybe they’ll that to realize what it could be like having to live like that? Maybe? One can hope, at least.

• wisnoskij says:

“being forced to play a game that makes them play a character that doesn’t conform to their gender identity, maybe they’ll that to realize what it could be like having to live like that?”

You realize, as the article goes out of the way to emphasis, this random uncontrollable gender and race makes the game like 99% of all games that have ever existed. Everyone who reads this site is guaranteed to have played enough games to have spend loads of time playing as a girl, a boy, a black person, an alien, an generic blob, etcetera.

And 100% of non-assholes don’t give a damn about playing these different identities, not playing yourself in your life is actually a large amount of the point of gaming.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Other games don’t have randomized hitbox size that give people advantages or skintones that are impossible to see at night. Balance is more important, this was a good idea but without fixed hotbox sizes or fixing the skin tones it just doesn’t work for a survival game. Yeah I’m an asshole for caring about balance in multiplayer survival games and clearly must not empathize with the plight of dysphoria. You got us all figured out!

15. Devan says:

As a developer, I feel that at least part of the motivation for this decision is that it is a big chunk of work to make a large-scale, high quality character customization UI (not just the sliders and such, but the dynamic updating and display). Features like that are just a major time investment.

16. Synesthesia says:

the steamId thing on this game is a stroke of genius. I’ve seen some pretty cool stories crop up with just the skin colour already. Might just buy this to support the guy.

17. jrodman says:

Well, I have to say this is a more creative way to “stir up controversey” to get attention on your game than the last six or seven attempts I’ve seen.

I mean, maybe that isn’t even the goal, but from Garry’s history, I think it is. I also don’t think it’s purely trolling the users though, but I do think it’s intended as provocative.

And hey, I’ve gotten more entertainment from the choice than most games that I would never ever play.

18. wisnoskij says:

Personally I hate the character customization phase of games. But it is important to have everyone not look the same. So this really seems like an ideal solution.

19. Daemoroth says:

Seems like little more than a publicity stunt to put gamers into an ‘us vs them’ mindset, and a perfect opportunity to pat all those who agree with your opinion on the back and tell each other how right you are, regardless. Sad really to see how easily people who share a hobby are split by such a trivial thing.

Resounding ‘meh’ is all I can contribute.

20. El_Emmental says:

I understand the point Garry is trying to make, it’s a rather amusing one.

Oh it ruffled some feathers, but that’s not what we’re looking for with a game we’re going to actually play – if we want to start some drama with a group that we see as intolerant or bigoted, we can just drop by one of their watering pond and troll a bit to see the fire rise. But what’s the point in that?

Assuming we’re more or less adults here, unless we’re feeling a bit immature (nothing wrong with that if it’s only occasional), that kind of stuff shouldn’t a major part of our life. I’m being sincere now. Being publicly angry at the Evil in this world is not something that will either change it or help us build our life.

We’re practically all against wars and famine and diseases, but most of us went past our own teenager crisis to finally accept that these things are complex issues that needs maturity and strong personal responsibility (that includes self-control and endurance) to be adequately handled.

You don’t face famines by sending a few tons of rice once, using a bunch of cargo planes, you face it through continent-wide agricultural reforms and political agreements on natural resources (such as water). The same applies to intolerance toward people of different gender/sexual orientation/skin color: making intolerant people angry is not going to fix anything at all, it’s only going to make *us* feel better, through artificially set-up schadenfreude.

So no, I don’t think we should want something simply because it makes some people angry or frustrated. Two wrongs don’t make a right, and I don’t think spreading more anger and frustration is ever going to diminish the one felt by people discriminated for their gender, skin color, sexual orientation or views on life.

What we should look for is interesting experiences, something that we can’t get elsewhere, something new. For us. Because it’s not up to us to decide what other people want, no matter if they are racist or gay, or both. Way too often I see people trying to justify their opinions and actions by hiding behind the challenges faced by other less-fortunate people.

Some comments here seem to enjoy the idea that players will be forced to roleplay as a character that does not fit their own identity “ha ha! finally you’ll see what it’s like to have gender dysphoria!”, completely ignoring the fact that not all transgender people share the same view on gender dysphoria: some people manage to turn it into an actively positive aspect of their own identity and think it can be (or is) an enriching experience, some people simply don’t see it as a positive experience and only want to minimize the effects their biological sex has on their gender.

Wishing someone to experience, against their will, gender dysphoria is extremely problematic for a lot of transgender people – just like a lot of people living with disabilities would never ever wish anyone to experience living with a disability, even if they learned to build happiness in their lives over their disabilities, even if they wish people would understand better what it means to live that way.

It’s a very dangerous and extremely disrespectful thing to exploit transgenderism (or any other characteristics resulting in difficulties in living a peaceful life in a society), to only satisfy one’s own desire for petty moral revenge against our personal evils. Schadenfreude does not justify exploitation.

That being said, the random character thing could be a very good idea, resulting in funny situations and actual role-playing. Adding haircut and clothes customization could greatly help players build their own character, balancing the fact that players won’t be able to customize their body characteristics.

But I think it would be funnier and more interesting if the SteamID fixed character would change every 6 months, allowing people to build new stories/personalities, and try something new every once in a while. At the end of the game’s life, avid Rust players would have a gallery of different characters, all with their own story and tales. And you know, diversity.

keithzg says:

Well in fairness, right now all characters are male, but when this change goes in slightly more than half will be female, so at least some degree of changing-the-fixed-character *is* going to take place (curious to see if it’s a universal re-roll when they do, or if they just use the same seed with a gender flip).

• TheRealHankHill says:

I like the idea of changing bi-annually. What if you roll a character with a big head and big danger? Two high damage hitboxes that you are stuck with forever while Johnny over there has an advantage? No thanks.

• TheRealHankHill says:

That’s “a big donger” (groins still have same dmg values as heads I think)

• joa says:

Get some perspective. This is not real life – it is not forcing anyone into a different body, or to have gender disphoria – you are just playing a different gender character, in a video game.

21. Ninifu says:

As a female player, i have been waiting for so long for a good survival game with female charakters except Day-Z. Meanwhile I regard it as discriminating females that we dont get a chance to play as our own gender. There are always just male charakters and i was so happy to hear Rust will be done differently. I just hope so much that the gender will be depend on the gender of the steam-account, otherwise… thank you for nothing… -.-” (sorry for my bad english)