Skyblivion! Gawp At The Skyrim Remake Of Oblivion

SKYBLIVION!

Skyblivion! Graham contends that Skywind has the best name of old Elder Scrolls games being remade in Skyrim, but the Oblivion remake feels more fun on the tongue to me. Skyblivion! Remaking a land that took a whole professional studio to build the first time around is no mean feat, but the modders behind Skywind and Skyblivion [official site] are still working away.

Recent videos show many, many minutes of progress on Skyblivion, trotting around the province of Cyrodiil, leaping into Oblivion gates, and pottering about the Shivering Isles. It looks a lot like Oblivion but in Skyrim, which is sort of the goal of the whole thing. Skyblivion!

Here’s Cyrodiil as it stood a week ago:

Have a gander at the Shivering Isles, Oblivion, and Camoran’s Paradise too:

Check the videos’ YouTube descriptions if you want to see a big long list of all the mods being used there. You can also gawp at videos showing off weapons, female armour, and male armour.

I’ve played an awful lot of Oblivion and Skyrim at separate unhappy points in my life. I wouldn’t say I like the games, but they sure do soak up as much time as you want to dump into them. Happy days. This is going somewhere: I much prefered Oblivion’s forests to Skyrim’s dull heath. Throwing thirty mods at Skyrim made it far more forested, but this seems a whole lot easier.

Like Skywind, Skyblivion is still in development with no release date.

1. MrFinnishDude says:

Skyrim’s modding scene is a natural wonder. One that should be in history books and classes in the centuries to come.

• Monggerel says:

Yes, especially the infinite number of creepy virtual sex dolls glaring on the frontpage of Nexusmods.
      Since fucking Oblivion. Through Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

There’s a game called Polymorphous Perversity. I’m reminded of it right now.

• SomeDuder says:

Better Bodies (read: nude bodies of the female races) was a thing back in Morrowind too. I should know, since Im a masterlevel pervert in modding these games with nude skin replacements, the ability to murder children and various other filth that no self-respecting Christian gaming mom would ever want to get involved with.

• log1932 says:

Wow, that was totally radical.

Still, being a self-respecting white Christian male, I prefer to avoid pointless and lore-unfriendly mods. Nudity? No matter how hard the modders work, the animated models still look like automatons, or maybe animated corpses. Killing kids? I’m not wasting time for such trifles, when there are Boethiah cultists waiting to be slaugthered.

Above all, the supposedly ‘mature’ mods are just a distraction from the real stuff: Frostfall, Realistic Needs & Diseases, More Interesting NPCs, and so on.

X_kot says:

I don’t have a strong opinion about nude mods (don’t use them myself), but the ability to kill NPCs regardless of status is a peculiar one to me. I really appreciated the fact that you could murder a child in Fallout 1 and have to suffer the consequences for it. Then Bethesda got their hands on the franchise and created a den of immortal kids, i.e., Little Lamplight, which took a cool idea (children banding together to survive in the wasteland) and then sanitized it to such an extent that the game undermined the point of the concept. Modding FO3 to make them vulnerable makes sense to me.

However, children don’t play an important thematic role in the Elder Scrolls, so their invincibility has little bearing on the games’ meaning. Plenty of NPCs can’t be killed due to plot reasons. Sure, that can be changed, but there’s no in-game justification for doing so.

• machineageproductions says:

There’s plans to put it in the history books. But it’s under development with no release date announced.

• Xzi says:

Hey now, there are some rather questionable/slowly developing mods out there, but let’s not forget that there are also a lot of GREAT mods which are already complete out there as well. Everything from gameplay to more interesting NPCs/quests to entire expansions and new areas.

2. caff says:

Stuff these main game crossovers, what I want is an expansion pack mash up.

Shivering Knights of the Nine Tribunal Dawnborn Dragonbloodhearthfiremoonisles.

• DrScuttles says:

Pre order to receive a free copy of Battleredspireguard Online now!!

• Ianuarius says:

I think you mean Skyvering Skyghts of the Skyne Skybunal Skyborn Skygonbloodskyhearthskyfireskymoskyoskyniskysskylessky

3. Thurgret says:

I would pay full price for Bethesda just to remake Morrowind and update it to 2015 standards. Dragonborn went some way to recreating parts of Morrowind’s general feel, at least (and I should go play it again).

Still, I’ll give these two a try if they’re ever completed.

Harlander says:

How about Daggerfall at the same level of detail as Morrowind across the entire playable area? If they start now it should be out just in time for Summer 3076!

• caff says:

I played Morrowind “so hard” my character just ended up as this floating, flying leaf. I could jump incredibly high and just float along to my destinations. At least, that’s what I can remember of it.

It’s the only ridiculously big game I’ve loved so much that I pretty much explored the entire map twice.

4. montorsi says:

This might be a good time to mention the incomparable Mod Organizer, which lets you set up different profiles so you can easily switch between a Total Conversion mod and your normal mod setup for the base Skyrim game.

That aside, I remain immensely amazed by the modding communities that spring up around our various RPG developers. I’m going to have to give this Skyblivion a go at some point in the near future.

5. XhomeB says:

Considering Oblivion was a ludicrously flawed, boring POS of a game, “remaking” it sounds like a total waste of someone’s time.
    On the other hand, considering how copy-pasted the world in that game feels, maybe there’s not that much work involved after all.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, Oblivion takes the word lackluster to new lows.

But if you ever need to counterbalance the rah-rah press for an upcoming Bethesda game, just go watch the Todd Howard puff pieces about the wonders that would be instituted in Oblivion. Ugh.

• Phier says:

Yea I gotta agree. Oblivion was a snore fest, but for those who never played Morrowind or Daggerfall, that was their “first” so they got a thing for it.

Phasma Felis says:

You hear that, everybody? Oblivion isn’t fun! Stop enjoying it immediately!

• SomeDuder says:

Hey, someone’s got to educate the unwashed masses. If we be that someone, so much the better.

But yea, I agree with the above. Oblivion is such a boring, standard fantasy “here be swords, elves, magic and a few demons, all set in a standard green fairytale-like environment. We’re keeping the dragons for the next game, but enjoy!”

zigguratvertigo says:

Again impressive and, as with previous examples of what it is that these people do, again about as much a game as is interactive tax return filing, just without the interactive bit. Perhaps if they ever decide to buckle down and do Dear Esther in the Skyrim engine, they’ll have something resembling the original, but this is an exercise in iterative self-justification and I can’t say I think it justifies them all that well.

7. Papageno says:

Seems a bit weird to see scenes from Oblivion while listening to the Skyrim music (or am I wrong?–I had the radio going in the background).

8. malkav11 says:

This seems like a much more worthwhile project than Skywind. Morrowind is the better game by far than Oblivion, of course, but part of what makes it special are a suite of mechanics that have been removed from Skyrim, only some of which can be returned. And with all the beautifying mods out there you can get it to look very nice indeed. Oblivion, by contrast, does retain a few mechanics from Morrowind that don’t make it all the way to Skyrim, but nothing all that amazing, and as technically impressive as the engine was at the time, it’s aged poorly and has weird quirks that make it not nearly as rescuable by modding (like the potato-face people). And some of its new mechanics are downright bad. But there’s some good questing to be had there, especially with the Dark Brotherhood and the Shivering Isles, so that’s worth rescuing.

• RanDomino says:

The potato-faced people are fixed link to nexusmods.com?

• malkav11 says:

That link isn’t loading for me, but if it’s a link to a Better Faces mod I’ve seen those and they’re an improvement but still don’t look right. It’s something inherently weird about the engine, I think.

• LionsPhil says:

Oblivion’s faces were totally realistic.

• thecommoncold says:

This seems on point to me. Both Morrowind and Oblivion are, mechanically speaking, crap. But in MW the mechanics were loose enough to be a launching pad for crazy antics (“more emergent”, and all that). Oblivion is basically a polished turd – which, in this case, is actually worse because you get all the shit mechanics toned down only just enough as to disallow the best antics.

It’s my opinion that Skyrim is a great step forward in terms of mechanical cleanliness over both MW and Oblivion. It obviously can’t recapture the “emergence” of the zany Morrowind mechanics, but compared to Oblivion it’s a strict upgrade (minus the loss of spell crafting… sigh…). But yes, I’m all for this.

• ffordesoon says:

I agree. Oblivion is interesting in that it’s a very good game which happens to contain within its core mechanics some of the worst RPG design choices ever. Morrowind is the last iteration of “classic” TES design, whereas Oblivion’s design is an embryonic version of the “new” TES formula that Skyrim did far better on almost all counts. Putting Skyrim’s mechanics in Oblivion seems to me an inarguably positive change, because Oblivion’s biggest issues are mechanical ones which Skyrim solved (more or less). Skywind is both a tougher and more conceptually dubious prospect, because Morrowind had a different design ethos and was created for a different audience.

Or, put another way, I can imagine going back to vanilla Morrowind after Skywind comes out. I can’t imagine going back to vanilla Oblivion after Skyblivion comes out.

Even so, good luck to both teams.

9. PancakeWizard says:

I get the appeal of going for Morrowind and Oblivion, and they both look great…but call me when they do Daggerfall. That’ll take some artistic license and no mistake, and give us something we haven’t really seen before.

• Geebs says:

They’ll get done for copyright by Cubby Broccoli’s estate if they make it

10. FriendGaru says:

These porting projects are certainly interesting from a technical angle, but has one ever actually reached a completed state? Not just a release, but a release that’s fully playable and actually contains a majority of the content of the original?

• malkav11 says:

I think the Morrowind-into-Oblivion (Morroblivion) mod is supposedly pretty advanced at this point. Although in my estimation it’s also kind of pointless since if you’re that dead set against playing with Morrowind’s original mechanics, Skyrim’s engine et al are superior.

11. dangrak says:

Seems to really change the scale of Oblivion with the higher detail and all.

12. Ejia says:

Skyrodiil.

There’s still the issue of Skyrim being vastly more streamlined than I’d like. I suppose my inner masochistic min-maxer simply liked trying for efficient levelling in Morrowind and Oblivion.

13. SomeDuder says:

So what’s next? Skyrim remake of Skyrim? Skyrim redone in Arena?

• FroshKiller says:

Arena had several million square miles of random area. Odds are that Skyrim already lies within it.

14. Holysheep says:

This will be forgotten fast.
    Many people want to improve the graphical quality of Morrowind because it’s one of the best games there ever was. Oblivion however? Please. It marks the start of when Bethesda started fucking up licenses.

Oblivion is the start of unbearable, extremely bad, unpractical UIs that fit a console controller need.

Oblivion is the game that’ll start the linear, stupid dungeon model “enter from here, then whole dungeon’s a corridor, find a key on the last guy, escape at the end” which we will then find in fallout, skyrim, etc.

Oblivion marks the end of a ton of different schools of magic, and a variety of different types of weaponry and armors. No more spears, making argonians useless along with the lack of complex dungeons that sometimes had underwater parts, for instance.

Along with the destruction of variety when it comes to spells and weapons, gameplay itself was HIGHLY dumbed down, I think mostly of the disappearance of spells that allow you to fly, because of the new linear dungeons, and extremely stupid cities with just a front door. Remember balmora? You could sneak in as a criminal, or fly into it. Can you do it in the new bethesda model of cities?

Other ridiculous things are the fact that the engine is now one they’ve been pushing to the max since 2002 (Yes, morrowind used an earlier version of gamebryo and “creation engine” is still gamebryo.) … just because of the archaeological specs of “new gen” console hardware, they keep forcing it on an utterly outdated, stupid engine, to a point not only the graphics, but also the gameplay itself cannot evolve. (We have to get rid of the cell model TES uses) … other console based limitations are, say, dual wielding without parrying and such (because controllers only have a few triggers) and the likes.
    Let’s also mention the problems that engine have had with multi threading over the years, and how broken it goes when tweaked a bit beyond what it normally does.

And the hilariously ridiculous, shameful tricks devs at bethesda have to use to fight the incredibly bad, ancient limitations of the engine, such as making subway cars work… as hat for a very fast NPC:

The list goes on: in an attempt to orient the TES license to consoles, Bethesda utterly broke it, and that started with oblivion. There’s no chance I’ll play a remake of Oblivion.

There are other problems, even, like the destruction of the lore in skyrim by pushing it 200 years later, hoping they can get more players like that. And just many other things in general.

Do make morrowind in a variety of different engines, though. I’ll play it.