Sneak-O-Bangs! Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 Gameplay Vid

Bored snipers often scout around spying on boys. The most highly-skilled snipers can throw their voices to the others, and hold a conversation by reading lips through their scope.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 [official site] is the third in the FPS series, but the first that developers CI Games are making as a “full-fledged triple-A title”. The first two face-shooters were a bit cheap and cheerful, see. So what’s so different about 3? You can have a peek for yourself, as a new 24-minute narrated gameplay trailer the devs playing through the demo they took to E3.

In short, it’s now a big open-world affair with side-quests (or ‘war crimes’ as CI have decided is a cute name for them) and crafting and everything, and looks a lot less janky.

I’ll recap a bit for folks not into watching. So! You have an open world with missions and side-quests on your mission to shoot men through the face and/or torso. You’ll need to sneak out from your hidden bases (which you can fast travel between) to find your murdertargets, and have a Magic Eyes power like in Batman: Arkham or Assassin’s Creed to help pick up things like enemy tracks and mines. The reliance on Magic Eyes seems excessive in this demo. You get a drone friend to help scout people too. Your targets will have their own routines, and might travel all over the world over the span of a few days, so you can study them and take your sweet time if you want to do a real cool murder. As open-world FPSs will nowadays, it has a crafting system for weapons and gadgets, and your skills with specific weapons improves through practise.

You sneak around a lot and shoot people, in short. It seems to offer a lot of guidance, but CI say the game lets folks ignore all the advice and do as they please. It’s wildly unrealistic, between the Magic Eyes and Magic Enemy Tagging and whatnot, but does still look to push caution and tactical awareness, which’ll do for me.

Ghost Warrior 3’s plot is some questionable current affairs fanfic. You’re an American sniper operating illegally inside Georgia as Russia have crossed into the country and enslaved Georgians to build a uranium enrichment plant for them in secret. Well then!

No word on a release date yet.

1. Jason Moyer says:

Icon hunter, military edition.

2. Terragot says:

I saw an abundance of mechanics being demo’d in that video, but nothing new that inspires me to play.

It’s an odd one, I can certainly understand borrowing from Ubisoft’s design catalogue. It’s easily digestible, easy to understand, easy to jump in and start having fun without having to learn a load of new design conceits. So I appreciate that, the less of a barrier between me starting and having fun, the better. The problem is, I’ve done all this stuff, and in almost identical fashion.

I’ve tagged targets in Far Cry 3, I’ve flown drones in some COD or another, I’ve climb the terrain in Assassin’s Creed, I’ve certainly done enough tracking in the Witcher 3 to last a lifetime.

I guess criticism without providing a potential solution is weightless, but I think my problem isn’t the fact their borrowing design solutions (everyone does) but that it’s design solutions that have been used so much that I’m a bit exhausted from experiencing them.

Perhaps they could have borrowed from Receiver or the like? There’s plenty new ground to be trodden around simulating the deep intricacies of a firearm. Especially as this is a game that’s main focus is on one type of firearm.

Bah, It looks great, just a little tired? I don’t know what I expect when their probably investing a large sum into something, I guess they have to play to familiarities.

• KenTWOu says:

The problem is Far Cry 3 had very distinctive art design, it was basically red enemies over green grass, that’s why you could easily play the game without tagging enemies. But it seems like you can’t play SGW3 without tagging, cause everything looks the same and all enemies are long-sighted, because it’s a sniper game. That’s why in FC3 you’re avoiding enemies and feeling stealthy when you’re playing the game, meanwhile in SGW3 you’re avoiding detection arrows. It’s not cool. Not cool at all. Almost everything is highlighted in SGW3 because of its realistic visual style. That said, thermal vision, night vision weapon attachments could improve the situation a little bit, but they didn’t show them for some reason.

Serrit says:

“I’ll recap a bit for folks not into watching.”

4. RaoulDuke says:

You wrote “enrichment enrichment” near the end of the article, unless they are actually enriching it again after they have enriched the uranium. That is a weird story.

• dsch says:

Surely it means you want to enrich the enrichment the uranium already receive, as in making it get better enrichment, not just more enrichment?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Rich people always want to get richer, no matter how rich they already are.

5. Synesthesia says:

Mh, so, open world, but you can only rest your weapon on pre-ordained rocks? That doesn’t sound too hot. The rifle sounds like a bb gun too. Not really into this one.

6. xcession says:

“Granade” – eesh, hope the rest is better than their spelling.

JiminyJickers says:

I’m looking forward to EXTREME!!-navigating things like a fence!!!!

I played the previous ones but they were just very okay-ish. This one definitely looks better so far, but will definitely wait for a big discount, like I did with the previous ones.

8. dsch says:

Even as someone who plays snipers more-or-less exclusively when given the choice, I can’t see any appeal in this at all.

9. tonicer says:

Nice low fov low fps gamepad gameplay video. xD

Those and more are already lots of reasons not to buy this … this … thing.

• KenTWOu says:

Well, it’s pre-alpha version, that’s why at least low fps is understandable.

10. grimdanfango says:

Having played ARMA, it niggles me that a game specifically about sniping seems to involve closing to 100-200m to take the shot every time. Any old rifle would do the job at that range. The whole point of being a marksman is to stay a bare minimum of half a kilometer away!

11. stoner says:

I enjoy the sniper games (Sniper Elite, SE V2, SE 3) and the role of the sniper in FPS (BF2, BF3, BF4, CoD, etc), and a couple in this series. Heck, I’m currently playing Skyrim for the first time and I’ve leveled-up my Archery skills to the max and have maxed-out, non-mod bows and arrows.

However, the game mechanics of Ghost Warrior 3 annoy me. I can use a drone which highlights bad guys and small, hidden traps? And looking at a footprint, I can tell it’s military, and a sniper? What else?…he listens to Justin Bieber and what he ate for breakfast? Finally, the short ranges that others have mentioned.

Bottom line: this is an arcade game. Yeah, I know it’s not supposed to be a “simulator”. But really??? Jeesh!

12. Wurstwaffel says:

I know we’re supposed to be cynical here but I think this looks super dope.
    The climbing looks good and I like the whole atmosphere of sneaking through a stormy night, sitting down and doing the snipey thing. I don’t care if it’s particularly realistic as long as it feels authentic.

13. Cortes says:

I’m very interesting this game. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 looks very good on this gameplay. Maybe now I can’t say too much about it but I hope CI Games do everything to create triple A game beacuse I have big expectation for this game.