Twist Twist Stick – Hex: Shards Of Fate’s Third Set Out

You'll meet an army of me.

What’s a CCG without ongoing expansions? Another stack of brightly-coloured boxes to sit beneath a big “SALE!” on a shelf behind the counter at your local tabletop games shop, waiting to surprise folks who didn’t realise so many of the were ever even made. The ’90s were a wild time, you guys. Anyway, the point is: Hex: Shards of Fate [official site] has received its third card set.

The ‘Armies of Myth’ expansion brings 250 new cards to the free-to-play virtual CCG, including several new card abilities and a new card type.

The official word on those new abilities is that Prophecy “allows players to embellish cards still in their decks with bonuses” while Shift “can transfer one card’s powers to another” and Allegiance “gives players bonuses as long as they have played or are holding cards of a specific race”. I do like that Hex seems to pull a lot of tricks that’d be either messy or impossible to do with physical cards.

Alongside the expansion, developers Hex Entertainment dropped a sizeable new patch also adding two-factor authentication, a new tournament mode, and more.

Card-flicker Ben took a look at Hex for us a few weeks back, drawing a lot of comparisons to dear old Magic: The Gathering. “For better and worse, it’s deeper than anything else in the genre,” he said of Hex. “If you’ve ever enjoyed a Duels game, it’s the best version of that there’s been, at least until Wizards’ own free to play version appears later this month.” Ben’s had a look at that now too.

1. jasta85 says:

A lot of people were calling Hex a magic clone (and it definitely is similar in a lot of ways) but with gem slotting, equipment, lots of unique card effects (including combining cards together to form new cards that don’t otherwise exist) as well as the PvE aspect of the game, Hex is definitely showing off how a digital TCG can vastly improve on the original formula, I’m quite enjoying it although I mostly just do draft these days.

• Scurra says:

I’m not sure that “improve” is necessarily the right word to use here. Certainly it increases the design space considerably (Magic is already pressing at the boundaries of the non-digital area already), but that doesn’t automatically improve things – indeed, it risks making things worse if the designers/developers aren’t properly prepared. On the other hand, a wholly digital format means that mistakes can be dealt with more easily too…

• hennedo says:

Is that a commentary on Hex in particular or a general defense of the merits of physical card games?

• malkav11 says:

Improve is definitely the right word to use so far. I mean, sure, there’s definitely room to balls it up in future, but so far every game of Hex I’ve played has let me play cards in ways that produce cool, powerful feeling effects and I’ve almost never had a session where I felt definitively unable to achieve victory. Generally, even though I’ve lost almost every PvP game of Hex I’ve played, there have been moments where I had the upper hand, and if I’d just managed to sustain it a little longer, would have won. I get those things from Magic sometimes, but not nearly as consistently.

2. Hunchback says:

Have they changed the business model tho?

• Dawngreeter says:

Not really. It seems to still be firmly in that “games to play instead of buying a car” category that Magic dominates.

• Winged Nazgul says:

It does have a similar business model to MTG but the bonuses and base prices give you way more bang for your buck. It also has a thriving auction house which lets those of a profiteering bent get even more value from their investment.

3. Disgruntled Goat says:

What does “Twist Twist Stick” mean? Is that a British thing?