Pirouette! Footwork! Murderise! New Witcher 3 Finishers

Stop: murdertime.

With the hearty patch 1.07 out the door, CD Projekt RED are getting back to business as usual with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site] – issuing small items of DLC and working on the expansion packs. Today is Wednesday so another freebie has arrived, and this week’s DLC is very much business as usual for a witcher – killing the heck out of stuff.

The fifteenth and penultimate free DLC doodad for Witcher 3 is a set of extra finisher animations for Geralt to murder people in gruesome new ways.

Download the DLC in the usual ways (yes, I know that’s from an earlier lot) if you fancy it. The new animations seem heavy on dismemberment, going by this video the bloodthirsty lot at GameSpot whipped together:

One final piece of free DLC is due next Wednesday. “We plan to end on a high note”, CD Projekt RED have tweeted. Beyond that, we’ll be waiting for those expansions.

The first expansion is due in October, and is focused on the city of Oxenfurt. You might remember a line in one quest hinting that Geralt’s medic pal Shani from the first game might be kicking around there, and yes, I do believe that’s her friendly little face poking out some artwork for Steam page. See you in a few months, Shani.

1. YogSo says:

Jus a small little correction, if I may: Shani is human, not elf.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Oh gosh, so she is. She’s so classically elven – pixie cut, green dress – I’d always thought….

• Jediben says:

Such blatant racism. Shameful!

• Grim_22 says:

There is no shame in this – I also always assumed she was elven, and I’ve read all 7 books. It’s just never mentioned anywhere specifically, and she looks so… elven. It does become clear if you pay attention to a single line in the first game, which I noticed in my fourth or so playthrough.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I think her elfiness is part of what appealed to me in the first Witcher. She has a real Merrill vibe going (and despite all the problems with DA2, Merrill was awesome). It always bummed me out that she got cast aside in The Witcher 2.

2. ludicrous_pedagogy says:

I’m sorry but as someone who has appreciated gory games since MoonStone on the Amiga, I do find the “all-or-nothing” approach nowadays quite annoying. It’s like every NPC is a blood filled mushroom ready to burst, or they’re made of un-chippable stone. And it seems not quite in character – he’s a rogue-ish guy, not a barbarian right? In that trailer it looks like Geralt is the Mountain from Game of Thrones – chopping people in half all the time! Can Geralt do that to a horse by any chance?

I much prefer the old Jedi Knight dismemberment that happened quite infrequency but when it did it was cool. Too much just spoils the broth!

• Neutrino says:

Well said.

• Lokik says:

I absolutely love those finishers, but you can turn off them off if you dislike them. I don’t really see the problem though as it’s not like every enemy you fight gets dismembered, that video is just a showcase for the new possible ones.

• vahnn says:

True, that was a big thing with Soldier of Fortune back in the day. “26 different ways for people to die horrible depending on where you shoot them!” Before an hour has gone by, you’ve seen them all and then the game’s key selling point is old hat. Plus gore in future games is just… meh.

I really don’t think it’s too over-the-top in Witcher 3, though. Then again I play with manual finishers mode and don’t always use the finishers.

• empty_other says:

And it seems not quite in character ā€“ heā€™s a rogue-ish guy, not a barbarian right? In that trailer it looks like Geralt is the Mountain from Game of Thrones ā€“ chopping people in half all the time! Can Geralt do that to a horse by any chance?
      I’ve only read the first 3 books so far, but a horse? Probably.

Their swords are wicked sharp and they are trained to kill monsters. So whenever Geralt fight humans in the books, it has so far ended in overkill. Remember the tavern fight early in the game? Thats more or less how Geralts first fight went after he left the witcher school; the maiden in distress more afraid and disgusted than thankful.

• hungrycookpot says:

Yes, but Geralt is genetically enhanced with super strength and agility. He was made to kill creatures many times larger and harder than himself, so I imagine his strength is somewhat like a much larger man like the Mountain.

3. amitfid999 says:

I love the book quote in the title. great article good job :)

4. Spacewalk says:

Looks a bit more deadly than the old guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, Ha! thrust.

5. SuicideKing says:

Wow if that’s the default level of gore I may not be able to play the game ever. :/

I’m much happier shooting bullets from afar…

6. TheAngriestHobo says:

I’d really like a clever modder to replace Geralt’s boring old fighting pirouettes with graceful ballet pirouettes. In fact, replace all his combat animations with ballet animations. And replace the word “sword” with the word “shoes” whenever it comes up dialogue.

• Crafter says:

Damn you !
      Now I need to play to that mod !

• Geebs says:

….and instead of real-time beard growth, Geralt could prematurely develop crippling arthritis.

• phlebas says:

Meanwhile if they could just start by photoshopping the sword out of that top screenshot it’d be a great dance scene.

7. AriochRN says:

Why are some of those people changing into other people when separated into different pieces?

• Zaraf says:

My thoughts exactly

• hungrycookpot says:

The game isn’t perfect it’s true. It takes a lot more technical wizardry to simulate one semi-solid body separating into multiple smaller entities, it’s easier to just erase the bigger one and replace it with two smaller sections.

8. CookPassBabtridge says:

Why can’t Geralt just leave slightly-camp Medieval Captain America alone?

• Lomaxx says:

Thank you. I was about to state the similarity myself a couple of hours ago. And “Medieval Captain America” would haven been part of my word-choice as well. But then i thought: “well, let’s see if someone else writes it too.” :D

9. karthink says:

0:21 Geralt finishes someone so hard he becomes a different person.

10. carewolf says:

Skipping that. The finishers were fucking retarded. If you were in a the middle of a larger fight you could see the fight continue around you as you did your silly finisher, except for all the enemies that was about to attack you who then stops in the middle of what they are doing and waits for you to finish your silliness.

• hungrycookpot says:

If you saw a genetic freak chop your friend in half with a backhanded stroke, we’d probably all have to stop for a second and rethink the battle plan.

11. bleeters says:

Ok, cool. New finishers, proper dlc on the way. Sure. But when do I get to see Iorveth? I miss my elven murderer bro. Every time I fight a random bunch of bandits and hear his voice actor, I feel taunted :C

12. bill says:

I’ve never read a book with more pirouettes.. ;-)