Espionage Expansion: Endless Legend – Shadows

Every faction in Endless Legend [official site] feels like it required as much playtesting and balancing as some entire strategy games. There are eight major factions in all, from the Necrophages, who devour those they meet rather than engaging in diplomacy, to the Cultists of the Eternal End who cannot create new settlements of their own but can convert those that they conquer.

Amplitude have just announced an expansion, Endless Legend: Shadows, that adds a new faction – The Forgotten. They’re experts in espionage but the new spying and stealth features will be available to other factions as well.

Amplitude have some of the prettiest art in the business so new trailers are always welcome.

There aren’t many details about The Forgotten yet, other than what you hear in the video, but Amplitude have released information about the major features of the expansion.

Play the brand new faction, the Forgotten, expert in the new espionage skills
Play with invisible units using the new “Camouflage” and “Stealth” capacities
Infiltrate an empire to steal, capture and sabotage
Pillage villages, extractors and watchtowers to slow your enemy’s progression
Equip your heroes with “Scope” accessories to give them special espionage abilities
Defend yourself by using counter-espionage skills and the new “Detection” capacity

We chose Amplitude’s strategy masterpiece as our favourite game of 2014 and will be meeting with members of the team at Gamescom in a couple of weeks to find out what else they’re working on.

1. Villephox says:

Sounds like it could be interesting. Can’t wait to see (or not see, I guess) the new units.

2. raiders says:

Looks like I finally have a reason to get back to that game.

3. Zenicetus says:

I like the addition of stealth and espionage to the game. Not sure about this new faction though. If they’re city builders like most of the other factions, then that doesn’t seem too stealthy. Maybe their cities are cloaked, or something.

Also, I wish it wasn’t another humanoid faction. There are already enough of those (this will be the fourth one). I would like to see more alien-ish and weird factions like the Necros and Broken Lords, but maybe this isn’t the last faction expansion in the works.

4. hennedo says:

Awesome! Love that game. Glad to see the cool additions.

5. ChairmanYang says:

I wish I could enjoy Endless Legend. It’s a bunch of high-quality components that should be right up my alley–asymmetric and well-developed factions, interesting lore, rich gameplay mechanics, beautiful graphics and production values–but somehow the whole thing fails to grab me, and feels pretty boring to actually play.

It’s hard to identify the fundamental problem. Any ideas?

• draglikepull says:

I’ve also not really been able to get into the game despite it seeming like something I should love. I think a big part of the problem for me is that there’s way too much focus on military. I like how the battles play out, but there’s just *so much* focus on units, even at the very beginning of the game.

It seems like every 4X game other than Civ tries to shift the focus more heavily into the military side of things, so for people like me who find eXplore and eXpand more interesting than eXterminate, new twists on the Civ formula always feel a bit disappointing, even if they’re technically well-made (as Endless Legend clearly is).

• AngoraFish says:

This

• vahnn says:

Have you tried playing as Vaulters, Roving Clans, or Drakkan? Those factions can easily blast to science, economic, or diplomatic victories, respectively, quite easily with a couple defensive armies. Especially the Vaulters.

But I do get what you’re saying and somewhat agree#

• Darkz0r says:

Well I’m not sure why you can’t get into it if you enjoy similar games, to me Endless Legend is a fucking masterpiece, but I have a few suggestions:
      -Try playing it when you have time (2-3 hours +++);
      -Keep more than 1 savegame;
      -Take your time, design your units, equip your guys, try covering all sides if you get invaded…don’t over explore;
      -Trading is a good idea! So are alliances;
      -Remember to make armies;
      -Manually play most battles so you understand combat system (took me a while);
      -Learn to place cities where it matters, upgrading districts, etc;

I think the learning curve is a little higher than Civ but its totally worth it. Each faction is VERY UNIQUE and it’s very satisfying once you start to dominate things…and even when you lose cities and get them back.

• Morgilily says:

For me, Endless Legend is a potential masterpiece that falls flat because of the bad AI.

It’s so frustrating to have a game that could have been fantastic, but instead it’s boring and hollow due to having a terrible AI.

6. Zenicetus says:

Maybe it’s the faction AI? In most other 4X games (the good ones, at least), there is usually some tension in the early to mid-game, where I have to watch my back and face some threats while expanding.

The AI in Endless Legend often doesn’t feel threatening enough, at least at the intermediate difficulty settings where they don’t get huge bonuses to spam armies. The AI also isn’t good at cooperating to gang up on a stronger AI faction, or a strong player faction that’s starting to dominate the map.

I haven’t played a serious game in a while though, and I know they’re continuing to work on AI improvements.

teije says:

Enjoyed this earlier and glad to see they continue to add depth to the game. Will definitely try it out. Only thing I don’t like very much is the tactical combat – feels clumsy (much prefer how AoW does it).

8. Stupoider says:

Easily one of my favourite games ever, I love the lore and design behind each of the factions and it’s an excellent slice of 4X gameplay. Really looking forward to this and any future games or expansions Amplitude releases.

9. RogerioFM says:

That’s some very impressive voice acting.

10. brotherthree says:

Hopefully the 64-bit bug was fixed… I couldn’t play unless I switched to the 32-bit version, or if I did I was guaranteed to crash a few dozen turns in.

Hopefully…

11. Dawngreeter says:

I don’t play this game enough. I have no idea what the problem is, but so far I have started a new campaign with Vaulters a total of four times. Maybe five, I can’t remember. Then I play for a while. Then I realize I could be doing better. Then I stop playing. And then a couple months later, I start a new game. Repeat.

What the hell is wrong with me.

• Potocobe says:

You have perfectionist syndrome? You’ve played so many games you see the writing on the wall before you see the wall? Strategy games need a freaking undo button. This same thing happens to me sometimes, especially with new games, and I always put it down and come back to it again much later so it can be fresh again although I remember what I learned about playing the game last time.

This happened most especially with Path of Exile. I bounced off of that game so hard I put it down for about a year during the closed beta way back when. I just could not understand wtf was going wrong with what I was doing but I was clearly doing it wrong. I’ve since figured it out and probably have 4-500 hours into it over the years. I am by no means great or good even at PoE but I have a lot more fun playing it now.

• Ejmir says:

That’s because in this game, there is always good choices and bad choices. If you pick the good ones, you win, if you don’t you loose. Once you found the good routine with each specific you’ll always win, no matter the difficulty, and you won’t need to restart your games.

That’s why you feel the need to restart your games : poor game design.

12. Heliocentric says:

Does this look like the Shadow of Mordor boxart to anyone else? I honestly thought this was a SoM sequel when I scrolled down.

13. Ejmir says:

This game is the perfect example of bad roleplay.

I really wanted to like this game, because is has an awesome atmosphere and art. But you only play with numbers, columns of numbers. The “stories” are always the same, with no real choices, and with no real interest (basically the texts are useless because you only have to build/kill/find something or achieve the correct amount of numbers somewhere).

That’s boring. There is nothing good in plain numbers. Combat is also boring because it’s only about numbers. Economy = numbers = boring. Diplomacy = numbers = boring.
    When I play a fantasy game I don’t want numbers, I want heroes that do heroic things, I want to feel the culture of my people, and not only through numbers. Ressources should not be numbers. There should be a myriad of different units. It should not feel mathematical. Conquering should not follow always the same schema. It should feel legendary and almost historical, with events that forge nations and unexpected twists. There should not be a perfect way to play each faction. I should feel my people evolve, it should not be told to me through purely narrative events and plain numbers.

For me, Amplitude is good at doing Sci Fi games (where numbers everywhere actually make sense) and I’m expecting much from Endless Space 2, but Endless Legend is a huge failure, because it is boring and only superficially immersive. As the gameplay is extremely repetitive (yes, the different factions are different from each other. But there is only one perfect path per faction, and once you’ve done it the is no reason to do it again.)