Developing: Life Is Strange Episode 4 Next Week

Crumbs. The third episode of Life Is Strange [official site] was something else, wasn’t it? The episodic adventures of a time-travelling teen found their stride with some solid puzzling, nice stretches of teens hanging out, and a cliffhanger ending that knocked the wind out of me. I’d enjoyed the game before, but now I am so very keen for the next episode to arrive. Thankfully the wait’s almost over, as official word has come that it’ll launch next Tuesday, July 28th.

A trailer’s here to tease a little too, and it’s obviously a bit spoiler-y – as is the rest of this post. If all you want to know is when Episode 4 will come out, stop reading here.

Episode 4 is titled The Dark Room, which sounds like both a photography reference and a literal place. It would continue its Twin Peaks (or Deadly Premonition, if you will) twinge to be a magical metaphysical zone. I’m not going to watch this trailer to find out, though, as I’d like to keep it a surprise and this job makes it real hard to not finding out everything about a game before it launches. I barely skimmed this here official description too:

“Max realizes that changing the past can lead to painful consequences and that time is not a great healer. Her investigation into the disappearance of Rachel Amber begins to reach a thrilling conclusion as she finds the Dark Room. Will the answers lie within? Or will there just be trouble?”

And here’s your trailer:

Pip, Adam, and I got together to for a chat after Episode 3, reacting to the surprise of saving Chloe’s dad and then hitting the real cliffhanger ending, plus wanking on a bit about Warren and speculating on The Future. Marsh has also taken a look at Life Is Strange, or more specifically its time-travel, in his Fail Forward video series, and Quinns took a gander himself too after Episode 2 in his own Cogwatch video.

I am very excited for this.

1. Robert Post's Child says:

Hooray! I’ve been really enjoying this so far, super excited to see where they’re going with it.

The New Yorker had an article this week about how the Northwest is basically screwed because of eventual earthquake/tsunami, so between that and the crazy tornado in LiS, seems like Oregon can’t catch a break at the moment.

2. montorsi says:

I just began working on episode 2! I usually wait till episodic games are complete but I’ve been waiting months and months, and I liked the first episode quite a bit. Maybe I’ll be able to shoot straight through to 4 after I’m done with the third.

• battles_atlas says:

I worried for my continuing interest at the start of ep2. The cliches come a little thick and fast in the first two episodes, in places felt less like a believable world and more like a strung-together list of reference points. But by ep3 I think it had really found its feet. Actively looking forward to 4 now.

3. somnolentsurfer says:

Yay! I’ve been refreshing the Dontnod twitter feed every half hour for the last three weeks thinking it must be due soon.

4. Frings says:

So excited for this – even though I was pretty mad at Episode 2 (somewhat “irrationally”, but still), this game is quite the thing.
    The end of episode 3 had me quirking an eyebrow at them – let’s see how they go about the last twist they introduced.

It’s good that despite really liking the game, I don’t feel “overhyped” about it – which is to say, I’m always genuinely excited and interested in seeing what they do with the next episode, and for when it comes out, but I don’t really feel like I have many (if any) expectations. (Which is what I try to do with other things, as the lower the expectations, the less chance to be disappointed. However this time it feels related to how the marketing of the game is so chill. I don’t know. Thinky thoughts for later.)

5. SirBryghtside says:

Oooh, that trailer is really interesting – looks like we’re finally getting some answers :)

I think what I want more than anything else with this game is for there to not be a second season. The Telltale games I’ve played all seemed somewhat bogged down by the need to reduce work on the next seasons by making the endings all relatively similar, but I really feel like this game could do with an actual ending at the end of the week, with all our mad choices being seen as valid.

• RabbitIslandHermit says:

Dontnod said that if they made a second season it would have a completely different cast of characters a la True Detective, interestingly enough.

6. rabbit says:

I love this series. It’s clearly been made with such care and affection. I like it far far far far more than Walking Dead S2. Up in the air RE S1.