Well Duh: Rise Of The Tomb Raider Coming To PC

Remember how Square Enix were fannying about with Rise of the Tomb Raider [official site], playing tedious word games and falling silent to pretend that their neck-impaling sequel would be an Xbox exclusive when clearly it wouldn’t? You’ll never guess what: it is coming to PC after all!

Well, the word games aren’t quite over – it may or may not be exclusive to Windows 10 (more below). But yes, “early 2016” is when it’ll come our way. As I’ve been dutifully ignoring the game until Squeenix stopped playing around, I suppose now’s the time for me to flood you with details and gameplay trailers.

Square Enix say RotTR “will be available for Windows 10 and Steam in early 2016” which might be them saying it’ll be exclusive to Windows 10, or alternatively them saying it’ll be on sale through the Windows 10 app store and Steam. Don’t sharpen your ice axes just yet. I’ll shoot them a line.

Anyway, here’s what Squeenix have to say about the game:

“Now, after uncovering an ancient mystery, Lara must explore the most treacherous and remote regions of Siberia to find the secret of immortality before a ruthless organization known as Trinity. Lara must use her wits and survival skills, form new alliances, and ultimately embrace her destiny as the Tomb Raider.”

Here’s the “gameplay reveal” trailer from E3 in June:

And here’s a gameplay demo from E3 showing Lara engaged in a spot of ice climbing/falling:

At least we’re getting a better deal than PlayStation folk, who’ll need to wait a whole year after its November debut on Xbox .

1. Xzi says:

NO WAY! /Sarcasm. So now we need to start taking bets on how much DLC it’s going to have and how long we’ll have to wait to buy the complete game for a reasonable price.

• sweenish says:

I think it’s worth saying that there only one extra piece of DLC that would have been considered necessary in the first game. Everything else was for the DOA multiplayer, or could be unlocked by playing the game.

• KenTWOu says:

That tomb, those Lara’s outfits and that pistol silencer… Yeah, I know that the last one unlocks an existing upgrade from the get-go. But normally you’ll get it almost at the end of the game and Lara looks so cool with the silenced pistol. Still feel guilty, though, because of buying an official cheat and a pack of textures.

2. ohms says:

Pshhh. I can wait.

3. mattevansc3 says:

Maybe (unlikely) but when SE are saying Steam they might be referring to SteamOS.

• Laak says:

highly unlikely

• Janichsan says:

Not necessarily. SE has quite good relations to Feral Interactive, who have ported among others all Tomb Raiders since TR Anniversary, Deus Ex HR (incl. DC), and Hitman Absolution to Mac, and also appear to be working on Sleeping Dogs DE.

And Feral also does Linux/SteamOS ports (e.g. XCOM, Empire: Total War, and the upcoming Shadow of Mordor and Arkham Knight).

But admittedly, they so far haven’t ported a Sqeenix Game to Linux.

• XhomeB says:

When is SteamOS officially launching?

4. montorsi says:

I finished TR 2013 recently and had a lot of fun with it. The sequences towards the end where you running from cut scene to cut scene – I could do without those. Just show us a cinematic if that’s what you want to do (and I’m totally ok with that) Anyway, ready for the sequel! With tombs!

5. PancakeWizard says:

Only recently played and rather enjoyed the first. It was like a Die Hard/Lost mashup. Will happily pick up the second (on Steam).

Seems like they’ve painted themselves into a corner with the titles though. Perhaps the first one should’ve been called Lara Croft: Crucible, and this one Lara Croft: Tomb Raider?

• Legion23 says:

They can´t do that because they used the “Lara Croft” for the old-schoo- Lara isometric spin-off games. :)

6. XhomeB says:

Well… Looking forward to it.
    Apart from thousands of enemies to blast through (overpopulation of the island went against the whole “survival” aspect Crystal were striving for), the lack of puzzles or proper tombs and beyond crappy supporting cast, plot&writing (which annoyed me the most, because you simply couldn’t ignore it all, Crystal kept shoving that crap down your throat), the 2013 remake was actually fun in many ways (the hubs were actually well done) and definitely had its moments. Shame it didn’t provide the same “you’re exploring forgotten places, all alone, it’s just you, your wits vs the mysteries of places long forgotten” feeling the 1996 original had, though…
    Crossing fingers they learned from their mistakes and deliver a much-improved sequel.

7. coppernaut says:

I love the intentional butt shots in all the new TR pics. “Everybody thinks we’re all about boobs. The butt is subtle. Let’s do it.”. Subtle alright.

• Geebs says:

Meh, in a third person action game it generally works best if you point the camera somewhere vaguely in the direction of the protagonist.

The most recent Tomb Raider was actually pretty good at not going over the top on the cheesecake; it’s a shame they fell back on the old, puritanical fall-back of replacing sex with gratuitous torture.

• DanMan says:

But, but… that’s how ‘Murica likes it, no? No tits and lots of blood.

• KenTWOu says:

“This Film Is Not Yet Rated” documentary confirmed that.

• bill says:

Is that true anymore? Not specifically for movies, but I struggle to think of a recent US tv drama where half the cast hasn’t been full frontally naked. Game of Thrones, Spartacus, True Blood, Penny Dreadful, etc…

• Distec says:

Women have butts.

This was a surprise to me too.

• Ejia says:

Hmm. Lara Classic was all boobs, and now NuLara is all butt? I can get behind this.

• jonahcutter says:

Actually they are most recently known for having redesigned Lara with more realistic proportions.

• Monggerel says:

I would probably expect Larry Kraft to wear something other than her tightest possible pants when she inveitably goes out to jump ice and ice jumpers but quite frankly aside from clothing concerns I’m more annoyed that there will literally never exist a female protagonist in any media who looks like they can, you know, perform feats of physical ability.

But hey. Hey now. Hey now hey na-na-now. Sing This Corrosion to me.

particlese says:

Setting aside tenuous concerns raised by OMG E3 ACTION trailers: Wee, snow! Laughably ridiculous ice climbing, yeah, but snow is always good, and now we have the technology to melt our way through it with superheated snow pants. I mean, just look at it! It’s like Spintires, minus the spinning and the tires, but plus legs and pants and horizontal deer climbing and things. And maybe Laura can even eat the ground when she’s thirsty, which would be the best of things.

• XhomeB says:

Agree about the snow – if there’s something that caught my eye during that overly-scripted E3 sequence, it was the snow. Very well done, probably the best I’ve seen to date, you can almost feel its weight.
      I’m wondering whether the “desert/sand” area we’ve gotten a sneak peek at has some surprises in store. I’d love to see some equally good sand physics.

• mattevansc3 says:

So snow is the new water?

particlese says:

Oh, man, that would be fantastic! As it is, this bit here (RotTR “siberian wilderness” video, in case I bork that link) really puts me in mind of Journey (next-best snow in a game, methinks), and good sand would make the connection even stronger. This game had better be a good one, then!

And upon further inspection, wonkiness of the trudge-trenches aside, yeah: the snow really does look great in this game. In particular, I’m loving the wind-blown stuff and that particular sparkliness of the surface, seen at length in the video I linked to, and especially the sloughing of the snow at 4:20 in this article’s second video. It looks… I dunno, like it really has weight, as you said. Very neat!

9. FurryLippedSquid says:

A more magnificent posterior has not been seen, in-game.

I’ll be quite happy to follow that around for another 12 hours.

10. DanMan says:

Don’t sharpen your ice axes just yet. I’ll shoot them a line.

THIS close. I was THIS close. Thanks for doing gods work.

11. Retro says:

Marvellous sitzfläche

12. Frings says:

Fingers crossed that this trend for Windows 10-only games doesn’t catch on. That kind of thing is one of the reasons I stopped playing on consoles.

(Yes, I know there’s an argument to be made about games exclusive to PC vs Mac, Linux, etc. But when it comes to a forced barrier between a version of an operational system with its previous ones – that has nothing to do with compatibility, mind – my heart is set on NO.)

13. ansionnach says:

She needs to work on her self-arrest technique. They should probably both be wearing helmets. Could even make it into the marketing: realistic helmet hair physics.

14. alael55 says:

Personally i was a big fan of the reboot now since they pulled out this esclusive crap i am gonna pirate it just for revenge,

• TWChristine says:

That’ll show ’em, eh!

• GWOP says:

Just be honest to yourself and admit you’ll pirate because you’re cheap.

• bill says:

Not necessarily. I once pirated a game because their demo fucked up my system. I didn’t even particularly want the game. It made me feel better, even though I only played it for a few hours.

15. racccoon says:

Over dramatised, unrealistic events and does make any sense to real life situations. its a shame they follow the same lines of play as games like uncharted, a collapsing environment with a jump to this n’ that, make it so silly and obvious to me that its seems to be a waste of really good modelling placed on over exaggeration of game play theatrics…that’s a lot of ramble shit but very precise to how this plays from the videos shown. lol

16. racccoon says:

p.s. I would of preferred to start from her mansion and have game play from that start point with a real adventure attached and reason, and not a forced directed one.

17. vlonk says:

This is not how climbing in ice and snow works. I can relate to feats of strength, dumb luck jumps and all the frantic action parts etc. but the gamification here hits harder then the utterly dumb ship/sailing physics from asscreed blackflag.

How exactly am I to generate some suspense of disbelief when Lara is climbing through solid ice faster then a woman could climb on a friggin’ climbing wall? Also you could cut every jump distance in half by length or height and it would still be a marvel…That was a vertical jump of more then 2 meters I would argue at 2:44. That is not humanly possible on a 1G planet. That beats the NBA record by almost double.

I enjoyed the first part very much and it seemed through and through to have a more realistic approach from an athletic guideline then this iteration. #LaraLympics

18. Doganpc says:

I’m curious to see what they could possibly do to create a worthwhile experience. I liked TR 2013, a lot. For me it hit the fine balance between story and game giving me enough game to feel connected (I still vividly remember the sick feeling I got every time I failed something and got a multitude of grotesque consequences) and enough story to want to push through some of the gameplay weaknesses.

I’m not sure if a sequel will be able to connect with me like the first one did. Will the story be grand enough to overcome the gameplay let downs (now a known value) a second time around? Can a sequel be done right for a game that previously left off with the player following the protagonist as she transformed from a scared ill equipped survivor to a rage fueled god of gorilla warfare?