Mount & Blade: Warband’s Viking Conquest Relaunched

A loyal RPS reader wearing his Horace hat from the Supporter Program.

When Mount & Blade: Warband‘s [official site] pillaging add-on Viking Conquest launched in December, it was low on content and high on bugs. Developers Brytenwalda (named after the famous Warband Viking mod they made first) have been fixing it up since then, and today it’s deemed done enough for a relaunch.

A big update has brought great gobs of new content, along with a new name: Viking Conquest Reforged Edition. It’s a free update for folks who already own it, of course.

The Reforged Edition brings improved sea battles, a dog friend, berserker troops, crouching, hunting, labour minigames (chopping logs! breaking rocks! farming!), a new storyline set in Ireland, new quests, and plenty more that I haven’t just lifted from the trailer. Check this list for the full rundown. That sure is a lot of new stuff.

Mount & Blade creators TaleWorlds have been tapping external developers for Warband expansions while they themselves focus on Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. Still no word on when that’ll be released, but their development is over here if you want to check in.

If you want to get in on Viking Conquest now, it’ll run you £9.99.

1. gi_ty says:

I played this shortly after launch this morning, and I must say its a great addition! I was a little disappointed with the initial release but I still got my fun out of it. Now its like a really excellent expansion rather than just a prettied up mod. I can definitely recommend it now if you like M&B.

2. LionsPhil says:

horace stop trying to eat that man

he will only give you indigestion

• MrFinnishDude says:

Now I cant look at animal-head-hood-thingamajigs the same way ever again.

• Ejia says:

Assuming an endless bear has an endless appetite, does it also get endless gastric distress, or are its tummy troubles finite?

3. shadybearfaced says:

“relaunched”

So, in other words, they’ve fixed the game and want everyone to give it another chance? And it basically should have been in development up until now?

• cpt_freakout says:

This one wasn’t even so bad, the one that needs like 3 “relaunches” is Caribbean.

4. Swanny says:

I’m looking forward to playing now that it’s finally shaping up. Also: needs ‘staring eyes’ tag!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I only came here to point out that the thumbnail for this article under “News and Things” looks like a picture of Alf.

Carry on.

6. Tei says:

I killed the manbear on the south park videogame.

Mikemcn says:

There is so much stuff in that game now, it’s rad, sucks that it took them so long to get their act together.

Favorite thing is the “gore” option, all it does is make it so that occasionally an enemys head pops off, but instead of a clean decapitation, the game swaps the enemy for a model of a headless torso and a generic bloody head which poofs into existence where the bad guy was and falls to the ground in the goofiest way possible.

I find it hilarious everytime.

• king0zymandias says:

Do you think this has enough new things to appeal to someone who has already played hundred of hours of Warband, with dozens and dozens of different mods? I have been eagerly waiting for Bannerlord, but that seems to be a few years away. So I was wondering weather I should pick this up in the meantime.

Mikemcn says:

I think so, I’ve done 300 hours of Warband (And it’s expansions) and 100 Hours of the original game… I find myself continually able to comeback to the games. Some new features you might find unique…
        -Much bigger openworld than the base game or most of the mods i’ve seen, think A Clash Of Kings size world.
        -A huge array of realism/difficulty options. You can tune the game to make it harder or easier in any aspect you want. On normal you have to manage stamina and encumbrance, but can turn one or both of those off if you want.
        -Sailing is neat, I haven’t seen a mod that allows you to both sail on the Ocean and control a fleet. (COK has some ship stuff but not to the same degree)
        -A guided story mode if you want. Whereas Warband is entirely open ended, you can choose to start a story game and you are pointed towards an end goal or you can go off and do your own thing (Although things like making your own kingdom are limited in story, but sandbox games are available) While nothing revolutionary, the story plays out well (So far) and creates some unique scenarios that you haven’t seen in an M&B game before.
        -Extended party managment options, leave some in a camp so you can chase after bandits, build a refuge for your soldiers which you can upgrade. Additional combat formations, ability to fight on after being knocked out. The types of soldier you have are more varied.
        -And I’m told you can get dogs if you give them a sausage fooditem from your inventory. That’s great.

8. blastaz says:

Tried playing this at launch and it was absurdly buggy. Might give it a go now.