Scream, Dracula, Scream! Victor Vran Out Of Early Access

When our John wanted to click on monsters until they exploded in showers of pennies, blades, and garments, Adam pointed him towards Victor Vran [official site]. The demon-hunting action-RPG had only just launched into Steam Early Access, but John dug it. Unhelpfully, he didn’t leave snappy soundbites like “it blew me away” or “it murdered its way into my heart” – would it kill you, John? – so just trust me on that if you’re too lazy to read his impressions yourself.

Anyway, Victor Vran left Early Access and properly launched today, presumably making it even better. Big updates are still planned for the future, though.

Though the game may now be properly out and everything, developers Haemimont Games (yes, the Tropico lot) still plan to add fairly big features in free updates and free DLC. Their plans include support for local co-op multiplayer, wizard-style monster-slaying through tomes (including – groan – The Nekonomicon and Fifty Shades of Slay), a new map, and daily challenges.

They’re working on expansion too, but won’t have anything more to say about that until the Gamescom show in August.

Victor Vran is £14.39 on Steam and £14.49 on GOG (though, in the UK at least, it does comes with a couple of quid in GOG credit for future purchases to make up for regional pricing differences). Have a launch trai- HEY! I know that monster-hunting voice!

1. Ejia says:

This is not the same thing as the Van Helsing games which are also ARPGs, yes?

• trn says:

No, that was a different series by Neocore, the first of which offers a satisfying 15-20 hour narrative arpg experience and can usually be bought dirt cheap. I believe that the unique selling point of Victor Vran is gamepad support and more dynamic combat.

• RedViv says:

Van Helsing is Diablo-like, while Vran is more like Dungeon Siege III or the old Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance games.

• Ejia says:

This is why just lumping together everything as ARPG sometimes annoys me.

Sometimes it’s brought up here that Metroidvania is too specific, and people should be using Action-Adventure instead. I disagree. The fact that Metroidvania is a specific subset of Action-Adventure is quite useful.

Likewise, a “Diablo-like” should be called what it was always called, a hack-and-slash.

• tairar says:

I’ve always been a big fan of the term “loot-em-up” for a diablo-like

• malkav11 says:

I’m not sure what the distinction you’re trying to draw is. Van Helsing, Dungeon Siege III and the Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance games are all very much like Diablo, with slaughtering enemies in great quantity via third-person action-based combat with RPG stats and skill trees, and piles of rarity-coded loot. They all also have more involved dialogue and questing than the Diablo games. Dungeon Siege III is actually probably the most dissimilar one of the three as it’s a more kinetic, direct-control based combat with a strong emphasis on dodging and blocking, and the loot is not as big an emphasis as the narrative bits and questing. I haven’t played Victor Vran, mind.

2. Carlos Danger says:

Game would have been well served by putting more effort into the look of its main character.

3. tsff22 says:

I can vouch for this game being quite fun. The combat is fast, fluid and varied, the challenges and secrets are appropriately challenging, the various weapons, powers and passive Destiny Cards are great, the story is surprisingly good, and the characters are great. Victor himself is a badass and is voiced by Doug Cockle, who you may remember as Geralt of Rivia. And his “companion”, Voice, is a hilarious snarker who I’m almost positive is voiced by the Stanely Parable narrator.

Check it out if you enjoy action rpgs. I personally enjoyed it MUCH more than Incredible Adventures.

• subedii says:

There is actually a minor joke where he accidentally references the main character as “Stanley” before swapping back again.

• Renevent says:

Yeah totally agree, I picked this up in EA on a whim and it turned out to be a really fun action packed ARPG.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I also got the feeling that this might be a very good game, it’s nice to hear that others like it as well.

I’m not expecting it to be Vrantastic, but from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t mind if it turned into a Vranchise.

4. Dare_Wreck says:

Oh man, now Rocket From the Crypt is going back into my music queue for about the next 30 days straight. Thank you headline, thank you.

5. leeder krenon says:

All RPS headlines should be RFTC references

6. racccoon says:

Nooo not the witcher voice… he’s the witcher not this…lol

7. jrodman says:

This game is sadly avoidably tarnished for me for being the first game on GoG where that site deliberately added DRMish features in the form of a server-controlled minor perk that has to be online activated. That it’s “exclusive content” doesn’t really help either.

This is obviously highly subjective, but leaves me unable to contemplate appreciating it.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

That may be as it is, and it is your right to feel that way, but giving a game you haven’t even played yet a one-star rating like some of the people on GOG because of this DRM-ish content is fucking bullshit