The Bomb: Fallout Anthology Out October 2nd

Bethesda are taking advantage of the encroaching release of Fallout 4 [official site] with plans to release a hefty collection of Fallout games. They’re calling it, quite naturally, Fallout Anthology.

Put a circle around October 2nd in your calendars; the Anthology includes all five games in the Fallout series from the original through New Vegas, and all the relevant DLC in between. There’s also space in its fake mini-nuke box reserved for Fallout 4, which is due out around a month later on November 10th.

They’re packaging it in an “exclusive mini-nuke storage case with audible bomb sound”, so don’t bring it out anywhere in public unless we’re in a nuclear winter by then. I’d have prefered it inside a giant irradiated rat but nobody listens to me.

Here’s everything you get, with a price tag of £39.99:

– Gun Runners’ Arsenal
– Courier’s Stash
• Fallout Tactics
• Fallout 2
• Fallout

1. Spacewalk says:

That’s not even gonna fit neatly on the shelf. Back of the closet it goes.

2. Anthile says:

Audible bomb sound? What could possibly go wrong.

3. XhomeB says:

A mini-nuke, eh? Yeah, that’s what Todd Howard and his expert team of mental teenagers think Fallout is all about. Case in point: Failout 3.
    Todd Howard:
    “Hey, it’s Fallout, let’s get some nuclear explosions on the screen.”
    “Hey, violence is funny – let’s all just own up to it! Violence done well is ****ing hilarious.”
    Tim Cain:
    “My idea is explore more of the world and more of the ethics of a postnuclear world, not to make a better plasma gun.”

• OpT1mUs says:

I love this comment <3

• joa says:

Shit, violence is funny – I do not trust anyone whom says they are above it.

• Shadow says:

Lighten up a bit.

• XhomeB says:

Giving Bethesda the rights to Fallout is an equivalent of giving a nice, expensive watch to an ape. For a while, you might have some fun watching the poor fellow fiddle with it, but then you kind of get depressed shortly after the watch gets smashed to bits.

• king0zymandias says:

Just what I needed to hear. Thanks man. Cheered me up.

• ninnyjams says:

Fortunately, a lot of people loved the originals AND the new games. Have fun being miserable about it.

• Zorn says:

People love having stupid mindless fun. I’m one of them too.
            But that is, and was, never the reason to play Fallout.

• Balance of Power says:

Did you even play the original Fallout? Comical, over-the-top violence and dark comedy are a staple of Fallout. From the news clips of American soldiers in power armor executing Canadians to Vault Boy illustrations kicking a pregnant woman to the Blood Mess perk, the game has always been violent and grimdark. Bethesda, if anything, has been faithful to that idea. So stop pretending like it’s something Bethesda contrived.

As for Tim Cain, the guy worked on three financially unsuccessful titles, all of which sank Troika games. He’s not exactly a good source of material for quote-mining.

• XhomeB says:

Oh hi there, Todd.

• Emeraude says:

It’s more a problem in tone and execution than a problem with the presence of humor proper I’d say.

If you’re expecting Man Bites Dog 2 and you get Anchorman… well, the issue isn’t so much that the later is inherently bad as much as it’s not what you were led to expect from past iterations. Won’t scratch the same itch.

• drewski says:

The Monty Python homage in Fallout 2 really brought home the harsh reality of post-apocalyptic politics, I agree.

• XhomeB says:

Except a few references here and there don’t mean the entire game revolved around them. I thought that was obvious.
        Besides, F2 went overboard with easter eggs (that’s all they ever were, something Todd doesn’t get) compared to the (much more serious and grounded) original, and I think even Avellone or Urquhart went on record saying it was a big mistake, because the sheer abundance of those accidentally could change the tone of the game in places.

• MazokuRanma says:

It’s either Avellone or Urquhart, or maybe even Cain, but on Matt Chat during one of those interviews they mention that they lost a lot of control over the design process of Fallout 2 because the first became such an amazing success, so there were several things they weren’t on-board with that they were forced to implement.

4. plsgodontvisitheforums_ says:

Very tasteful.

5. Biggus_Dikkus says:

Already have best of them for free from GOG.com

6. Sacarathe says:

But it’s not an anthology if there is a game missing no?

In the computer gaming sense, I realise an anthology can be anything the composer wants.

• Jalan says:

Not a “complete” anthology, but to their benefit an anthology doesn’t have to be “complete” to be an anthology. Bully for them, less so for those like yourself I guess.

7. king0zymandias says:

After Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity I don’t think I can ever bring myself to go through another lifeless and bland Bethesda game. It’s not like we are starved for good RPGs anymore.

8. Phocoena says:

What? There’s no Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?

• LionsPhil says:

Less complete than the old White Label budget DVD release.

• neuroxia says:

Fallout Tactics is Brotherhood of Steel

• Phocoena says:

No, it isn’t. Fallout: BOS was a cheap console game that was produced by Interplay just as Interplay was breathing its dying breaths.

• neuroxia says:

My bad, i forgot that thing even existed; I was thinking about Tactics’ full name.

Aerothorn says:

This strikes me as sort of weird – I always imagined Bethesda would try and bury the hatchet on non-Bethesda Fallout games so they don’t look bad by comparison. Instead they release a four-game pack with only one Bethesda game in it. Money on the table, I guess.

Aerothorn says:

Five-game, even.

• Balance of Power says:

You may recall that Fallout 1 and 2 were removed from GOG and back in late 2013 because Interplay lost the rights to Fallout under the terms of the agreement they had with Bethesda link. This anthology likely represents Bethesda’s full ownership of Fallout as a whole now. It only makes sense they recoup some of the costs that went into acquiring it and giving something to the fans and potential fans.

10. PancakeWizard says:

1) Fix Fallout 3 for Windows 7, integrate it into Steamworks and integrate the DLC properly so it all doesn’t pop up at once when you exit the Vault.

2) Add some proper resolution/widescreen support for Fallout 1,2, Tactics and whatever nifty Steamworks stuff you can throw at it.

Then I might see the point in rebuying these games, Bethesda.

• mariandavid says:

• FreshwaterAU says:

right on, Fallout doesnt work for me and goes rainbow color. I’m tired of troubleshooting it. Plus getting rid of GFWL is big to me for Fallout 3, I’d might have replayed it.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Not sure which version you have, but the GOG version works well.

• LionsPhil says:

Indeed. At least when other media expect you to re-buy a collector’s series of films, or a collection of albums, they bother to at least pretend to remaster them to whatever the latest, greatest technology is.

• Jalan says:

The Fallout Collection – Lovingly brought to you by the fine folks at Criterion.

11. turnererika63 says:

as Howard implied I am blown away that any body able to make $9925 in four weeks on the internet . look at here now
    >>>>>>>>>> link to 2.gp

• MultiVaC says:

I, too, am blown away by the situation Howard is speaking of. How could anyone make so much money in so little time on the internet? Is it the horse armor? Come on, Todd, I think your loyal fans deserve better when you are clearly making so much money off of them. Even the spambots can’t believe what they are hearing.

• Stone_Crow says:

Everyone knows Howard is a twat. I was speaking to Howard’s wife only an hour ago and even SHE said Howard was a spineless snake oil selling cunt praying on the stupid and the desperate, who will burn in the deepest pit of hell. At least I think that’s what she said, she had her mouth full at the time.

12. Tayh says:

So wait, is this only available in NA and the UK?

• Tayh says:

Also, wish they’d just put the games on gog.com.

• Jungle Rhino says:

Well under the terms of the recently agreed nuclear armaments deal I presume it won’t be for sale in Iran…

13. CrazyPaladin says:

So this is for PC only I presume. For a moment I thought I could experience Fallout 2 on console, oh well, too good to be true.

14. Sollymurasaki says:

I don’t even understand why people bother buying anthologies like this one. I mean the box is complete only until another game/DLC comes out, and then you just have a big box full of almost all the games + some on the side not even fitting in.

15. flupke says:

They should have made the bomb an alarm clock with a red countdown to the time of waking up. That would have been glorious.

16. drewski says:

I wonder what the breakdown of people buying this would be between Fallout fans who value the collectability, and gamers looking to get into Fallout who treat it as a comprehensive foot in the door. Hmmm.

17. Samuel. R says:

It’s cute, but the fact they aren’t even applying any workability updates to the games is ridiculous, and it definitely isn’t worth the $100 AUD it’s being sold at over here.

18. Vympel says:

I find it hilarious that in 2015 people still exist (XhomeB) who is decrying Bethesda having the rights to Fallout, still making the same absurd, patently false arguments like “violence wasn’t meant to be funny in Fallout”. I guess all those comically exaggerated ultra-gorey death animations in Fallout were meant to be a serious commentary on the mortality of man.

The only thing that would complete the authenticity of the whining is calling Bethesda “Bethe$da” – because those dastardly corporate hacks only want to make money, unlike the glorious People’s Democratic Republic of Black Isle Studios.

As for this compilation pack – I’m sorry, are there still people in 2015 who buy this cheap plastic tat? You guys do realise you’re just clogging up your house with garbage that you’ll throw away in a few years, right?

• Emeraude says:

I find it hilarious that in 2015 people still exist that think their choice preference of entertainment consumption is reason enough to feel smugly superior to others.

• Vympel says:

Oh please. Someone barges into the thread smearing the franchise with 2008 NMA forum arguments but the chastisement about smug superiority is reserved for who calls them out on it? Sounds legit.

• joa says:

Shit, can’t believe people are still buying plastic in 2015. They need to take that shit back to 2008.