Shadowrun: Hong Kong Boots Up On August 20th

Where else would shadowrunners set up base?

Shadowrun: Hong Kong [official site] has finally got itself a fancy release date, so y’all can pencil this in: August 20th, which gives you a good month to crack those knuckles on the franchise’s original Gera-Approved Pen & Paper Daddy for full preparation.

As Hairbrained Schemes’ Jordan Weisman told us earlier this year, Hong Kong harkens back to the mechanics of the old school RPG: “One of the things we’re excited about is we believe we’ve been able to be much truer to the spirit and in most cases the actual mechanics of the tabletop game, but still offer the accessibility of a videogame, of a CRPG instead of a tabletop RPG,” he said, appealing to all my interests. “You’re always walking that fine line, but I think that our goal was to be able to build on the bones of the paper RPG and open it up to a much wider audience, but hopefully Shadowrun returns has managed to do.”

The studio will be sending out an update in a couple of weeks over how to get keys, for those of you who backed the very successful Kickstarter. Plans are to release the game via Steam, GOG, and Humble at the oddly precise time of 10am PST.

In the meantime you can have a peak at the game through the power of screenshots.

1. Bull0 says:

Deeply exciting. Now it just needs to be as good as Dragonfall…

• avtrspirit says:

I’ll even take 75% as good. Dragonfall (Director’s Cut) was a perfect balance between strong narrative and open-world expression. And well-paced to not have a single boring mission. And created plenty of space for role-playing. And had remarkably interesting companions and antagonists.

… I might be putting the game on a pedestal. Oh, well.

• MisterFurious says:

Open-world expression? It’s really not that open of a world. Sure, you occasionally have some choices about where to go and what order you want to do things, but it’s still pretty linear. It’s a far cry from the Sega game level of openness. I’m not complaining, mind, because I don’t mind linearity because I think it’s the best way to tell a story, but I think the open-worldness of this game was just an illusion. Instead of making you do a series of missions in order, they some times gave you a bunch of missions to do in whatever order you wanted, but you still did them all and it didn’t really matter what order you did them. The end result was the same.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I hate to say this, but you started it so I will:

Games are illusions.

Seriously though, an illusion can be a very important thing in gaming. The illusion of an open world is no different, providing the dev does it well and the player is willing to go along. Both are, granted, big ifs, but my experience of Dragonfall was of a pretty ‘open’ world.

2. welverin says:

That oddly precise 10 AM PST release time is when the Steam Store updates, the real trick is getting the other retailers unlock it at the same time.

3. horus_lupercal says:

10am PST so just after i get in from work and I have the 21st booked off, not for this game but due to birthday shenanigans. Looks like I won’t be getting anything productive done that weekend :-D

Andy_Panthro says:

I enjoyed the first two so much I have pre-ordered this one,.

5. geisler says:

Damn it all, literally the exact day i start work again.

6. turnererika63 says:

as Howard implied I am blown away that any body able to make $9925 in four weeks on the internet . look at here now
    >>>>>>>>>> link to 2.gp

7. Darth Gangrel says:

Hairbrained Schemes? Someone’s been reading too many fashion articles, they’re called Harebrained Schemes.

8. metric day says:

Hmmm… time to finally play Dragonfall, then.

9. notenome says:

This AND Satellite Reign on the 28th?

When did August become Cyberpunk month?

• unraveler says:

There is also Armikrog on 18th, Although it is not Cyberpunk!

10. PancakeWizard says:

Can we all just remember how awesome the Shadowrun Returns soundtrack is?

• XhomeB says:

I don’t know what it is, but it reminds me so much of the music from the Amiga days.

11. bonuswavepilot says:

“…you can have a peak at the game…” – you want the other ‘peek’. That one is the top of the mountain sort.

12. caff says:

Dragonfall was flipping excellent. I kickstarted this on the back of that.

13. AyeBraine says:

Dear RPS, I wanted to ask – this is not snobbery or grammar nazism, because I’m not a native speaker – is “sneak peek” always spelled as a “peek”?

I thought “to peek” was to look briefly and discreetly, and “peak” was a summit of something. I mean this is a thing so prevalent on gaming sites that I’m beginning to doubt myself. Maybe “peak” is a legitimate form of “peek”? Again, I’m asking in all seriousness, no sarcasm.

• MrPyro says:

You are correct in your language understanding. It’s a fairly easy slip to make.