10 Minute Barbarian Is Exactly What It Sounds Like

Some people say that Hemingway’s short poem “For sale: baby shoes, never worn” is great because of the enormous size of a story it hints at in such minimalist prose but I think we all know it’s actually good because it’s really, really fast. In this mile-a-minute world of vines and GIFs I just don’t have time for anything that requires more than seven seconds of recollection.

Enter 10 Minute Barbarian [official site], which is exactly what it should be.

“I’ve been working on this game, 10 Minute Barbarian,” Studio Puffer’s Wolff Dobson told us. “I wrote it because I love sprawling strategy games, but I only had 10 minutes in which to play them.”

You build an army, you explore, you attack a castle wall, you defend yourself against a dragon. It’s all about 10 minutes long. It is madness. It’s wonderful. You can play a demo for free on Studio Puffer’s site, or check it out on Steam Greenlight. The demo gets you the first three levels of the game, which is slated to officially launch sometime this summer on Windows and Mac.

1. Serrit says:

Hmm having sunk 100 hours into 3 games of Fallen Enchantress over the past 3 weeks, this sounds like exactly what I need to avoid getting dragged into the “just.. one.. more.. turn…” state of mind each 3am.

2. John O says:

I played it for 20 minutes, it’s certainly fun!

• lordcooper says:

You should ask for a refund. That’s blatantly false advertising.

3. Jakkar says:

You’ll need to fix the [official site] link, it seems to loop back here.

4. Heliocentric says:

TLDR for post please.

5. Person of Con says:

That’s markedly longer than Half Minute Hero. I blame time inflation. That”s what happens when you have Chrono-democrats in the White Tesseract House. Tax, transform temporal reality, and spend. Tax, transform temporal reality, and spend.

6. Kaeoschassis says:

Any game with a countdown to the apocalypse prominently displayed must be good. Pretty much a law.

7. jakedrake says:

Looks like it was very inspired by an old game called “Oasis” by Mind Control Games, which I loved dearly but I am realizing is kind of impossible to find anymore. It had great game design with a lot of elements that are much more in vogue these days.

Aerothorn says:

I had no idea that was gone! I am pretty sure I bought it on CD – hopefully I still have it!

• Shar_ds says:

Yep, exactly the same thoughts. Oasis was great, hope that it’s still around in some form somewhere..

• Rhygadon says:

It made the jump to hand-computer (well, two-hand-computer): last I checked, it’s still available for ipad. Works quite well in that format, too.

• HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

This was precisely my thought as I watched the video. Oasis remains one of the best ‘casual’ titles ever released, and is the first of a handful of (non-Steam) games I always install on my new PC builds.

In case anyone is wondering, the others are:

FastCrawl
      Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space
      Escape Velocity Nova
      Transcendence
      Mad Caps
      Kohan: Ahriman’s Gift
      Mount & Blade
      My Tribe
      Freelancer

• jakedrake says:

Glad to see others remember Oasis fondly as well. It’s easy for the pioneering but relatively unsuccessful games to fall through the cracks of the gaming consciousness. Their influence is felt but unseen. I’d love to see RPS or someone do a series on these types of games that many have never played but have had a clear impact on popular games of our day. For example, PLEASE WRITE ABOUT “DIASPORA”. Considering all the love EVE: Online gets, you’d think someone would be talking about the original high sec space.

8. rexx.sabotage says:

Hemingway aint got nothing on T-Rex