Board ‘Em Up: Legions Of Steel Goes From Tabletop To PC

Often when I’m in a pub I’ll regail strangers with great tales of how I’ll one day make my millions by pitching game developers great ideas I’ve stolen from board games I once played in a recroom during the ’90s. It’s a great tragedy that Studio Nyx got there ahead of me with Legions of Steel [official site], which if you’re old enough you might recognise as an old tactical board game about saving humanity from mechanical jerks.

The original rule-set has been recreated for its PC release by the French studio – The game’s out now and you can watch in action below:

It’s a lovely setting about the dark future of the Milky Way and sentient machines who you fight as part of a small squad. So there’s a nice whiff of Battlestar Galactica to it, albeit more in tune with the show and not the slower-paced and psychology-heavy board game. Legions of Steel is brutish and warring, with two turn-based campaigns set in underground facilities and a squad of guys to lead and order against AI baddies. It’s the kind of game where one bad order can mean the demise of your entire squad. According to the developer, there’s also a dynamic tournament system for same human v. human action.

on Steam for £14.99 or it’s £12.99 direct from publishers Slitherine, who also sell a boxed version for £19.99.

You can check out an early prototype below, which gives you an idea of some of the development decisions made to translate this from tabletops:

1. Fnord73 says:

No, just NO! on the voiceover. Instant turnoff.

2. bonuswavepilot says:

“…I’ll regail strangers with great tales…” I do believe the word you’re looking for there is ‘regale’.

I must agree with Fnord about the voice-acting…

• wraithgr says:

It depends, sometimes people have already been gailed and then they can be regailed, i.e. gailed again.

Not sure what happens to someone when they’re gailed twice though…

• bonuswavepilot says:

I’ve heard that a the kids these days have even been experimenting with triple-gailing, and the associated feeling of well-being (known colloquially among them as a ‘threegasm’) it provides. Indications are that there may be long-term detrimental effects, but the research just isn’t there yet.

3. Zenicetus says:

It’s not just the lame writing on the voiceover, it’s that awful fake Southern USA accent.

4. Riaktion says:

That trailer does the opposite of selling the game to me… wowzer! As I know nothing about the game getting an idea of how it plays would be best, after all digital board games are ALL about their mechanics.

5. Donkeyfumbler says:

I know gameplay is everything, but when the voiceover and the trailer sounds this amateurish, it can’t help but make you think the actual game will be the same. I like Slitherine and have bought several of their games but, really, what were they thinking?

If that wasn’t enough to put you off, the game looks to be identical on ipad and yet is half the price of the PC version. Strange, because Slitherine have been quite careful in the past to price the two platforms fairly close to each other to avoid pissing off PC gamers (still their core audience I believe).

All in allm, quite sad because early reviews on Steam are quite positive and it looks like the kind of thing I’d quite enjoy.

6. slerbal says:

Wow. Just wow. That was the worst voice acting I’ve heard in a while.

7. ExitDose says:

That trailer in unintentionally awesome. It makes it look like Battlefield Earth: The Video Game.

8. Blackbird says:

There is no voice acting in game, just the daft trailer. The game itself is very good, I have already put quite a lot of hours into it.

9. Wowbagger says:

Looks a bit like Space hulk hope that’s a good surmise? if so then I’d give it a whirl.

10. rabbit says: