Boaty Exploration: Submerged Surfacing Next Week

Yes, please.

Exploring a drowned world on a dinky little boat sounds grand. Not Waterworld drowned, just… end-of-human-civilization-as-we-know-it-don’t-worry-it’s-kinda-peaceful-may-as-well-accept-it drowned. I’ve had my eye on Submerged [official site] for a while, keen to get exploring, and am glad to learn the wait is almost over. For months I’ve been making do the best I can, which was sitting in the bath surrounded by LEGO houses. It’s not the same.

Submerged will arrive next Tuesday, August 4th, developers Uppercut Games have announced. Come see some lovelies in a new trailer:

Grand that, isn’t it? The exploration isn’t aimless, see, you’re looking for supplies. Navigating the drowned city, you need to spot supply caches, and figure out how the reach them, large buildings turning from scenery to platforming environments you scale and shimmy around to reach the goodies. You’ve got a sick brother to look after, after all.

But oh, the peaceful moments, the sunsets and sunrises over dramatic views, and the seemingly mutated whales and dolphins and fat seagulls, those are all delightful. I don’t know if the supply-scavenging has any urgency attached, but I’d love to be able to poke around at my own pace.

Submerged will be available for Windows through Steam and the Humble Store. No word yet on how much it’ll cost.

1. Ross Angus says:

I hope this is just exploration and climbing I don’t want to punch an endless series of monsters in the face.

• UppercutEd says:

Hi Ross, I can guarantee that there is no combat, health or death of any kind. The goal with Submerged has been to make a relaxing, mysterious and interesting world world for you to explore at your own pace.

• All is Well says:

That’s great news. Too many open-world gamemakers seem nervous that people will find their games boring if they don’t inject lots of fighting everywhere, when the opposite actually seems to be true. The Witcher 3 would be a lot more enjoyable if there wasn’t a gang of bandits/wolves/dogs/monsters every 20m or so, for instance.

• Sarfrin says:

Hurray! Very much looking forward to this.

• geisler says:

No problem with limited or no combat, but no failure state at all? Sounds legit.

• Ross Angus says:

Lovely. Can’t wait.

2. Chiron says:

Ok, that looks pretty bloody amazing, like a more whimsical Assassins Creed

3. Laurentius says:

Looks cool,I hope it’s not one of those grindfests.

• UppercutEd says:

Definitely not a grindfest. Submerged has a narrative that unfolds as you progress through the campaign, but it’s at your own pace. And there are many secrets hidden throughout the city for you to find, but again it’s up to you whether you want to find them, or relax and just boat around.

• dreadguacamole says:

Thanks, I’m very much sold.
        One more question – this looks like something my 8-year old will adore, is the story appropriate for someone his age? (I’d be playing it alongside him)

• iainl says:

Count me as a second person who wants to know if this is going to pull narrative twists that aren’t suitable for my 10 year old to witness.

• UppercutEd says:

I think it should be ok. My 9-year-old found some aspects sad, (and some of the creatures a little bit scary) it wasn’t disturbing, and she has played for hours.

• iainl says:

Cool, thanks. A bit sad is fine, Life Of Pi-style “it was all a metaphor for this horrific abuse” twists are a bit much.

• dreadguacamole says:

That’s great to hear. Very much looking forward to playing this with him then.

FhnuZoag says:

Sweet! Someone listened to my comments about those flooded-city GTA mods… Well, there doesn’t seem to be any swimming, but boating isn’t bad…

5. yandexx says:

Looks nice. Visually — and I guess in the narrative sense too — it has got that The Last of Us vibe.

• Kefren says:

I was thinking “I Am Alive” with colour and prettiness.

• Kefren says:

(The nearest thing to Last Of Us on PC. Sadly, the graphics glitched too much for me to play for long, and bought too long ago for a Steam refund.)

basilisk says:

The visuals seems to have got a fair bit of inspiration from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West as well, which is not at all a bad thing. I’m intrigued.

6. 9of9 says:

Shaka, when the walls fell. Tyrion and Jorah, in Valyria.

7. Spidy09 says:

“I don’t know if the supply-scavenging has any urgency attached, but I’d love to be able to poke around at my own pace.”

I was wondering the same thing, some urgency would be OK, but the world seems too beautiful to pass by without stopping to appreciate the views.

8. cpt_freakout says:

Wow, this is the sort of thing I’d insta-buy, if I did such things. Hopefully it’ll be as great as it looks.

9. bills6693 says:

I’m really really hoping the boat handles like an actual boat handles, if we’re spending a lot of time driving this thing around exploring. Not like a typical videogame vehicle which can accelerate, decelerate, and turn all within a very short distance. If putting your engine astern severely limits your maneuverability, and it considers the actual factors in turn rate, speed, and momentum etc.

Even more interesting would be if there is actual tidal, wind or wave effects but this would be getting more advanced – but in waters with so many narrow channels, shallow areas etc you would expect to see significant currents and tidal effects.

If the boat handling is really simple and its easy to just put yourself wherever you want to be, I feel I would be a little disappointing personally, but I could easily be in a minority – it would just add a little extra interesting challenge in a unique way we don’t normally see in games using boats etc, and to have it in a game that appears to put so much emphasis and time on the boat driving would be phenomenal!

10. Deviija says:

Beautiful! I’ve been looking forward to this one. A relaxing, mysterious, imaginative open world exploration narrative with beautiful environments and no combat.

11. Craxel says:

It would, indeed, be rather nice if ship got real.

12. GAmbrose says:

“Exploring a drowned world on a dinky little boat sounds grand”

First thought: Zelda: Wind Waker.

13. Chaz says:

It does look very nice.

Can you swim and explore underwater by any chance? Swimming along submerged streets would surely be pretty cool.

• Bishop149 says:

Yeah, my first thought was: “Cool an underwater exploration game!” but it all looks depressingly above the waterline.

14. PancakeWizard says:

I’d love to know if Valarian and Lauranline: The City of Shifting Waters was any inspiration for this.

15. pfig says:

This looks terrific – I’ve always wanted to wander around the levels in Uncharted, this seems like just the ticket.