Boss Fight: Peek At Wanderlust Adventures’ Enemies

Ah wanderlust, that sweet call to adventure. It’s what drove Kerouak to meander America and Chris McCandless to shake off his dreary middle-class roots. I experienced wanderlust last night myself, when suddenly I was overtaken by the desire to experience something true and real and powerful like a kebab. So overtaken with the desire to reject my phony, humdrum existence without this, my meaty and spiritual totem, that I began an intense four-minute walk to the kebab shop: A story I will impart to my children, and they to their children, for generations. For, as I will say to them wisely, why live without kebabs when you can instead eat a kebab and become one with it?

And with that comes the tenuously linked albeit beautifully wanderful Wanderlust Adventures [official site]. We mentioned it to you just last month: published by the guys behind Starbound, it’s an exploration-heavy with four-player online co-op, all very true to Chucklefish style – free-roaming, randomised dungeons, gerbils.

It’s made by Yeti Trunk, the sequel to their Wanderlust: Rebirth. Chucklefish released its first official trailer for the game this week which gives you a look at how exactly character customization works and shows off the mind-boggling number of settings to explore. God it looks lovely.

Despite this trailer looking a hell of a lot like their last one – which the team was calling its “debut trailer” as opposed to “official” – keen observers will note the main difference is the addition of some mighty fine looking boss battles. Extra points to them for the Zardoz-styled giant rock head.

An actual release date remains a bit of a question mark. So far Wanderlust Adventures is slated to hit Steam with all the vagueness of “sometime this year.”

Watch it all in full below:

1. Geroshina says:

It looks awful, I don’t like the ascetic and perspective of the buildings is kinda ugly. I am waiting for 4 player coop game which will look like Seiken Densetsu 3…. since this pixel art retro games extravaganza started no one made sprites as good as ones on snes

• Ross Angus says:

I have a problem with the perspective too – it does strange things to my head and made To the Moon much less engaging for me.

I think the sprite work is lovely, however.

2. ashjxx says:

Great opening paragraph.

3. GameCat says:

I can’t watch that badly resized header picture. :/
    It would be better to just crop image, you can’t resize pixelart into smaller picture without breaking it.
    And that’s not the first time I see something like that on RPS. :/

• Alice O'Connor says:

Eternally surprised by the things people get in touch with us to talk about.

Thirith says:

I agree with him, though. With some, even many, screenshots it wouldn’t matter, but with pixel art a bad resize job makes the art look considerably worse. It makes the artists in question look like they don’t know what they’re doing, or possibly the programmers, if their work makes the art looks worse. And it’s something that can be remedied by cropping the image, as GameCat wrote.

• Alice O'Connor says:

A crop also misrepresents the game. Sometimes I crop, sometimes I resize. I chose the wrong option here but yeesh, scroll post it and get on with your life.

Thirith says:

Tad touchy, Alice? He’s not made a huge issue of it, and I’m pretty sure he’s already got on with his life. (Happy to do so myself, too.)

• laotze says:

Yeah, I mean, maybe not the best way to respond to constructive design criticism. It’s not like this person was uncivil about it or anything.