Don’t Race The Sun: Peaceful DLC Sunrise Released

Race the Sun [official site] is a fine game, an endless racer about a solar-powered flying machine racing desperately to stay ahead of the sunset on an alien planet. Developers Flippfly made Race the Sun even tougher with deathtraps galore in the recent Labyrinthia mode update earlier this year, and now they’ve done the opposite.

Now available as paid DLC is Sunrise, a calm mode with no pressure to race anything you don’t want to – just zoom safely around surreal landscapes.

With no sun to race – but a pleasant crescent hanging in the sky – and endless odd landscapes like a vaporwave album cover generator, you can fly as you please. Fippfly call it “a relaxing, meditative and zen-like experience that allows players to revel in the exhilarating speed without fear of the inevitable crash and burn or the loss of sunlight.”

Sounds lovely, that. A fear of losing my beautiful skin is what keeps me away from motorbikes so I definitely dig the idea of zooming around and going exciting places without finding myself dying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun, torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike, hearing some arse tolling a bell as I break out of my body and fly away like a bat out of Hell.

The Sunrise DLC is £1.59 on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Have a peek at it:

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Been chilling with this, but it suddenly turned tense when I got determined to somehow hop onto that floaty island castle in the sky and then failed, failed, failed, failed, failed, failed, failed, failed… RAGEQUIT!

2. K33L3R says:

Like a bat out of hell I’ll be gone when the morning calls…

Harlander says:

… I can see Paradise by the dashboard light…

• Blackcompany says:

A relaxing DLC to just while a way the time with…cause a Wasted Youth is better by far than a Wise and Productive Old Age…

3. Cryptoshrimp says:

This looks pretty nice, I had wondered why Race the Sun suddenly updated. Also, I would totally pay for a vapourwave coverart generator.

4. prof_yaffle says:

I really like Race The Sun, but I am totally rubbish at it. I can never get past the second section. So I’m going to get this DLC in the hopes I’ll spend less time crashing into walls.

particlese says:

Ooooo, I had done the Kickstarter thing but never got around to even installing the it until I saw this. It’s a weirdly tense, “ooo lookit that”, chill-out session of a game, and I like it. And it has flying whoopie cushions that occasionally blast you into the sky, which I’d say is a plus.

Note that it’s still possible to die in this DLC, so it’s not all relaxing and looking at pretty things if you’re very new to it and/or trying to be fancy. But it is pretty.

6. Wetcoaster says:

Any word on when it’ll be available for us GoG users?