The Iconoclasts Still A Stunning Action Platformer

The Iconoclasts [official site] is coming, The Iconoclasts is coming! After a years-long development period, one-person creator Joakim “Konjak” Sandberg has partnered with studio Bifrost Entertainment to finish the action-platformer. Their work has already borne fruit in the form of a new trailer below – the first, I think, since 2012.

In a post on the PlayStation Blog (the partnership also means that the game is coming to PS4 and Vita), Sandberg introduces the game’s world and story:

You follow the young, naive, and helpful mechanic Robin and her companions as they try to escape the soldiers of the religious authority One Concern — but it’s not just a simple story of good fighting evil to save the world. It’s about people caring for people, but having no real idea how to do it right.

He continues:

Since I was very young, I’ve wanted to make a game that mixes a bit of Metroid Fusion and Monster World IV; an action-filled adventure with a strong narrative, and also a bunch of world-building and discovery. I always loved the mix of charm and emotion in Final Fantasy IX and wanted a sprinkling of that feeling in the game’s characters, as well.

That the game stars a mechanic is going to make sentences about the game’s mechanics awkward to parse, but aside from being an action-platformer with enormous bosses to defeat, The Iconoclasts should challenge your brain with environment puzzles which you solve using a giant wrench. Because you’re a mechanic. In a world where practicing mechanics is illegal.

Development began on the game in 2010, when indie games were an unspoiled meadow of creativity, and work has continued through the intervening years of triumphant, blossoming growth until now, the grim meathook present, in which games are neither bought nor played but simply created so they can be fed directly into the crunching failmouth of public disinterest. Or so I’ve read.

Here’s the trailer, which does a good job of highlighting the wonderful artwork and giving some sense of the story:

If you hunger for more, there’s also this trailer from way back in 2012 that shows more of the combat and platforming, both of which are more than a match for the quality of the art. I know this because, aside from playing successive IGF builds over the past few years, there’s also a public alpha you can download now from Konjak’s site. The game has obviously changed since, but Sandberg has long been excellent at snappy-feeling platformer movement and at action which is both spectacular and tactical. If you haven’t already, you might also enjoy his previously released game Noitu Love 2.

Hunger for still more? Read Quinns’ words on The Iconoclasts from back in 2011.

1. Clavus says:

It’s also up on greenlight: link to steamcommunity.com

2. wraithgr says:

Why does that blond girl have a pink gumball stuck to her nose? Can’t unsee!

3. Anthile says:

At last! What a time to be alive. Hopefully we’ll see Owlboy as well some day.

4. GameCat says:

Link to official site doesn’t work, it redirects you to this news.

5. Monggerel says:

I seem to remember liking (licking? hm) the demo so yay. Another thing that might be a good thing.

6. Talesdreamer says:

Hell yes! I played the alpha build ages ago, so glad to hear this is being finished.
    The graphic style is just lovely.

DantronLesotho says:

Yay! I can’t wait until this comes out. Sandberg always has a lot of interesting things to say when it comes to game design and he’s worked hard over the years on his craft. I just want a release date now! :D

8. jrodman says:

Would you recommend this game to someone who is very, very terrible at games and chooses the easiest difficulty whenever possible?

• Y2Kafka says:

Most of the games he makes are beautiful and fast paced. I wouldn’t say they were by any means easy, but they’re challenging enough. I would say go for it if it’s cheap enough and it catches your eye. I haven’t been disappointed by this guy yet.

Personally I would say to try out some of his other games and see if they fit in with your preferences.
      link to konjak.org

I recommend Legend of Princess and Noitu Love 1-2.
      Noitu Love 2 is, from what I’ve seen of Iconoclasts, probably the closest related thing. Legend of Princess is a good free secondary choice if you don’t want to drop a few bucks on NL2.

• Y2Kafka says:

And yes, because of the lack of edit button… I just want to say that Steam has a demo of NL2 in case you want to check that out as well.

• pepperfez says:

I’d recommend LoP as a first stop regardless. Among other things, it’s got an absolutely brilliant challenge selection system, which might interest someone concerned about difficulty.

Skabooga says:

Ha! I’ve had the development blog for this game under my “Irregularly check in” bookmark folder for the past two years. It’s become such a staple, I can’t believe I’ll be removing it soon.