Boost: Rocket League’s Supersonic Fury DLC

Rocket League [official site] is one of the best multiplayer games I’ve ever played. Matches are quick, ricocheting between smart tactical play and chaotic panic, and the pace of the motorised football is perfectly pitched. Adding anything new to the delicate mix would risk upsetting the balance so I met the announcement of a DLC pack with some trepidation. Developers Psyonix are masterful mechanics though. The pack, which will be available next month priced at $3.99, contains new cars and customisation options, but nothing that will split the playerbase or offer paid-for advantages. Trailer and details below.

If you can’t watch the video where you are right now, the most important part is the announcement that a free patch will be released alongside the DLC. The new arena – a cosmetic switch rather than a fresh layout – is included in the patch, as are some new cosmetic items and the spectator mode. Oh, and a new single by popular music artists Hollywood Principle.

Here are the contents of the DLC:

Dominus (classic American muscle car)
Takumi (’90s-era Japanese street racer)
6 New Decals for both new Battle-Cars
5 New Paint Types
Brushed Metal
Carbon Fiber
Metallic Pearl
Pearlescent
Wood
2 New Rocket Boosts
Burnout
Nitrous
2 New Wheels
Cristiano (Soccer-themed rims)
Spinner (Working spinner wheels)

There are no new modes, spectating aside, and I don’t think there’s any need for them. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 all play like distinct modes as it is, and there’ll be ranked matches in 3v3 when the patch lands.

We’re currently revving our engines for some Rocket Paper Shotgun action. My goalkeeping skills are unmatched.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

The patch is out TODAY should be about 6pm-ish uk time according to the rocket league twitter account.

• Sp4rkR4t says:

No patch notes yet, I hope they have fully solved the rubber banding issue.

• crowleyhammer says:

What is the rubber banding issue?

I understand the concept but how does it apply to Rocket League?

• ironman Tetsuo says:

A confusion of terms I think, it’s not rubber banding ala Mario Kart (back runners move faster) but more a latency issue causing Gameplay to speed up and slow down constantly as it struggles matching up everyone’s game state

• crowleyhammer says:

Oh ok i haven’t noticed that but i havent played it much online yet, i assumed what people were referring to was A.I replacing drop outs and playing like Messi (a car version but messi all the same).

• Xzi says:

Is that something they even can fix? At current, it puts low-ping players at a slight disadvantage, but if you make the game keep up with those players, that means high-ping players would get completely decimated because the ball and other cars would never be where they expected.

• DeepFried says:

Well you could just match high pingers to high pingers and low pingers to low pingers. Though I guess thats a lot of work for the matchmaking server

2. theirongiant says:

A great, great game but desperately needs some sort of online competition mode, something similar to fifa’s seasons.

Hodge says:

Calling it: this is RPS game of the month for August.

(it deserves to be!)

4. David Bliff says:

It really can’t be overstated just how good this game is. Videos don’t come close to capturing it. You need to feel it.

It’s honestly arguably the best soccer game ever.l: FIFA is a good soccer team sim. Rocket League somehow captures the feel of actually playing soccer: the emphasis on pace and positioning are all in there.

I do hope they’ll consider adding some unusual maps eventually, with terrain features and stuff. Maybe as a separate game mode to keep the current one pure as it is now.

• draglikepull says:

I agree that videos don’t really do it justice. I thought the game looked pretty boring after seeing some videos, but I eventually relented and bought it after hearing so much about how great it is. And it really is great. Something about the way everything comes together between the physics and the chaos just really feels good to play.

• DeepFried says:

Look its good for what it is, but its not messiah of games some people are making it out to be, its good for some occasional quick fun but it gets boring if you play for more than 40 minutes.

• David Bliff says:

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man. My friends and I play it for hours on end and only stop when life gets in the way.

• eljueta says:

more than 40 minutes? I’m logging in at 20 hours already, I accomplished almost nothing the whole Weekend because of it.

5. trjp says:

I’d pay for a DLC which makes other players who quit-out of a game wear a massive cock hat for the next one ;0

Seriously, they need to penalise quitters more than they do – not getting some points which have almost no point isn’t much of a deterrent.

Afso – I’ve never seen a multiplayer game which has zero concept of building community before – no way to add people you’ve played with as friends or block people who quit or indeed even have a way of seeing who they were once a game is over!?

It’s a fun game but there is pretty much NOTHING going-on outside of that 5 mins of fun – and I think that’ll cripple it’s longer-term appeal (more hats or arenas is not the solution) – not sure what IS but there’s no lack of reference material to work from.

• Xzi says:

Surely this is because it’s cross-platform and Steam doesn’t do friends lists in the same way the PS4 does? Hopefully there is some way to better integrate the two, as there will be a lot more cross-platform games going forward. With the PS4 and XB1.

• David Bliff says:

Play with friends? It’s a radically different game when you can coordinate verbally, and if you’re not doing that you probably won’t do as well in the ladder. The game has a really high skill ceiling, both individually and for teams.

6. jon_hill987 says:

So when is the RPS vs PCG match?

7. JiminyJickers says:

I got this for free on the PS4 and love it. Probably will buy the PC version down the road cause PC is better.