Team17 Announce Their Game Again

Team17 have once again announced that they’re making their game once again and- hey, wait, this latest version of Worms will actually do a few things different.

With over twenty Worms games in the bag and few changes to the turn-based annelid artillery annihilation formula in yonks, Team17 are shaking things up a bit with next year’s Worms WMD. It’ll introduce concealing buildings, for starters, only granting internal vision to players with a worm inside. Its new art style is pretty cute too. Oh, and it has tanks. Driveable, hopping tanks.

Worms WMD is meant to feel – that nebulous ‘feel’ of a game – a bit like 1999’s Worms Armageddon, Team17 told PCGamesN in their preview. Then it does have tanks too. Worms can take over vehicles by hopping onto them, blasting their mighty guns and moving around a little. Sounds like they’re not invincible or overwhelmingly powerful, though.

Buildings offer a little more cover. They’re little nests of corridors worms can duck into, which conceals them from every player outside that building. You can pop off shots and they won’t know quite where you are.

How does this all work out in practice? PCGamesN and Gamesreactor played it and have written words to relay their experiences. The rest of us will need to wait for its launch in “early 2016.”

1. Josh04 says:

will be like , say developers.

2. Deadly Sinner says:

Worms: Revolution was the most fun game in the series since Armageddon. Unfortunately, no one plays it. Hopefully this one is at least as good and can sustain even a small playerbase.

• oWn4g3 says:

They will never sustain a playerbase when they keep releasing Worms titles every 6 months. I have always been a big fan but it seems like the creativity is lacking in the newer titles. I don’t know if adding buildings and tanks does benefit the game in any way but for me it feels like adding a bunch of features just for having an excuse to release a new title. The last Worms I have played for a longer period of time was the excellent Worms: Reloaded (2010) which felt like a celebration and remastering of the well known formula. For me since then the series went downhill.

I wish that at some point they would have gone for a Worms base game that they keep expanding regularly with proper, well designed paid and unpaid additions. That way they would keep a somewhat stable playerbase and extend the lifespan of the game, especially for a 2D cartoon game that doesn’t really need any significant graphical updates in my opinion.

• Kitsunin says:

Yeah, it’s really a shame they’re going the way of these weak, yearly iterations. If there’s one way to kill the community of a series which already isn’t too terribly popular, that’s it. They have iterated properly in the past, too, with Worms to Worms 2, Worms 3D to Worms 4, which is how all series should work. But those true leaps forward between titles seem to be generally much less common nowadays. Which is understandable, I suppose, but no less bad for multiplayer games.

3. Orillion says:

Huh. The idea of tanks is cool, and I like the idea of buildings, but in practice Worms is best played with everyone sitting in the same room, so I don’t know how much that’ll actually factor into game play.
    The really important thing to get right in this release, however, is performance. From the Steam forums I could tell that Clan Wars would have been a waste of money unless I was prepared to get a dedicated physics card.

4. RuySan says:

Team 17 made a living ripping off other games, and even after some iterations, Worms wasn’t as fun as Scorched Earth.

• Jekhar says:

Oh my, aren’t you edgy?

• RuySan says:

Assassin – Strider
        Project X – Gradius
        Super Frog – Sonic, and every other console platformer of the time
        Worms – Scorched Earth

and so on.

For me they were slick games, but completely soulless. They looked like PD games on steroids.

• Da5e says:

Scorched Tanks is where it’s at.

• Jekhar says:

Sadly, the only artillery variant i knew back then was Tanx on the Amiga. Was quite fun, although very reduced in scope. You had only one weapon iirc.

• Sin Vega says:

I still remember the voice clips from that. And the weird noise the menu buttons made. “WOOO-BWAP!”, or something.

• Nasarius says:

I preferred GORILLAS.BAS

• MadTinkerer says:

Beat me to it! But yes, Gorillas.BAS is clearly the greatest example of the genre, bar none. You can even mess with the source code!

• pullthewires says:

Personally I found Worms to be loads more fun than Scorched Earth. So, um, yeah. What was Alien Breed a rjp-off of (other than the Alien film franchise, of course)?

• Titler says:

Aliens the film crossed with Gauntlet, or if you want to be even more specific, the wave of cheap Gauntlet clones which came after, like Mastertronic’s Storm that tried to hide their origins by changing the setting a little and by using Mr-Arms-Out-Not-An-Elf-Or-A-Wizard-At-All.

Worms incidentally was originally not even produced in house; Team17 had a few other hits on the Amiga, but really, this is the what, umpteenth re-release of Worms now? Originality stopped being on their shopping list a long time ago, and that’s when they’re not being whining childish hate-mongers…

… eh, C-Monster? You know what I’m talking about. Well, he would, if he was still here anyway. He’s not, is he?!

• RuySan says:

Thanks for sharing this page, since it reminded me of how much Body Blows was a rip-off of SF2.

Their best games, like Quak and Apydia, weren’t even made in-house,

• Pantalaimon says:

Ahaha, that brought back some memories! Yeah, that whole AP/Team 17 debacle was kind of ridiculous. I think it’s safe to say that they had a few good ideas and they’ve been content to milk them for decades rather than creating new stuff, alternatively refining or breaking them. Not sure what else there is to say at this point, not holding my breath for a revolutionary new Worms game but I still have enough fond memories of the 90s games that I’ll give it a look in.

• Ergates_Antius says:

I was just thinking “I remember when the first Worms came out. I am very old”.
          But now I know I’m not the only one so I dont’ feeel so bad.
          Thanks for that.

• GameOverMan says:

I loved the Destruct mini-game inside Tyrian 2000.

5. The First Door says:

Good gravy, do I hate the new worms games. They just feel all sorts of wrong to play! Anyway, I really hope they mean what they say about this feeling better.

Also, I hope they just get rid of the 4 different types of worms, it was just overly confusing, especially when playing with friends.

6. cakeisalie says:

Maybe they could have another go at remaking Alien Breed, but maybe this time using Valve’s tragically neglected and forgotten freebie game Alien Swarm as a template.

7. Wowbagger says:

Worms 2 is the only thing you need, it has the lovely graphical style, level editor and a good selection of weapons without being stupid about it.

8. wraithgr says:

The new worms games so far have felt like a massive downgrade from worms:armageddon. Why only 4 players max in the new games? The usual excuse of “otherwise players would wait too long for their turn” seems inane. With 8 players at 30″ per turn that is maximum 3.5 minutes between turns during which people would either be figuring out what to do or laughing at what their teammates/opponents just did or whatever else. Worms is meant to be a party game, 2v2 is not bad but the bare minimum for a game to be called “multiplayer” anymore…
    Other than that, the new graphics are ok but underwhelming vs. the progress that should have been made…

9. misterT0AST says:

Still waiting for some developer to grow a pair and give me a good 3d Worms.
    Believe it or not but Worms 3d with an editor, and maybe a free to play business model with moba-esque abilities could be the next big thing.
    If done well.
    Which will never happen.

• Razumen says:

I really liked Worms 3D, it had so much potential and was actually pretty fun. Unfortunately it needed more refinement to make the transition to 3D easier, that and no level editor was a huge downside.

• gwathdring says:

I thought Worms 4 took Worms 3D and really ramped it up. :)

10. int says:

Oily boid gets the woim.

11. Synesthesia says:

Are the levels still smaller than a cheap london flat? They keep fucking their one game up. Armaggedon was the last passable one.

12. AlexW says:

It’s baffling that they still haven’t realised the ONE thing they need to do to ensure sales of their new Worms games: fix the damn netcode! It’s night-and-day playing Worms Armageddon on Steam versus Reloaded or anything newer, the difference between play passing back and forth properly or it halting for thirty seconds between rounds and wasting the players’ time. Combined with the low worm count and rubbish customisation, there’s just no reason to switch from the still-compatible Armageddon.

13. criskywalker says:

I would love if they revisited their old franchises eventually: Project X, Alien Breed and Assassin.

14. Gilead says:

Interesting that they announced this just after releasing their incredibly lazy Worms World Party ‘remaster’.

I assume WWP Remastered was meant to be a cheap way to raise awareness of the Worms series and lead into the announcement of this new game, but in fact what’s happened is that people have been reminded how lazy Team17 have become as they release yet another slipshod product and jettison it almost immediately in favour of the next game.

Admittedly something I already knew after Reloaded/Revolution/Clan Wars. And yet I keep buying the games in the hope that *this* time they’ll make a real effort.

(Worms Crazy Golf was pretty good, though.)