See U Soon: Ubi’s Survival Horror FPS Zombi Comes To PC

One novel exclusive from Ubisoft for the Wii U launch in 2012 was ZombiU, a survival horror FPS set in a zombie-infested London. It was designed a fair bit around the the WiiU tablet controller doodad, but it seemed like this wouldn’t be enough to keep it off other platforms. For a long time, it was. But, late enough that I’m actually surprised by news I had once anticipated, Ubisoft have now announced that ZombiU is coming to Windows. Or Zombi [official site], as it’s now known. Soon, too: August 18th.

With London going to heck, you’re trying to find your way out while the zombies are trying to eat you. It has a mild form of permadeath too. If they get you, you’re a gonner, and you will wake up as a new survivor able to reclaim your items if you can find your now-shambling corpse and put it down. Supplies are limited and health is low, see.

The Windows version has a wider (and slightly adjustable) field of view, adds melee weapons beyond the trusty cricket bat, and makes the flashlight more powerful but more likely to draw zombies. It’s a bit of balance tweaking, really.

To up the spooks, the Wii U required folks to peer down at the tablet to play in their limited inventory, showing the main character rummaging in real-time on the main screen, and this version tries to replicate that a little by still having the game running while the inventory takes up most the screen. The tablet was used the tablet to scan environments too. Sadly, Zombi is losing the multiplayer mode which let a second player place zombies around the level.

Ubi’s blog post has more details on changes, if you’re curious.

Ubisoft Montpellier’s game is being ported over by Straight Right, an Australian porting house who handled the Wii U versions of Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex: HR. Looks like this is their first time going in the opposite direction.

You know, Ubi, the name Zombi is already taken by a band.

1. Spluff says:

Most of what made this game noteworthy was linked to its Wii U functionality. I can’t see this port being worth the money.

• SIDD says:

Agreed.
      At least they should make some sort of integration with a tablet to keep just a little bit of the novelty of the original.

• devland says:

Tablet integration? Really?
        Did you really enjoy ubis tablet integrations so much that you want more?
        Do you want to get mobile app gated content because that’s how you get it.

• SIDD says:

I’m not familiar with any previous Ubi PC/tablet integrations so can’t really comment.

My point was that what seemed to make ZombiU stand out in an already “zombie saturated” market was the special WiiU controller and if they want this to stand out on the PC market they need something similar.

So forgive me for not being familiar with what you seem to think was an absolutely disastrous previous experience with PC/Tablet game integration … but perhaps you could tone down the passive aggressive attitude a bit and take a moment educate me/us instead?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Ubi did that previously and especially on Unity, but that integration was mostly a gating process.

I get your point though, but only if it’s entirely optional and doesn’t lock anything.

• Askis says:

I don’t think tablet integration with a game is that easy.
            What kind of OS is your tablet running, iOS, Android, Windows?
            Making some solution for all possible variants would be a nightmare, especially since you’d need to be streaming some part the game to the tablet.

And in the WiiU’s case you wouldn’t have to put down your main controller to use the “tablet” functionality, on PC, unless you’ve got the expensive Razer Edge, you’d need to pick up your tablet and let go of your mouse and/or keyboard or put down your controller, whatever you’re using.
            Really not ideal, especially when lots of people playing it on PC/XBone/PS4 might not have a tablet suitable for integrating with the game (or even no tablet at all).

2. RedViv says:

Man, ALWAYS with the trend of releasing updated versions of a game under the same title. So confusing! she said, joking to overcome actual OLDschool game memories rushing in.

3. chuckieegg says:

Oh, oh. I can see some sort of Windows 10 / Windows Tablet tie-in coming….

Thirith says:

I played this on the WiiU and very much liked the world, gameplay and many of the WiiU-specific controls. In the end I didn’t finish it, though, since I sucked at aiming on the WiiU controller.

Some sites call it a zombie shooter, but it’s definitely more of a survival horror game in first person, with some decidedly Dark Souls-y elements. Even if you’re tired of zombies, it’s worth checking out a review or two, because the game brings some interesting, unique things to the table.

5. karnak says:

UBI and Zombi have come a long way:
    link to mobygames.com

• Kefren says:

Amiga? I played this on the Spectrum!

• brulleks says:

I wondered if there was a connection. I never played it, but I remember the original’s review in Your Sinclair (and probably Crash, but in the Whizzer and Chips world of Spectrum journalism, I was firmly a YS-ite).

6. rocketman71 says:

Lost me at Ubi.

7. Iskariot says:

Zombies Again?

Please UBI, or anyone, give me a Vampire Bloodlines like Vampire action RPG in an open world setting.
    Nobody is doing that, despite the fact that Vampires are as popular as ever.

• dethtoll says:

That’s exactly why they shouldn’t.

Harlander says:

Dontnod are bringing out Vampyr at some point, that ought to sate your infernal hunger for a bit

• Darth Gangrel says:

Vampyr is coming out sometime 2017, which is pretty far off, but at least the Vampire the Masquerade modding scene is still running.

8. kevmscotland says:

I’m actually pleased at this announcement. Been hoping they would bring the game to another system because I thought the concept looked brilliant and there aren’t many proper zombie survival games that have been done well.

Awaiting to see the price tag however. I’m not paying the typical Ubisoft price of £49.99 for a game thats 3 years old and a console port.

9. Uglycat says:

I want a zombie survival game where you have to survive as a zombie.

10. Saarlaender39 says:

Alice O’Connor: “You know, Ubi, the name ZombiE is already taken by a band.”

I guess, that’s why they went with Zombi – sans E. ;)

Not to mention (again), that Ubi has a backstory with Zombi:

• Geebs says:

I have no great love for UBIsoft, but I’m certain that title wasn’t an attempt to rob Zombi.

zapatapon says:

I also immediately wondered if the title was an intentional reference to Ubi’s roots.

That chiptune music brings back memories!

11. ScubaMonster says:

One of the cool things I liked about this game was when you died, you started up with a new character and could run across the old one as a zombie, kill them, and get your old stuff.

12. KastaRules says: