Swedish Horror Story: Fran Bow Launches August 27th

The trailer for Killmonday Games’ first big release Fran Bow [official site] is a doozy – think The Shining by way of Emily The Strange, stylistically creepy with a sort of ’90s scarygirl twang. The story goes something like this: a girl with her best friend/cat are witness to the gruesome murder of her parents. They escape into the woods, only to be split up when she finds herself recovering from shock at an oppressive mental institution for children. There’s a variety of weird things that unfold: skeletal men and clockwork trees, ghosts, a blurring between what’s real and isn’t.

It’s the work of Natalia Figueroa and Isak Martinsson, known best for their work on a couple of short films and music videos. Fran Bow was funded all the way back in 2013 through Indiegogo, slowly simmering away as the duo toiled – Figueoa on art and animation and Martinsson on code. It’s an impressive work. There’s some sweet Hirst-style art in there too.

The game is coming to Steam and GOG on August 27th, with a demo set to release that same day. In the meantime you can lock yer looking spheres on the trailer:

1. Jalan says:

Been some time since I last thought about this one. Good to see it didn’t just become a disappointing crowdfunding success story that delivered nothing to its backers.

2. Lars Westergren says:

Weird name. Why didn’t they call it Rymdskräck?

There is an ongoing Kickstarter for a nice looking hand-animated adventure game with a girl protagonist, from the people who made Tormentum. It’s called Tsioque. Less horror than this or Tormentum, but some dark themes apparently. I normally keep Kickstarter talk to the dedicated forum thread, but this time I thought the similarities were enough to be worth a mention.

link to kickstarter.com

• All is Well says:

Yeah, where’s the “Exactly what the name says”-factor? I mean, she’s not even wearing a bow.

3. Freud says:

These types of games don’t really work for me as horror games. I need more immersion for it to work. They might work as stories if the writing is good enough, of course.

• KevinLew says:

Did you play the free demo? This game is more interesting to me than ten-thousand jump scare games. I don’t want to spoil it, but the Pills mechanic in the game is one of the most brilliant things that I’ve seen in a game. It’s extremely unsettling.

• All is Well says:

How are you playing the demo? All the links say “Coming Soon” on their webpage.

• UraniaOrwell says:

The demo was an alpha demo, which now it’s pretty outdated, that’s why you don’t find it on the website. The alpha demo was mainly intended for the Indiegogo campaign.

A new official demo will come shortly. :D