The Witcher Is Getting A Pen & Paper RPG Spin-Off

In a move that can only mean they’ve been receiving my daily letters recreating The Witcher [Official Site] for someone whose heart will only recognise games pre-1995, CD Projekt Red are teaming up with the company behind Cyberpunk 2020 to bring The Witcher to tabletops.

Here’s their press release prose:

“The Witcher Role-Playing Game will feature a myriad of spells, rituals, and curses; favorite gear and items from the entire Witcher series including a bestiary of devilish monsters players can face during their adventures. The system will provide all the necessary tools to create and play out your own adventures and become everything from a battle-hardened monster slayer to a merchant kingpin controlling a vast network of contacts.”

The whole thing will work off of the Fuzion role-playing system that was developed by R. Talsorian Games for Cyberpunk. Imagine Cyberpunk 2020 meets Star Hero, for connoisseurs of the sort. How exactly that plays out isn’t mentioned, although it’s worth noting that the Fuzion system basically allows paves the way for huge customization; So fingers crossed they’re cool with me introducing my lusty Canadian beaverboy character into the lore.

The tabletop release is slated to hit sometime mid-2016. No word on price on this one yet. RED’s next game after they wrap up The Witcher 3 will, of course, be a video game spin-off of Cyberpunk 2020 – Cyberpunk 2077.

1. geldonyetich says:

I understand the series originally came from a series of books. So paper to computer to tabletop. That Geralt certainly gets around…

• Paul says:

Also a MOBA and a boardgame. CDP goes all in, all that remains is a high budget movie and an HBO TV Show.

• GameCat says:

There is actually a Witcher movie and TV series but don’t bother watching them. Really.

• vahnn says:

What about The Witcher animated TV show for Saturday morning cartoons?

• SirYoggi says:

From what I can remember CDPR have rights to video game, board game, comics and animation series. Not to Live actors TV series of a movie.

• thekelvingreen says:

Yes, and the original game was based on the Neverwinter Nights engine and NWN was based on D&D3, so it’s full circle indeed.

• Kodaemon says:

There already was a pen & paper RPG of The Witcher which predated the video games. In Polish, of course. Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni.

• Cinek says:

That game was published shortly after the movie and… it was mediocre. I actually played it and… meh. Wasn’t too great. Not as bad as the movie, but still.

2. Morte66 says:

R Talsorian haven’t done a good RPG ruleset for quite a while, I think.

Phasma Felis says:

They haven’t done anything in quite a while. Years and years, IIRC. Just kept some of their old stuff in print. Glad to see them getting back in the game, so to speak.

• Dawngreeter says:

Cyberpunk 203X has been such an unmitigated disaster that they literally had no room to do absolutely anything. No one would’ve been stupid enough to buy a book from them after the Barbiepunk Incident. And it’s not like Cybergeneration has been any better. Early Cyberpunk 2020 is literally, and I mean that “literally” very literally, the only good thing they’ve ever done.

And when I say good, I mean – it works only if you’re looking back at 80’s cyberpunk with a kind of bewildered amusement that carries with it zero expectations for the game to actually work within the science fiction genre. Cyberpunk 2020 to Science Fiction is what Steampunk is to history. Furthermore, it is the only known incarnation of cyberpunk emulation that actively subverts the basic postulates of the genre – it literally treats technology as something that makes you less than human to the point of becoming a psychotic killer.

Not that I didn’t love it. I did. It was the first RPG I played that dared suggest players could have any function other than dealing a certain amount of damage to an opponent in an empty 4×3 room. I remember much of the fiction. I still quote it often (“Bang”, said Johnny. The hand convulses. “Bang”, said the gun.). The characters are close to my heart. I wish I still had the sort of youthful naivety that could allow me to fall in love with a thing like Cyberpunk 2020.

Anyway. My expectations for the Witcher RPG are so low that if it turns out to be a bad game, I’ll be impressed.

3. just_passing_by says:

Better have two than one! link to witcher.wikia.com
    But to be hones I have no idea if this was any good.

• MadMinstrel says:

I had that, but lost it somewhere. I remember having fun with it, it was not bad at all.

• Beowulf says:

Andrzej Sapkowski actually fathered a rpg system himself. It was relatively simple (well, pretty basic and barebones to be frank). Its name was “Oko Yrhedessa”. I played it in my early teens.

link to boardgamegeek.com
      link to darkshire.net
      link to polish wiki entry: link to pl.wikipedia.org

• plugav says:

Awww! Oko Yrrhedesa was actually my first RPG! I remember it fondly, though I did move on to less basic systems (specifically Warhammer FRP) as soon as I could.

(And then I moved on to more basic systems, because I can no longer be bothered to memorise rulebooks and stat out NPCs. So yeah, “time is a flat circle” and all that.)

4. Chiron says:

WFRP 2edition is already a good fit, just tweak magic a bit and add bonuses via potions

• Nasarius says:

Oh neat, I thought WFRP 2e was out of print and completely unavailable, but now I see it’s available as print or PDF from DriveThru. It is a magnificent game for all your dark gritty fantasy needs.

5. gunny1993 says:

I hope they actually try making a good game that firs the universe rather than just re-skinning DnD with a fancy sourcebook and plenty of name-drops.

Licensed tabletop games as well as video games have a habit of not being very good.

• Nasarius says:

There are some bad ones, but there’s also a lot of good licensed stuff, from Star Wars (West End Games) in the late 80s to Dragon Age (Green Ronin) now. As long as you hand the project to an experienced team, you’ll probably get something good.

I’m not really sure about R. Talsorian, though. I think Cyberpunk 2020 is fairly well regarded, but they haven’t done much else of note.

Phasma Felis says:

It hurts me deeply that Mekton Zeta is not considered “of note.”

(And a lot of people think Castle Falkenstein is one of the best RPGs* ever made. It’s Mekton for me, though.)

*Real RPGs, aka “tabletop”.

• demicanadian says:

I’m quite certain that R. Talsorian will not make a D&D derivative, but I’m wondering what system they’ll use.
      Fantasy edition of Friday Night Firefight could be interesting, because, you see, it’s a combat system without hit points, and so it’s very brutal and “realistic” – more than WHRP for sure.

6. MajorManiac says:

I can’t wait to draw an erotic picture of myself. Which can then be swapped with another player after an ingame liason.

Adds a whole new level to filling in the character sheet.

• Bugamn says:

Does that mean that all those girls in the first Witcher game got a card from Geralt?

• Chiron says:

They got something from him alright, but a course of antibiotics should sort it out

• Bugamn says:

I know it’s a joke, but I think I remember that one of the reasons that make witchers so popular with women is that they don’t transmit anything.

7. gwathdring says:

I don’t see the Witcher world being distinctive in a way that makes for meaningfully novel mechanical distinctions that aren’t already made in other systems. I’m curious to see if they reskin something (which could be fine) or try to shoehorn in a new system (which could be fine, but probably won’t be).

• gunny1993 says:

If they focused on monster hunting mechanics it would probably be a excellent reskin of that monster hunting game I cant remember the name of, think it uses the apoc system

8. Wizardry says:

Maybe if they adapt this P&P RPG to the computer we’ll finally get a Witcher cRPG!

9. aircool says:

I can imagine the Warrior skill tree…

Quick Attack
    Strong Attack

10. Jane Doe says:

So, when do we get a party-based RPG in the Witcher-universe? All this hack’n’slay with superb storytelling is fun, but I would really like to have people like Keira and Zoltan along for the *entire* ride, not just when they feel like it.