What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Pinch and a punch for the first of the month – and no returns! Now that I’ve left you all broken and bruised, you may as well stay in and play video games? But which oh what? Perhaps you’ll find inspiration in discovering what Team RPS are playing this weekend:

Adam: I fly to Cologne for Gamescom early next week so this weekend I will mostly be playing with a spreadsheet that contains all of my appointments. To win the game, I have to plot my way through the gargantuan halls, moving from one meeting to the next, with pitstops for food, drink and cigarette breaks built into the route. I lose the game if I miss an appointment or die.

If I have time, I’ll also be playing Endless Space because I’m talking to Amplitude about the sequel over in Germany and I’d like a refresher beforehand. I’ve played so much Endless Legend that I’ve forgotten what I did and didn’t like about Space. More than anything, I remember being impressed by the writing and disappointed by the combat, even though I liked the latter more than most people seem to. When I’m done with that, I’ll watch the Dropsy trailer on repeat until I fall to sleep.

Alec: After a period of nervousness about it (football is my Achille’s heel, and cars are my other one) I finally threw myself into Rocket League. You probably don’t need me to tell you that it’s brilliant, but bloody hell, it’s brilliant. Yeah, it’s cars and balls, but it’s also essentially a superhero game, and one in which every micro-second of a match is breathlessly exciting. I’m also finally playing King of Dragon Pass now its rejiggered version is out on PC. Its slow-burn dynastic dilemmas are about as opposite to Rocket League as you get, but it’s no less brilliant.
Alice: I’ve been run-down all week following a truly foolish hangover, so I’ve been putting off games I really wanted to play. Now I’m recovered, I’m so very keen to launch into Life Is Strange Episode 4 then, of course, strap on my rocketcar for Rocket League. I’d like to play more Magic Duels too, to see if its free-to-play feels… not awful?

I’d also like to catch up on some of the early rounds of Dota 2‘s The International tournament ahead of everything really kicking off on Monday. As I watch, I shall send reactions to Pip rolling around her hotel bed trying to recover from jetlag – poor dear’s flown out to that there US of A to see it all live and surely needs a GOOD FRIEND like me to offer sympathy.

Graham: Look, there’s about 20 unplayed games installed on my computer, but I’m not going to play any of them. Rocket League is too immediate, too fun, too exciting not to spend all my available game time playing that. I’ve almost unlocked most of what there is to unlock, which means I’m getting to the stage where I need to start trying to get better at the game if I want to maintain a feeling of progress.

John: I’m really hoping to take a look at Kyn, but I’ve a sneaking suspicion I’ll return to my quest to collect all the stars in Talos Principle. It needs to be done, obviously, or there will be all these stars lying around that people might trip over.

I also imagine I’ll be playing a lot of peekaboo, and a fair amount of Let’s Not Drink The Whole Bath, Eh? Both are free to play, and yet I seem to keep paying and paying and paying.

Philippa: What is a computer game?

But you, dear reader, what are you playing this weekend?

Andy_Panthro says:

This weekend I will be mostly playing:
    Dark Souls – I’m having Basilisk problems at the moment
    The Swindle – Finding this enjoyable, but rock-hard
    Rocket League – quite fun
    and maybe PES2015 for a bit if I get too frustrated with some of the above!

• PikaBot says:

If the basilisks are giving you trouble, there’s no reason you can’t just go around them and come back later. There’s no point in the game where you HAVE to fight basilisks to proceed.

• Doomstar says:

They can be a pain while climbing down the tree though. The three on the platform while you’re trying to get down a ladder can be bad. And since the curse affect is so terrible. I do remember them being a trial.

I’m playing Souls again getting ready to play through 2 with a friend before moving on to Bloodborne and girding myself for Dark Souls 3 next year. We stopped playing after he was being ground into dust trying to get to and beat Seath. But after a long break and him grinding through Demon’s Souls a few more times Seath was killed second time. Now we’re playing through at sort of the same pace. So much fun playing co-op in it and I hope there more opportunities to do so in Bloodborne and DS3.

I’ll probably also play Rocket League.

Andy_Panthro says:

I am really hoping the coop in DS3 is good, I’ll be playing it on PS4 probably, so it will give me the opportunity to ask a friend for help.

I’ve watched a youtube series on Bloodbourne (Matt Lees’ playthrough), and I enjoyed that, but not enough to play it. I like the otherworldly horror and victorian-era style but I’m less fond of the look of the combat.

Andy_Panthro says:

The curse effect isn’t as bad as it used to be, only 1/2 health (which is bad enough in my opinon), rather than the effect stacking.

The part the pains me the most (this is in The Depths, the obligatory sewer level), is that I was very close to a boss section but decided to explore more instead of heading through the fog gate. I have ended up losing several thousand souls (not sure exactly how many, but quite a lot for this point in the game).

Tempted to just head back out and try New Londo Ruins instead (beneath firelink shrine), although my last attempt saw me killed in an ambush by half a dozen ghosts.

• Gpig says:

@Andy_Panthro Depths is the obligatory sewer level, but the next area, Blighttown, is the Dark Souls’ obligatory “you should have been grateful for the previous area”. It’s a sewer level situated directly above hell, so it makes some sense, but ugh. They do the same thing with the obligatory catacomb level.

Also, aren’t the New Londo enemies extremely high level?

• laotze says:

For the love of god, skip Blighttown. There is no better way to ruin your first experience of DS than by attempting to slog through that nightmare for relatively pitiful rewards when you could have just bypassed 90% of it by taking the Valley of Drakes entrance.

Definitely worth returning for a quick item-grabbing run-through once you’ve mastered the game mechanics, but I’ve seen way too many newcomers ragequit DS because of that zone’s shit design when they could’ve been spending their time in the much more gratifying Artorias of the Abyss content or what-have-you.

Andy_Panthro says:

I have spent this afternoon in New Londo and grinding for Titanite shards. To boost any of my equipment any more would require better consumables than I have (there are other weapons I could upgrade, but I have a Broadsword +5 and the Drake Sword, plus the Elite Knight armour all +3).

New Londo Ruins is full of ghosts, but they aren’t difficult to kill, it’s just when you get lots of them in a small room that I struggle (well, I say “struggle”, what I mean is “die repeatedly”). I did find a shortcut past the initial bit, but the part after that has a group of ghosts attack you on a narrow stair above the water (or head inside, which is just as bad because they surround you in a small space).

I have been to the Valley of Drakes, but damn those things are tough (and breathe lightning?). I might give that a shot though, since I’m pretty much stuck elsewhere. It’s either that or head back to the Depths. I have killed the Giant Rat mini-boss, so I’m sure I could make it back to the fog gate. Not sure what that boss is like though.

• Kitsunin says:

Is Blighttown really that bad? I dealt with the Catacombs before the Depths, so I was a bit ahead of the curve, but I really enjoyed it — it was a really interesting environment. On the other hand, I disliked the Depths because yawn, sewers.

• fish99 says:

Blighttown isn’t that bad at all. Most of it’s reputation comes from the framerates on the console version where you had to do the whole section at about 10 fps. No such issues on PC. Honestly if you take your time it’s not hard to get through, and there’s a bonfire half way down.

• Vandelay says:

Been playing Dark Souls recently myself (first time playing through, although third attempt to do so – it has finally clicked this time and I can at last join in with the love it receives,) and just passed through the Depths into Blighttown. I got incredibly pissed off by the Basilisks. They aren’t very hard to beat and my first time was actually really easy to get through. Unfortunately, I ran into an invader right after getting through them, who killed me. I then got cursed immediately when I tried to rush through the Basilisks again! I then find out a) how close I was to reaching a short cut to the bonfire and b) that I didn’t even need to go through them and could have just bypassed them. I had even already killed the giant rat that guards the path.

I was able to defeat the boss the followed shortly after without too much difficulty (although it would have been a lot easier with full health.) Blighttown was a struggle though. Fortunately, it isn’t that difficult to head back to the moss selling lady that has a Purging Stone and I wanted to head back to the armourer anyway to sort out some repairs for my lovely Warpick. Doing this made me realise just how far I had come with this game. Enemies that destroyed me previously were suddenly a cake walk and not just because my stats were much high than they had been. Makes me almost tempted to create a new character and go through those early stages again to pick up on all the little details I missed first time around when I was a blind panic to just get through it.

Andy_Panthro says:

I do wish DS was more about Co-op rather than PvP when it comes to humanity. I don’t see the attraction of PvP in a game like this, other than griefing.

• zentropy says:

Except being the best iteration of 3D fighting mechanics, you mean? Co-op is jolly fun and all, but essentially just breaks the AI and makes the game dumb.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

I’d love to play some Rocket League if the server lag wasn’t so bloody awful, it seems to have gotten even worse post-patch.

Thulsa Hex says:

Maybe try the US servers? I’m in the US and only experience lag and rubber banding when the game throws me into EU servers (it sometimes does this late at night). The times I have seen the lag have been pretty bad, though. Feel sorry for folks having to put up with that as it’s been nigh on flawless over here — apart from the odd CTD.

3. AriochRN says:

I finished Star Trek 25th Anniversary last week, I’d forgotten how much of an absolute F’Ker the final battle was – it took me easily over a dozen attempts. Judgement Rites is now in progress.
    I’m also about 10 hours into System Shock 2 – never played it when it came out for some reason. I nearly gave it the 3-fingered salute a pair of hours in due to the plastic guns and clown-car monster spawn rates, but after reading the readme and creating a user config to dial those aspects down to SS1 levels I’m enjoying it *immensely*.

Andy_Panthro says:

care to share that user config? I can handle the gun issue, but less so the endless monster spawn.

• AriochRN says:

Make “user.cfg” using Notepad in the SS2 directory and put:

no_spawn

in it. Monsters will still spawn but at a greatly reduced rate (story led spawns and alarm spawns are unaffected). There are another two variables you can tweak (lower_spawn_min and raise_spawn_rand) but no_spawn seems to be just right for me.

• fish99 says:

You can also tweak the gun degradation rate and some other stuff if memory serves, the info is all in the readme.

4. Cross says:

If i can find some time while visiting my parents, I’ll start a new campaign in Europa Universalis 4 as Denmark. FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

• Stellar Duck says:

We say fatherland don’t we?

Pretty sure it’s fædreland. I suspect it’s German influence again. We’re German, really.

5. JohnnyPanzer says:

I recently started writing about games and releasing Let’s Play videos, and it has had a positive effect on my gaming habits. I have a tendency to waste a lot of time being unable to just pick a damn game to play, but now that problem is solved: I’ll play whatever I’m covering, and I’ll play it a lot and for extended periods of time.

Currently it’s Offworld Trading Company and Door Kickers, and I’m having a blast. OTC in particular is tickling my fancy at the moment, so I might just start dabbling in multiplayer this weekend. I might also dip my toes in the Kerbal Space Program pool, it’s been a while since I played it and I miss it.

6. James says:

Finishing my KotOR 2 playthrough an the Star Wars Galaxies Emulator. Quite fun. Every bit as I remember it.

Then some Rocket League because Rocket League.

7. Awesomeclaw says:

I might check out the new Warframe update although when I played last night half the missions I tried were bugged in some way. I also started a new character on Path of Exile so I might play a bit more of that. Plus, the coverage of Cradle has made me want to go back and play some of the Myst games so I might install Myst 4 – the last few puzzles are rubbish but the two main ages are awesome IMO.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I’m also playing the Witcher 3 on and off but I think I might actually hate that game – CDP seem to have learned nothing from the previous two games, Geralt still controls poorly even after all the patches (with both movement settings), and the combat feels frustrating and arbitrary.

• geisler says:

Combat in the Witcher games has indeed always been a disaster, the thing that this 3rd one has going for it is at least some mildly interesting storytelling and world building. Those for me, were redeeming qualities.

I do sincerely hope though they implement better combat and overall gameplay in the Cyberpunk game.

• unguided says:

Waiting for Witcher 3 to be fully patched up.

8. Herzog says:

Wasteland 2 – Just killed all of the God´s Militia leadership. 50 hours into the game now. I took a break for 8 months after I finished Arizona, but now I am eager to finish the game.

• unguided says:

Please remember to get me some anti-dandruff shampoo (the character called Arjuna in Mannerites place).

9. Freud says:

I went back to my old save in FM2014, just wasting time. I don’t have the motivation to start a game for now, but I have Divinty Original Sin and Dark Souls 2 waiting for when I feel like it.

10. geisler says:

In remembrance of why i loathe multiplayer games without premade skilful teams, maybe i’ll play some Rocket League. In the normal queue watching people jump randomly at a ball with a “wherever it may land” mindset. Alternatively laddering, watching people leave after the first minute at the slightest chance of losing, even with the updated 15min ban.

Think i’ll just finish Road To Gehena instead.

Thirith says:

More GTA Online (probably heisting with some mates, which is some of the best coop fun I’ve had this side of Arma). Other than that, I’m flipping between The Last of Us, Journey and Fez on the PS4 (replaying Fez on a big screen is fun, and I love the feel of the world) – and I’m playing Metroid Prime 2 for the first time, thanks to a certain aquatic mammal. As much as I’ve enjoyed computer games over the last 30+ years, nothing beats Metroid Prime for well-paced exploration.

12. ToomuchFluffy says:

Well, I still am not quite finished with my first playthrough of “Necrovision” and I probably will leave that for next week or so, but I still wanted to recommend it. Personally, I actually like it more than “Painkiller”, simply because I found the setting and enemies to be more interesting and atmospheric. It might not take itself seriously most of the time, but the story is still surprisingly original in some ways. Not that it is exectuted in particularly convincing fashion most of the time, but I still quite like some of the ideas. (like the idea of a “Vampire”/Steampunk-culture ;-)).

I still have other games running, like a playthrough of “Master of Orion 2” with the Klackons, “Dungeon Keeper 2” and “Defense Grid”, but since I have started “Dungeon Siege 3” I have mostly been focusing on that. Considering all the negative feedback, I like it surprisingly much.

13. lowprices says:

I’ve spent the week on a family holiday in rural Wales, playing a game called “Look After My Cousins Baby In The Early Morning Hours So She Can Get Some Sleep For Once” It meant that my weeks gaming consisted of XCOM: EW, Monument Valley and Hitman Go on the Kindle Fire. Simple stuff that could be put down at a moments notice to attend to a needy 8 month old. That alternated with Temple Run 2 on the phone when the Fire needed to double as a screen to play Cbeebies on (“Yacki yacki yoggi, doo doo dee!”). Any parents out there? You are my heroes. I don’t know how anyone manages to do that full-time.

Now that I’m back in civilization, I’m playing The Swindle. I have a few annoyances with it so far, but mostly I’m loving it.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

That’s very kind of you. I have fond memories of holding my little ones while playing games so my wife could get some rest. It’s a great bonding experience when they’re too young to do anything but cry and sleep. 8 months old can be challenging to juggle that, I’m sure you found.

14. SuicideKing says:

Bits of Race the Sun, some Borderlands 2 Coop, and of course Arma 3.

15. prof_yaffle says:

The plan had been to, like John, collect all the stars in The Talos Principle, but then Shadow of Mordor came out on Linux so, let’s hunt some orc!

Good points: It’s fun sneaking around. picking the orcs off one by one, trying to avoid being overwhelmed by groups of them. One memorable moment is when an Orc found a body and rather than calling out he just pointed at it and started laughing. I guess they hadn’t been friends.

Bad point: The way my character changes sex during every cut scene.

• Dicehuge says:

Love the npc banter in that game. Lose it every time I hear an orc start a conversation with “I almost got set on fire the other day”

• prof_yaffle says:

Sneaking round listening to the orcs talking does add a lot of atmosphere to the game. Another great line was an orc claiming he was going to jump on the back of the next Caragor he saw in order to prove it is possible to ride one.

The game is full of these memorable moments. Like the time I was hiding in some bushes and saw an orc walking straight towards me. “Has he spotted… uh, no… he just needs the toilet. Charming.”

• EighthNote says:

Yeah, the Lithariel skin is pretty much the most pathetic attempt to put a female player character in a game I’ve ever seen.

Great game though.

• prof_yaffle says:

The skin system as a whole seems to be quite half arsed, though it’s more obvious when using the Lithariel skin. Which is odd since the rest off the game seems pretty well polished.

16. K33L3R says:

The first Rainbow Six Vegas game, love it, its such a good mix of tactical play, frantic gunfights and realistic level design that feels like you are moving though casinos not game levels (does stumble a few times though). While it’s a tactical shooter it isn’t fiddly and is more approachable than previous games in the series
    I hope whoever is making Siege takes a good look at the Vegas games and will take on board what made them so good in the first place

Also like to mention I’m playing this to give me a break from the Witcher 3, I’ve been playing it since it was released and very much need a break to avoid game fatigue

• fish99 says:

Loved the first Vegas game, really need to revisit it.

• Immobile Piper says:

Friday had me teach Arctic Scavengers and deckbuidling in general to my friends. And then we had a 4-round game of Galaxy Trucker, my group eats that game up despite us all getting horribly mauled in it. I’m just waiting for us to get proficient enough to break out the rough road/evil machinations from the expansion.

But worry not, I’m back to videogames for rest of the weekend. I’ve been replaying Space Marine lately. A fun linear romp. Smashing orks is just fun. And I might play a mission or two more of C&C 3, I’ve still got some Nod to clean out in the Balkans.

• Immobile Piper says:

Well that went to the wrong place.

Have fun with Vegas!

17. Geebs says:

Talos Principle – Road to Gehenna is pretty tricky and my brain is very tired so there’s been a lot of furrowed brows.

Wolfenstein – the New Order. I don’t know if it’s me or the games that’s changed, but it seems like all of the modern fps and immersive sims feel kind of terrible to play using mouse and keyboard, while a joypad feels much better. Why is that?

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I go back and forth. Some days I want nothing to do with a gamepad, and others I can’t stand stroking the keys.

Were you a console gamer first? I am, so sometimes I attribute it to that. Of course, sometimes it’s more relaxing to sit back from the monitor a bit with my hands relaxed at my lap with a controller.

• Geebs says:

My first proper FPS was Marathon back in the keyboard-only days, but I guess I have played a bunch of Halo as well. Still, I was KB & mouse for a few years in the middle,
        and if I was to play Quake there’s no way I’d do it with a joypad.

It’s odd, though; I think they’ve changed gameplay so that the feedback you get from a joypad is more immersive, and de-emphasised aiming so much that mouse and keyboard just doesn’t make the same kind of sense for single player. I think putting more emphasis on the finer grade of character movement (as opposed to aiming) you get with an analogue stick is part of it.

cairbre says:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I suppose they are developed for console first so I think you are right sometimes movement feels better with the stick. Can’t wait to see how the steam Controller feels.

• K33L3R says:

I can agree to that, but as time goes on and the discomfort I feel in my thumbs grows I just use the keyboard now
      Damn you RSI :(

• malkav11 says:

I’m pretty sure it’s you. I’ve never met a first person game that wasn’t pure torture to try to play with the gamepad.

Carra says:

Started playing Talos myself, already a few good puzzles, even in the first two hours. They’re the best kind of puzzles where you suddenly have a flash of insight and can finish them :)

18. Olaf the Merchant says:

A bit of light gaming this weekend, and doing singular missions or days in Valkyria Chronicles and Dead State. Not much of a gaming mojo going this week.

19. Sorbicol says:

Hoping to get some more time in Endless Legend while resisting the temptation to get stuck into XCOM The Long War mod. Which a lot of people are telling me I should.

20. karmafarm says:

I’m playing Windows Update this weekend. It’s not very interactive but there is plenty of suspense.

21. Risingson says:

Technobabylon. You know what? You all were right. It is beautiful, it is very well written, the puzzles are easy but very logical and appealing.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Just waiting for a sale. Glad to hear another one shout its praises.

Lars Westergren says:

I finally finished Pillars of Eternity, so now I’m restarting on Path of the Damned and expert mode.

Started up Life is Strange Episode 1 after all the good stuff RPS and my friends have been saying about it. Looks nice!

Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna, I solve a puzzle here and there when I take a break from chores or other games. Yep, it’s more Talos. I still really like it.

Dota 2. I was without internet for almost 2 weeks and practiced a lot against bots, and now I almost always win even with bots on Unfair (depends on the hero you pick though, gankers are difficult to practice with as your bot team mates always run away and abandon you instead of helping, and opposing team gets infinite dust and tp scrolls). Anyway – I was so looking forward to playing against real opponents again and see if I actually had gotten better or if it was just my imagination….and I got 2 utterly humiliating stomps in a row. As usual. Opposing team full of chainstunners and gankers (Tusk, Mirana, ES), my team flaming me and constantly demanding wards. I got the whole shebang. Dota 2 – the game I love to hate, but keep coming back to for some reason.

• unguided says:

Not waiting for the 2.0 patch? I was, but you inspired me to start again (was playing ironman, or whatever), mode and I died near the end :)

23. Philopoemen says:

SWTOR; getting all my alts up to level 60(and finishing all the stories) before Knights of the Fallen Empire drops, and SRR: Hong Kong is released, as I know where my time will be going after August 20 :)

24. epeternally says:

Some weird mix of Watch Dogs, Super Mario Bros 3, Transistor, and maybe Life is Strange. Still on episode two of that because of mental health concerns and a general major lack of spoons.

25. NathanH says:

Magic: Duels and Ziggurat, with a touch of Lord of the Rings LCG on OCTGN

26. fish99 says:

Finished Terraria last night (2 player co-op). Very fun game overall but it does turn into a look-check and grind towards the end, assuming you want to finish it (i.e. beat the moon lord). Having said all that I’m still amazed at the sheer amount of bosses, weapons, armour and enemies in the game and the gameplay is always fun.

Next up, I really should get back to Dying Light, but who knows.

27. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Shadow Warrior for me. Never finished it for some reason. I forgot how good it is, too.

Mungrul says:

I’ll probably be playing some Elite Dangerous later, and I’ll be hooking up with Thirith for GTA Online, but mostly I’ve been throwing myself back in to Dwarf Fortress. I’ve been faffing about with all sorts of similar games looking for that DF hit (Maia, Evil Genius, some Sims 4), but nothing is quite so absorbing.
    Maia has potential, but seems borked in more ways than DF at the moment, Evil Genius starts well, but then slows to a snail’s pace and has truly awful pacing problems, and I’m pretty much Simsed out at the moment from over-play.

Now I just have to deal with regular Were-thingy invasions in DF and the occasional annoying crash that erases the past hour’s work.
    While people regularly cite DF’s user interface as a barrier to entry, I find that once you’re past that, it’s the best game of its kind. Nothing else even comes close, and it’s incredible how stable it actually is considering how much it’s doing. I’m so happy I taught myself to play it all those years ago.

Metal’s still an issue on this embark, so my defense when things have attacked has been to emergency conscript the most useless dwarves and set them to attack the threat.
    After a nasty Were-Panther killed a good 20 dwarves, I’m now settling back in to my old habit of building a curtain wall around my entire play area. One poor mechanic survived an earlier Were-Monitor attack and is now walled off in his own section of the hospital, regularly changing into a lizard and back. He’s been there long enough to have become an engraver now, on top of which I’m attempting to utilise him in a trap. I just have to time letting him out very carefully. At least he seems happy, and just as he gets hungry or thirsty, the full moon rises and he changes. When he changes back, all hunger, thirst and injuries disappear. I see potentially great things in his future.
    Either that or a grisly and untimely death when he changes back to a dwarf in the middle of a fight.

• Rizlar says:

Reminds me of that time I managed to deduce a vampire’s identity and locked them in a tiny room overlooking a cavern deep down the mineshafts, halfway to the centre of the earth. Eventually their clothes all rotted away and they went completely mad. Pity, they could have been useful for office work or something.

I’m exclusively playing The Witcher 3 at the moment. Slightly behind the curve on this one but bloody hell, it’s really fantastic. Hopefully by the time I complete it new game+ mode will be out and I can continue Geralting around the lands finishing all the things. At the moment the story is just too compelling to be completionist but there must be so many more fantastic little stories I am missing out on by not pursuing every contract, talking to every intriguing peasant.

Ben King says:

I’m also trying to give Dwarf Fortress a shot,… I haven’t a clue what’s going on but I have figured out how to talk to people so far,… and that’s it. The options seem pretty spectacular if I can just get a handle on the basics. Also a couple of the Connor Sherlock games I haven’t played yet- Sanctuary is up tomorrow after wandering around TRIHAYWBFRFYH. Also just wrapped up a fun session of D&D5e… killed some Goblins and got KO’d but after a long rest and some more killing my monk reached level 2.

Big Dunc says:

LA Noire – I picked it up in the Steam summer sale and have been trying to finish it for the last month. I’m kinda enjoying it, but I find the driving a bit pointless and the interviewing of suspects to be very annoying. Also, long, non-skippable cutscenes, should be made a criminal offence.

Once LA Noire is finished, it’ll be on to a (probably short and failed) campaign of XCOM Long War.

30. plugav says:

This weekend I’m surrendering the desktop to my girlfriend, so that she can make some progress in “Jaws of Hakkon,” but I’ll probably get to doom a couple of adventurers in Darkest Dungeon as well.

We’re also considering getting on the Life os Strange bandwagon.

31. malkav11 says:

I’m pretty close to the end of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing and since it’s a stonking enormous 18 GB on my hard drive I’d like to close that gap so I can finally uninstall it (and move on to the probably equally huge sequel, but oh well). Not that there aren’t larger games these days but that footprint’s kind of mad for a fairly short ARPG. Still loving it, though.

I’d also like to play Life is Strange’s fourth episode, because holy hell that was a cliffhanger at the end of 3 and I suspect at least one of the gaming podcasts I listen to will discuss episode 4 in the near future. Maybe I’ll get around to Tales from the Borderlands -this- weekend. Maybe not.

Also probably want to fire up Marvel Heroes and check out the changes to the ARMOR event and Jean Grey, plus it’s a perfect podcast-listening game. And I reupped on SWTOR to get that free companion, so I should probably get back to pushing my Jedi Knight through their storyline. We’ll see!

32. geldonyetich says:

I’m mostly playing catch up this weekend: I kinda went and borked my Windows 7 installation after a RAID 5 migration. Oddly enough, the data seems to be in tact, but Windows 7 would have none of my shenanigans, so I reinstalled the OS onto another drive.

As far as gaming is concerned, I completed my Elite: Dangerous goal of getting an Imperial Clipper, and am in a existential crisis about whether or not it’s worth continuing grinding space rocks. Then there’s Caves of Qud, a game that seesaws between too easy and too hard depending on what mutations I have and the luck of what monsters spawn in my way.

I think I’d rather go back to Minecraft, but I need a better mod mix.

33. FilipMagnus says:

For me, I think I’ll play through the first episode of Blues and Bullets tonight, after which I’ll probably spend a few hours writing about it; I might dabble into SWTOR, and for some reason I decided to replay all the campaigns in Heroes 3.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and discovered that Witcher 3 is running even better than before, so I might continue Geralt’s journey to finish all the secondary quests.

Endless Legend is incredibly addictive – finaly started playing it, and I disappear for hours at a time. Started out with the Argent Mages, which, if you know me, is not at all surprising. It’s intimidatingly large; and I haven’t even grabbed the first expansion yet. I can definitely see why it was RPS’s Game of The Year (correct me if I’m wrong).

34. Synesthesia says:

I finally got my new 3ds, and luigi’s mansion is wonderful. Mainly that.

Also I started MH4U, but I immediately found oput its fucking DARK SOULS WITH CRAFTING so I ran away in fear of my life. It’ll get me, eventually.

35. canis39 says:

What am I playing this weekend?

–The Long Dark
    –Into The Stars
    –Pinball FX2
    –Dominion online
    –maybe some Farming Giant

36. Immobile Piper says:

37. Eawyne says:

Just finished Wolfenstein : The new order with my wife watching. That game was a blast, a very good experience that we both loved very much ^^ Details, characters, richness… Can’t wait to get more like that !

And after that, on to Witcher 3 ! Finally.

38. Radiant says:

RISING THUNDER

Where’s the RPS coverage?

• ExitDose says:

So that’s what Seth Killian has been doing, these days. I’ll have to check that one out.

• Kitsunin says:

Pretty damn excited for this. Pretty stingy with keys as of yet though, it seems. Ugh, I’m waiting for keys for way too many games right now.

39. cylentstorm says:

Ah…I may start with Cosmonautica, then move on to the MASSIVE backlog of games that I think about playing but never actually do. I have been trying to focus upon a single game at a time with intention of “finishing” the central plot/campaign/trail of bread crumbs in order to free up some disk space. The problem is that I have developed something of an aversion to game endings. My preference has shifted to vast sandboxes with amorphous or nonexistent “endgames.” I no longer care about saving the world or rescuing princesses because I’m having too much fun on the journey to such artificial conclusions.

That said, there are a few titles floating around my PC that could be barreled through with reckless abandon and subsequently shoved out an airlock, so that could be my mission for this weekend. That is, of course, assuming that I am not seduced by the tantalizing charms of those…wild…endless…spaces–sorry–gotta go…

particlese says:

I finally got round to playing that Top Score podcast Graham posted about a couple weeks ago. Really good/interesting stuff in there, and it got me in a proper musical mood, so I also played The Keyboard a fair amount today. I’m not very good at it, but sonofabutt it’s so satisfying and goosebump-generating to hear even just a couple measures of Beethoven or whathaveyou as a result of pressing a bunch of fancy buttons with my own fingertips. Definitely need to play that one some more.

ALSO I MADE HIGHLY EDIBLE PASTA SAUCE AND AM THEREFORE KING OF THE WORLD

Oakreef says:

Playing with Windows 10 mostly.

42. ExitDose says:

Lord Of The Rings LCG, Netrunner, and Battle Brothers.

43. Grim Rainbow says:

Star Wars Galaxies.

Edski says:

Elite, smuggling stuff from where it’s legal to where it isn’t. The new elite, not the old one, though seven year old me actually did figure out that smuggling narcotics and slaves was a good way to make cash in the original game. And people say that our youth aren’t corrupted by video games!

Also, that photo of Alice reminds me of Andrew Eldritch in the Sisters of Mercy clip for Corrosion. Might go hunt down my CD of Floodlands.

45. DanMan says: