Silent Hills’ P.T. Hallway Hits PC In Fan Recreation

Calgary-based developer Farhan Qureshi has racked up roughly a lifetime’s worth of nerd cred by recreating the hallway from malaria dream horrorshow P.T. – the teaser for the potential Kojima-directed Silent Hill game that will now never be.

Good news for those of you who have been experiencing the cruel shakes of withdrawal since the original demo was removed from yer PS4. The remake is a one-man effort from Qureshi who describes his work and toil thusly:

“I started this project for a 3D modelling workshop I’m teaching for a game developer group here in Calgary,” writes Qureshi on his portfolio. “Originally I wanted to create an apartment scene for its simplicity, variety, and familiarity, but I wanted something more game-focused as the workshop is being targetted at the Calgary Game Developers. I ended up choosing the PT hallway as it’s an interior scene fairly close to an apartment, and the simplicity, variety, and familiarity still exist. Plus it’s no longer available to download, but I can make it live on in some fashion by doing this. At first I just wanted to make the P.T. hallway, then started adding sounds and… other things out of obsession.”

It was all put together in between his work schedule as a dishwash, but Qureshi’s eye is to the horizon – he’s hoping to find a job in game development, he says. “In total I’ve spent about 104 hours over four weeks making this, and I’m happy / burnt out enough to stop here,” says the poor guy. Ain’t a bad step forward.

Qureshi explains how exactly he remade the hallway so meticulously – from the coils on a telephone to fully recreated character models – on his website. You can download it from Itch.

You might also want to have a peek at Allison Road, an upcoming P.T.-inspired horror game.

1. subedii says:

Man I don’t even know what Konami is doing these days.

The prospect of a Guillermo Del Toro and Hideo Kojima helmed Silent Hill had everyone ridiculously excited for the franchise for the first time in years, especially after PT.

Then there’s throwing it wholesale down the memory hole, wiping all mention of Kojima from MGS5, and switching over largely to Pachinko machines (honestly this seems like the kind of move that’s reminiscent of Zynga. Remember them?).

Hope Platinum still gets the ability to make Metal Gear Rising 2 somehow.

• subedii says:

Also, given that Konami wanted to basically wipe PT from existence, what are the odds that this project would get C&D’d into oblivion?

It really does seem like something that Konami would send the lawyers after (as it’s attempting to be a wholesale recreation, and not just an “inspired by” project).

• RobF says:

One of the things about PT and likely why it’s treated differently is that whilst everyone’s treating it -as a game-, it’s essentially an advert. It’s a very well done advert but it’s still an advert.

And that likely changes a lot of the way this is handled internally by companies, especially if the game that the advert is for is no longer going to happen.

It’s a slightly more boring explanation, mind.

• bv728 says:

I see a lot of companies criticized for making “obviously bad decisions” that are, if you’re looking at the financial statements and know a little bit about how companies work, absolutely not bad decisions. They’re not usually GOOD decisions, but they’re SAFE decisions, one that mitigate risk and preserve future value.

They’re really generic corporate decisions, basically.

Konami has been seeing routine year on year growth in the Pachinko market for at least a decade now without much work. The hardware’s similar, development costs are low, returns are high. Same thing with their fitness centers and casino machines. Video games are ~51% of their total income, but their margin is much lower than other areas.

I don’t think Konami is getting out of gaming like some people do, but I think somewhere in there, they’re tired of boom/bust financial results based on if a specific project does exceptionally well.

• Det. Bullock says:

Still no reason to delete a title that’s already come out, and sincerely I think that digital distribution on consoles is really fucked up, when a game is retired from Steam or GOG.com you can still download and install it if you bought it but on consoles I alway hear about titles that can’t be installed anymore because the publisher retired it for some reason, or is there something that eludes me?

• subedii says:

As far as I’m aware, any time a game’s been removed from Steam, it’s still been available for the person that bought it re-download it again.

And GOG well, thankfully that pretty much goes without saying.

I don’t know if EA’s Origin would or wouldn’t, but I don’t think they’ve ever directly pulled anything from their store so far.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

And even if they do pull it completely, *somebody* will have backed up the files, and it should be possible to crack any DRM on them.

On a locked-down console, that’s extremely difficult.

• GWOP says:

Konami’s Pachinko business makes about $240 billion profit annually. Games don’t make much of a ping compared to their health clubs, casinos and pachhinko business. Which is why they are moving off to mobile – low development time and cost and relatively high returns (at least until that bubble bursts).

• letoeb says:

No, that’s yen, not dollars. Still, your point stands, mostly.

• Eight Rooks says:

Konami’s share is not that high (they’re not one of the major players IIRC), but the pachinko business itself is. Most articles over the past few years put it at trillions of yen/billions of dollars.

• dethtoll says:

Not everyone was excited.

2. prof_yaffle says:

I went round the hallway once, then got on the nope train out of there. So this recreation definitely has the atmosphere down pat. I’ll try again when I’m feeling braver.

One note for Linux users. The keyboard doesn’t work for movement. If you press W you get stuck walking forwards constantly. Also while a controller will work for movement, it doesn’t work for looking around. Using a mix of controller and mouse works perfectly, even if it is a bit awkward.

3. Eight Rooks says:

I’m not sure you really understand just how much money pachinko makes in Japan, and how potential new legislation means it’s only going to go up, IIRC. To say nothing of how much money F2P gaming is making. It’s not Konami foolishly throwing away a sure-fire money maker to chase a bubble that’s going to burst and bring them their just comeuppance: it’s them coldly examining their balance sheets and deciding handing millions of dollars to prima-donna auteurs for shaky returns isn’t worth the hassle any more (MGS’ profits are neither a sure thing nor as huge as the suits would like), when they could spend the bare minimum and see unimaginable profit. They don’t care what their “core gamer” fans think: why would they, when there are millions upon millions more Japanese people willing to fund mobile games and slot machines?

• Eight Rooks says:

(Bah, was meant as a reply to subedii above.)

• subedii says:

Which is pretty much why I drew the comparison with Zynga. Because everything you just said about Konami? Was precisely said about Zynga as well.

Then as now, it’s easy to see the potential benefits. However dismissing the potential pitfalls is equally dangerous. Any attempt to suggest that Zynga’s model could lead to dangerous short term-ism was dismissed as being ignorant of “market realities”.

For that matter, what exactly marks Guillermo Del Toro, and Kojima, as “prima donna” auteurs? For the most part whenever I’ve read interviews with them they’ve come across as fairly straightforward guys (and crikey, I don’t even like most of the MGS games). Maybe I’ve just been reading the wrong ones.

• Eight Rooks says:

No, no, sorry, regardless of financial wisdom or otherwise I meant Kojima, and I meant a prima donna, etc. from Konami’s point of view, as in why would they bother catering for a “personality” who demands complete creative control when they can get in someone who’ll work for hire for much less and the games will still shift/earn millions? Super Bunny Hop had a video where he’d spoken to someone who claimed to be an insider close to the situation (and who had apparently given several fairly convincing hints that he might be on the level) who said the president of Konami absolutely despised Kojima, and it’s not hard to see how an old-school Bobby Kotick type might think the guy beneath his notice, IMO.

But yeah, sorry, not convinced it’s all going to end in tears. Zynga was just one high profile case with incompetent management who didn’t see the writing on the wall. Yes, there are any number of companies struggling to profit from mobile gaming but there are more than a few consistently raking it in and showing no signs of being in danger – and it was obvious Zynga were leaning too heavily on one game and one formula from very early on – not to mention that the pachinko industry is worth billions of dollars, and again, it’s not going anywhere. Konami certainly deserve the contempt, no argument there, but too much of the reaction to their behaviour seems like petulant “Well, uh… YOU’LL BE SORRY, just you wait” with absolutely no basis as to why beyond “…because you were mean, and it’s not nice when you’re mean”.

• subedii says:

You used the term Prima Donna, not me. I just asked why Kojima is supposed to be denigrated in that fashion.

prima donna
            ˌpriːmə ˈdɒnə/
            noun

– the chief female singer in an opera or opera company.

a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance.

If that’s not what you meant to say, then fine, all I was asking for was an interview or something as to why (And yes, I have seen the Bunnyhop video).

To sum up the key inference you seem to be making of the rest, and ignoring the hyperbole for a moment:

But yeah, sorry, not convinced it’s all going to end in tears.

As far as I can see I made no statement that it would.

However, let’s talk about Zynga for a second. When the monetisation of their model dried up they did quite literally shift models to invest into straightforward real-world gambling (hence why I made the comparison). It is a very direct comparison.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Except that Zynga has existed only since 2007 with it’s primary focus being social apps. Their CEO has also shown to be fairly incompetent (this was the guy who basically said he doesn’t give a shit if his programs install impossible to remove spyware.)

Konami has been around since 1969 and has constantly shifted their focus to coincide with what works for the company. I am not familiar with who their CEOs have been, but given what I understand of how people are promoted in Japan I doubt there are too many silicon-valley-randroid-frat-boys running things. Maybe a cat or two, but that’s it.

Is Konami’s future success a guarantee? No, but using Zynga as a cautionary example is a little bit disingenuous.

• Eight Rooks says:

@DelrueofDetroit – yep, pretty much. People mostly seem to bring up Zynga not because of any trenchant insight into their financial mistakes but because “Mobile gaming = evil, and if you stop catering to core gamers and chase profits from eeeeevil, then you’ll get what’s coming to you”, and that particular narrative appeals to them. It’s nonsense. Konami have very, very sound financial reasons to be doing what they’re doing – heartless, shitty reasons, true, but they’re not stupid people, they know they stand to make a lot more money a lot faster this way, and there is no gigantic pothole they’re about to fall into just because Zynga’s upper management were idiots.

And subedii, from the perspective of Konami’s management I’m pretty sure Kojima would count as “a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance”. I’m guessing that as far as they’re concerned, developers are all the same, and instantly replaceable – and I can hardly blame them. I’m pretty confident the majority of consumers in Japan probably wouldn’t have a clue who Hideo Kojima is, and yet would still happily pour money into a Metal Gear Solid match-3 game regardless.

• subedii says:

Good grief people are writing in an awful lot of stuff that I explicitly did not say. And there’s a reason for that, largely because I agree that these moves do not inherently condemn Konami to failure. I don’t make such a statement because there’s no way to know if it’ll end up that way.

I’m not going to be drawn into how Zynga’s leadership were “idiots” however, because I don’t believe that either. They just got desperate when a business model failed that all the industry heads at the time told them was doing really well and which they were the forefront of.

I wouldn’t bet against that. Thing is, I’m not confident in the other way either. That route is basically what EA did with Dungeon Keeper. “Guaranteed” success on its face before it launched.

• dreadguacamole says:

Somewhat unrelated, but on the commentary for one of Park Chan Wook’s movies, the director comments that Kojima was a big fan of Oldboy, and finangled to meet him and interview him – and that they couldn’t find any common ground at all. It’s a short aside, but he sounded pretty dismissive.

Apparently he’s come around, since he had some nice things to say about one of the MG5 trailers, but having watched the trailer, I’m thinking more of a PR job (especially seeing Refn’s hilariously overblown praise)

• Scumbag says:

I’m somewhat confused as to why people are using the mobile market argument with this and are ignoring Pachinko. Considering it is one of the only legal forms of gambling in Japan (as it is technically not gambling) and with Konami moving in on other possible gambling franchises as legislation changes, from a business perspective I cant really argue with this.

Make excessively expensive games for a market that has had a constant rumbling about bubble bursting for years?
      Make systems that are, by design, made to simply make money from people with low costs?
      If I were at the top of a company that possibly counts within the Keiretsu, yeah, the money is where it is.

4. TheAngriestHobo says:

So… Silent Hall?

• AriochRN says:

Aisle bet, in the passage of time, there hallways will be a pun comment on RPS

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Wait, is this a pun because an aisle and a hallway are kind of the same thing or because Sam Barlow made both Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Aisle?

5. Freud says:

It would have been interesting to see what they would have done with a Silent Hill game with del Toro and Kojima.

As for P.T. The jump scares in it are so evil I can’t even hate them for having something as cheap as jump scares in it.

• MarcoSnow says:

You’re in luck, Guillermo del Toro still plans to work with Hideo Kojima on a future project. They obviously don’t own the rights to Silent Hill, but they could easily work around it by creating a new IP that captures the essence of their original project. If P.T. is any indication of the quality of this upcoming project, then we’ve got something great in store for us.

Here’s the link to the article on Polygon:

link to polygon.com

• horrorgasm says:

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for that to happen though, with Del Toro’s luck on getting projects like this actually completed and released.

• Jalan says:

With his luck getting anything completed and released, really. I have a lot of respect for the man but he needs to dial back on saying what he’ll do vs. what he can actually get done.

6. Synesthesia says:

Fuck’s sake, I’ll never get over the fact we will never have a silent hill kojima game. Maybe a giant dev can buy the rights and get it done? It’s such an obvious slam dunk, what a loss.

7. caff says:

Didn’t try the PS4 demo that came out, but this scared the pants off me.

8. Eight Rooks says:

On Konami’s new direction/corporate culture – Kotaku link to/summarise a Nikkei article that’s pretty damned scary. Apparently their entire workforce now seem to be treated as disposable drones who are not permitted independent thought, let alone Kojima. Christ, I’m surprised the man got out of there alive (and I’m not even completely joking). Not sure if a link will get caught by the filters (or I’ll screw up the code and be unable to edit) but the article is here.