Act Of Aggression Gives The Cold War Another Go

Coming September 2nd is a game that recreates that time in the ’80s when you were pretty sure it was 98% possible you’d die because somebody in the oval office sneezed and accidentally hit the nuke button. Upcoming RTS Act of Aggression [official site] will start down that path with superweapons to deploy when regular armies aren’t enough, giving you a fantastically maniacal looking game with the worst foreign policy ever:

“Where diplomacy fails, nuclear war prevails” reads the press release in, presumably, the voice of Patton. There’s three super powers, each of which has its own super nuke of sorts. There are references to things like Peacekeeper missile silos and Patriot Launchers which Oh Boy sets my little hippie peacenik brain a’spinnin’ – but, to be fair, it’s less militaristic than Cold War Fantasy – the war is being fought by futuristic military factions, with specialised future-units and bombs that remain prototypes in reality. And gee, blowing everything up does look cool when you look at it, and really isn’t that what matters in the end?

Anyway, I hope they make Dr. Strangelove DLC.

1. FuriKuri says:

Ever since dropping my first nuke in the original Command & Conquer, so-called RTS superweapons have nearly always been a bitter source of disappointment. I understand the reason, gameplay (of course) but quite why devs insist on calling something with a 500m radius a nuke is beyond me. Double fail if the damn thing doesn’t even take important base structures down past half health.

Honourable exception: World in Conflict

• Cross says:

I guess it’s a question of power inflation really. When a Fuel Air Bomb takes out less than 10m in diameter, the nukes kinda have to be to scale, and that means baby’s first WMDs.

• jeeger says:

You need to play some Supreme Commander! In Supcom, the “superweapons” are actual game enders, if you’ve managed to build one, it’s game over. For a sample of two artillery pieces: link to youtube.com

• morbiusnl says:

you clearly never played supreme commander.

• FuriKuri says:

I have, thought about mentioning it… But while they are powerful, it’s still only about a screen’s worth of destruction.

Although now the TA/SupCom series is in my mind, Planetary Annihilation is probably more akin to what I want when someone says ‘superweapon’.

Posted from my Secret VolcanoBase.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

At least ONE game gets the scale right…

link to mkv25.net

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Dang narrator and his “new killer missiles”

3. SuicideKing says:

Now we need a Rise of Nations reboot and the RTS revival shall be complete (sans Age of Empires. Boo.)

cairbre says:

Looking forward to this game. Waiting for full release thou.

5. Neutrino says:

The ‘superweapons’ in this appear to do less damage than a single 1000lb free fall bomb. Looks pretty lame to me.

6. Tiax says:

Agreed, I’d like to like this game, but this is just ridiculous.

7. Kollega says:

I bought AoA a few days after the open beta started, and hasn’t regretted it one bit. It’s like a smarter, more hectic version of Command & Conquer. Because of the way the resource system is set up, map control is vital, and sitting in your base twiddling your thumbs is guaranteed to get you roflstomped, even by the easy AI. Also, the graphics are extremely detailed (though you won’t have the time to look at the unit models) and the soundtrack is like the Greatest Hits compilation of the music from Red Alert 2 and Generals.

In short, AoA may not be perfect, but I can still recommend it on just how close to perfection it is. Just like Cities: Skylines became the next great city-builder, Act of Aggression can well become the next great RTS.

• EhexT says:

It’s a worse version of the game it’s a sequel of, Eugens Act of War. It’s got less features (they cut ambush for one thing and that was incredibly critical to making infantry interesting and useful) and has none of the advances of later Eugen games. It’s a horrible step backward – a ten year step backward at that.

It’ll still get great reviews, because even a watered down Act of War is still a more advanced RTS than we’ve got out of EA or Blizzard and the games media never realized Act of War existed.

8. David Bliff says:

The beta is fun.

9. Zenicetus says:

The narrator can’t pronounce “nuclear.” Or is “nukular” supposed to be some kind of inside joke? The “railguns” don’t have railgun trajectories. The nuclear weapons are all very low yield tactical, and if you’re using this many, then why not drop a cluster of MIRV’d H-bombs and level the place?

Ugh… I think I just couldn’t get past that first “nukular” in the narration.

• Universal Quitter says:

Of course it’s a joke, you moron. Taking yourself that seriously can’t possibly be healthy.

10. All is Well says:

I really want Eugen to finish this, but mainly because I want them to make a new Wargame.

11. Darkz0r says:

I’m glad steam refunded me even with more than 2 played hours.

Played a bit of it but gameplay is uber repetitive. I’m trying really hard to find a game to play with a friend but we ended up playing more Age of Empires III than this.
    Its always: factory factory, mass units, take control of stuff…either you overwhelm early or you get overwhelmed and GG.

Zoom distance is HORRIBLE and considering how good graphics are, devs are not very smart. They say its because of “performance”, I don’t buy it.
    Playing in satellite view is good but does get old.

I’m having more fun with aoe 3/2 and FAF (free).