Don’t Starve: Shipwrecked Expansion Announced

Isn’t it nice when two great developers come together to brutally murder you? Two groups whose work you admire and appreciate sit down with a bottle of brosé and a notepad and ask themselves “How can we really screw you?” Boats, is the answer.

Don’t Starve [official site] developers Klei Entertainment have teamed up with Capy, the gang behind Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP and Super Time Force, for the next expansion to their sandbox survive ’em up. It’s named Shipwrecked, and you can guess how that works out.

“With new playable characters, biomes, creatures and seasonal effects; Wilson and the whole Don’t Starve cast of characters embark on a sea-bound journey of exploration, adaptation and of course, starvation,” they say.

That’s about all they have to say for now, but I’m sure you can imagine your own horrible deaths.

Shipwrecked is due this autumn on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It will be a single-player expansion, though Klei have been quite good about rolling SP expansion content into the co-op Don’t Starve Together so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it sailing over there later too.

Have a hint of horrible things to come:

1. Cantisque says:

Sometimes I wonder whether this game would have been as well-received if it didn’t have such stellar visual presentation. It certainly sets itself apart from the other survival games in that respect.

• Jakkar says:

And, in positive terms, only in that respect…

I keep bouncing off Don’t Starve. The literal depth (as in ability to dig and climb in complex environments) emerged as a huge hook for me, but one I didn’t fully realise was in play until I tried to play an entirely flat survival game.

It lacks the depth of, say, that Scandinavian survival roguelike, while lacking the freedom/scale/variety/unpredictability of something like Terraria or Minecraft.

It just has the Gorey-Burtonisms, which feel a tiny bit like they’re trying too hard x.x

• anHorse says:

I had the same experience of bouncing off, I’d give it another go but to be honest I’ve had enough of the whole survival genre now.

It is a little weird that I didn’t like it though as Klei’s other two recent games (mark of the ninja and Invisi inc) are some of my absolute favourite games.

• Kitsunin says:

My opinion is that it’s reasonably fun game…the first time you ever play it. But then you realize you basically have to grind all sorts of things to get started and my god is that boring.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Wow, I’m shocked that there are so many more comments (at the time of this writing) that are negative about the game than positive about it. I always feel in the minority when reading through any comments on a Don’t Starve posting, since most people seem to love it. Kitsunin perfectly sums up my feelings on the game – it was fun the first time I played it, but after dying (not too far into the game), I quickly realized that the tedium of starting over from scratch each time really turned me off and bored me. I’ve tried to go back to the game once since then and still found that I didn’t get along with it at all.

• Ejia says:

This is precisely how I feel. Don’t Starve is an intersection of survival horror and roguelike, two kinds of game I’m not particularly fond of. Combine that with the ridiculous amount of things you have to collect just to do anything, and it just isn’t for me.

• Perry Noid says:

That is the same experience I had the first time I played it until I went back about a year later and couldn’t stop playing. I have over 100 hours in the game now because while it does feel grind-ey at first the excitement and intrigue builds exponentially the farther along you get in the game. Even if you survive through all 4 seasons it does not get dull for me. There are some who have mastered the game completely and do get bored I’m sure of it but for me it is a consistently challenging and rewarding game.

The art style is a draw but when it comes to the aesthetics ther most gripping thing about the game for me is the lore and lovecraftian themes. The way it’s presented allows enough space for you to craft your own imaginary mythology (though it does have a canonical plot if you dig deep enough). Just like in the way a book requires an interplay between reader and book to project a world the game gives me that in an entirely different style than say a comic or novel does, let alone a movie or another plot driven linear game.

But that is me, the game either resonates with you or it doesn’t. I can only say that what didn’t click for me the first time clicked and then some the next time I seriously devoted myself to it. Needless to say, I am very excited for this expansion. It is second on my list of most anticipated games behind MGSV even though it is a bit too early to say. I’m just basing this off of the fact that when Klei expands on it has been more than I ever hoped for each time.

And in passing I just want to say that this is my first post here on RPS though I’ve been a visitor to the site for years. It is my favorite gaming website by far and the people who comment here are a cut above the rest as well.

• Perry Noid says:

Oh shit! And speaking of Lovecraft, now I’m hoping that you can get on your boat and find that cyclopean city where Cthulhu waits dreaming. I know I know, people are probably sick of Cthulhu but shit. I think this a perfect opportunity to introduce some Cthulhu, Dagon, or Deep ones.

• dethtoll says:

Honestly the game itself is pretty meh. As a survival sim it seems to be largely luck-based as a replacement for complexity. But the visual style is pretty great and I would absolutely watch an entire cartoon series based on the IP in that style.

• Daniel says:

I think the fact that it is actually finished and not stuck in a never ending early access makes it rather distinct from other survival games.

2. w0bbl3r says:

Since this isn’t being developed by Klei, I won’t be buying day one, sorry to say.
    I will be waiting a while to see how well it is received. Not convinced any other team can do don’t starve anywhere near as good as Klei. They are one of the best indie developers around right now.

• zentropy says:

While I totally understand your sentiments, Capy are for real. I hold them in almost as high regard as recent Klei. <3

• zentropy says:

Also, you people, this game is totes amazeballs. Get hype FFS!

3. Ross Angus says:

Perhaps the next DLC should be with Ice Pick Lodge, developers of Knock Knock.

4. Xzi says:

Much negativity indeed. It’s one of the best survival games out there (even better than Minecraft, that excels more at being a builder) and you come across a lot of new stuff each play-through. If you only played it and died the once, you haven’t even seen 1/100th of what the game has to offer. In other words, you’re a bunch of uptight overachievers who apparently can’t stand to die even once on the way to victory. The whole point is that the odds are stacked against you, but I guess with so many easy games out there offering instant gratification, it can’t hold some peoples’ attention.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Oh get over yourself. If you like the game that much, that’s great, I’m glad you enjoy it. But, as apparent from many of the comments above, the basic mechanics of having to collect a bunch of stuff (taking a significant amount of time) just to get back to where you were before you died does not appeal to a lot of people. “So many easy games out there offering instant gratification”? Come on now – that’s not at all why I don’t stick with this game. I don’t find it hard – I just don’t find it fun. And having a family, I don’t have the hours that I use to have to put into gaming, so I’m certainly not going to put my rare gaming time into a game I don’t get along with.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I kind of think you’re both right: it can be a fantastic game, but only if you’re willing to put the hours in. It can be a real grind, but setting up a base camp where much of that grind is automated is really gratifying. Then all the craziness and weird discoveries come in, plus trying to survive winter… But yeah, it can seem like too much hard work sometimes.

• Cik says:

No worries, The huge vast majority of Don’t Starve Players are enthusiasts, and never visit this site, so. . .no worries.

5. fish99 says:

The thing that annoys me is the scripted attacks. They ended my only serious attempt at playing the game when I’d nearly survived winter, and I haven’t been back to it since. It’s a big difficulty spike and the combat isn’t exactly reliable to start with.